The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

especially since PC gamers have been gaming at 1080p with decent frame-rates, for more than a decade now (now embracing 4k).

I'd love to see what 4K looks like in person. I imagine it're pretty spectacular when you consider 4K is to 1080p (the holy grail of console gaming) as 1080p is to 860x540 (would have been considered totally unacceptable even last generation).

do playing at 4K in 1080p display give much more clarity than 1080p with good AA?

i have never even once playing game superscaled so i really dont know. I always play 900p on my monitor and 720p on my TV. They look sharp enough and good looking if i have SMAA applied.

for withctcher 3, i prefer they pursue frame rate stability, good filtering, and mimalize pop-in. its distracting when walking enjoying the view, but not disctacting at all when on action (from the gameplay video i watched on gamersyde).

do playing at 4K in 1080p display give much more clarity than 1080p with good AA?

I'm currently running three PC games (ones that I'm playing at the moment anyhow) in 4K... Crysis 3, BF4 and GTA IV with ENB/ICE mods. As for AA, usually I set it quite low or off.. It's really not needed, and clarity is insane

That's what happened to me when I got my first 1080p monitor. The pixel pitch was so dense and there were so many pixels that round surfaces were looking great even without AA, cos there were enough pixels to show the curvature.
I haven't seen 4K in person, but I am guessing similar results !

That's what happened to me when I got my first 1080p monitor. The pixel pitch was so dense and there were so many pixels that round surfaces were looking great even without AA, cos there were enough pixels to show the curvature. I haven't seen 4K in person, but I am guessing similar results !

I've been very impressed with my 4K TV with 1080p output from the PS4. I've tweaked the 'reality' settings (I.e. customised the way the TVs 1080p to 4K upscaler works) and it produces a fantastic picture :yes:

I'm okay with 900p upscaled honestly. 1080p would be sweet. So is 60fps. But it's never taken away from my enjoyment of the game. As long as they can get it locked 30fps that would truly be ideal.

Just working through witcher 2 right now. So much better than Witcher 1 [which after a while I gave up and watched the 3 hour movie]. But I might be too much of a Bioware guy, something about this game isn't catching me whole and I'm not sure what.

I have to say it, it's blasphemy :p

I liked W2 a lot, but for me W1 was really amazing, very large world, the audio was awesome too.... I felt "trapped" on W2, not as free as W1. And the scenario was pretty weak (but needed to make the story progress I guess) compared to W1.

EDIT : oups, didn't see I was on the console section. I only played them on PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been very impressed with my 4K TV with 1080p output from the PS4. I've tweaked the 'reality' settings (I.e. customised the way the TVs 1080p to 4K upscaler works) and it produces a fantastic picture :yes:

Good to hear bud. A good 4K LED-LCD with proper scaling interpolation hardware, does wonders with 1080p material. PC gaming wise, I must admit, I can't go back to 1080p settings no more... looks so early 2000 compared to 4K gaming. But my PS4 gets a pass though, since I love their first party games.

Last edited by a moderator:
1080p and SMAA...drop the graphics down a bit if you have to. i'd like native 1:1 for my TV...subpixel crawl is really annoying to me
There is no pixel crawl if you run a game at 900p. Ryse comes to mind, especially, it looks better than like 95% of 1080p games out there.

Trials Fusion and a few others run at 900p and there is not such a thing.

I have to say it, it's blasphemy :p

I liked W2 a lot, but for me W1 was really amazing, very large world, the audio was awesome too.... I felt "trapped" on W2, not as free as W1. And the scenario was pretty weak (but needed to make the story progress I guess) compared to W1.

EDIT : oups, didn't see I was on the console section. I only played them on PC.

lol no worries. haha. I guess my thing with W1 was actually the world. I just needed a little bit more direction, which is generally what I demand from RPGs. I've never been a big fan of a completely open world RPG, it's harder for me to get into.

Having said that, I suppose that Baldur's Gate was sorta open world? So maybe I don't know for sure what I want in a game. The Bioware/BlackIsle games back then are still my favorite RPGs to date.

W1: got bored quickly
W2: struggling playing in my laptop, bored. then play on PC, bored again.

i feel that i cannot find the story that "pull" me to proceed forward in witcher series. its more like i am the one pushing the story forward.

the weird thing is, i got the similar boredom on Skyrim but the silly things in-between make me want to keep playing.

looking at the trailers, W3 will be a serious game again but with better story "pull" factor.

From that link, further confirmation of 6 cores available to games:

Rashid Sayed: Tell us how RedEngine is utilizing quad core technology across PC/Consoles in an efficient manner?

Balazs Torok: We are always trying to improve our multi core usage, but quad core CPUs were already quite efficiently used in the Witcher 2. The game, the renderer, the physics and audio systems are all running on different threads, and we are trying to maximize the efficiency. Since both current gen consoles provide 6 cores for the developer, our goal is to make the engine scalable.

A bit of new info in this Developer Presentation from EGX 2014 ;)

It starts slowly but then it becomes quite interesting so worth watching for Witcher fans :D

http://thewitcher.com/news/view/867

As gamers, we nowadays have to hold on tight to our wallets, as surprisingly right after release, lots of tiny pieces of tempting content materialize with a steep price tag attached. Haven’t we just paid a lot of cash for a brand new game?

As CD PROJEKT RED, we strongly believe this is not the way it should work and, with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we have decided to do it differently. Cutting to the chase, everyone who buys Wild Hunt will receive 16 specially prepared DLCs absolutely for free. This is our way of saying thank you for buying our game.

On February 25th we will release the first bundle of DLCs (2 of the planned 16) -- the Temerian Armor Set (horse armor included)

Q: What do I have to do to receive the 16 free DLCs?
A: The only thing you need to do to receive the 16 DLCs is purchase The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. All of the DLCs will be available for free on every platform (i.e. Xbox One, PC, and PlayStation 4).

Some seriously good stuff going on there! Yeah! :)

Just over 4 months to go :D
I'm glad I've pre-ordered this game as I like my money being used in a good way!

I insta preordered the game after seeing that text, not that the purchase was ever in doubt, but still. It was the first game I purchased from their store, but still got the loyalty discounts by inputting my old Witcher 1 and 2 keys :) that is good stuff, and all the DLCs for free in this age of friggin "DLC on the disc" and "season passes" just feels great. These guys made me insta preorder their game unlike Shadow of Mordor which was already in my basket in Steam until I noticed that yeah it has a season pass... Now I'll get that much later.

Don't really expect any different from the company that created and run GoG. Kudos to them and also haha "horse armor included" :D

Back