PC

thewitcher314_12_2022kueec.png

EDIT:
RTX OFF
SDR-OFF.png

RTX ON
SDR-RTX.png
is that stone floor supposed to be wet?

RT reflection sometimes makes me wonder, whether what im seeing is what the developer intended.

Heh the same question comes to mind when I read SB’s posts. The things that bother him would make nearly every game unplayable.

Likewise, I can't understand how anyone can look at this...

1671297072268.png

And not only think it isn't excessively blurry (it's not even in motion) but not be bothered by it. It's like someone put drunk goggles on except the rest of the scene is relatively sharp and well defined.

If I went into a corridor with wet pavers like that and it looked like this I'd be wondering what drugs someone put into my drink. I have a friend over in Japan with pavers similar to those and when wet they most assuredly do not look like that. And if they aren't wet, then who is waxing them and why are they waxing them? :p

And if it was just "artistic" camera lens blur, then that would also affect the walls and other surroundings but it doesn't. It's distracting and headache inducing. Yes, other people don't react to blur as much as I do, obviously, otherwise there'd be more complains. :) But if things looked like that when wet or damp in the real world, I honestly would never be able to leave the house.

Perhaps if the entire scene was low resolution or blurred like that, it wouldn't bother me so much (I did live through gaming in the 90's after all ... gaussian blur was all the rage at one point :D). Who knows?

Regards,
SB

View attachment 7904

And not only think it isn't excessively blurry (it's not even in motion) but not be bothered by it. It's like someone put drunk goggles on except the rest of the scene is relatively sharp and well defined.

If I went into a corridor with wet pavers like that and it looked like this I'd be wondering what drugs someone put into my drink. I have a friend over in Japan with pavers similar to those and when wet they most assuredly do not look like that. And if they aren't wet, then who is waxing them and why are they waxing them? :p

And if it was just "artistic" camera lens blur, then that would also affect the walls and other surroundings but it doesn't. It's distracting and headache inducing. Yes, other people don't react to blur as much as I do, obviously, otherwise there'd be more complains. :) But if things looked like that when wet or damp in the real world, I honestly would never be able to leave the house.

Perhaps if the entire scene was low resolution or blurred like that, it wouldn't bother me so much (I did live through gaming in the 90's after all ... gaussian blur was all the rage at one point :D). Who knows?

Regards,
SB

That might be the dlss outputting the reflection at a lower res. It is blurry, but it's really not that big of a deal :) As you play, you'll just traverse that area in 2 seconds, most likely not even look at the floor and its all in the past in a blink of an eye. It won't prevent someone from enjoying the game, really

On Nvidia force enabling ReBar gave 4-5% extra performance with RT, bit odd Nvidia didn't add this to the list in their driver. The game uses multiple compute queues to overlap some work at the start of the frame (BVH refit, some RT work and some other compute stuff, maybe water) so the port is not as bad as it could be on the GPU (i.e. not a bog-standard D3D11 to D3D12 conversion).

Last edited:
did you experience this glitch or is it an Arc thing? The spiderwebs are magenta. This is in RT mode, if I disable RT they look grey as they should. This glitch occurs in any place with spiderwebs it seems, although the screengrab is from a part of the story of the Blood and Wine expansion.

xkJxXbo.jpg

View attachment 7904

Regards,
SB
Its weird. The specularity is fine with me. There are actually such surfaces that look like this. What bothers me the most is the blurry look. Its as if there is chromatic aberration just on the surface which makes zero sense

it turns out the magenta spiderwebs issue is related to gamma. I set the slider as indicated, placing it where the calibration image becomes barely visible and the spiderwebs look white now. However, under certain light circumstances they still look magenta, might be an issue with the GPU drivers, which I reported.

Last edited:
On Nvidia force enabling ReBar gave 4-5% extra performance with RT, bit odd Nvidia didn't add this to the list in their driver. The game uses multiple compute queues to overlap some work at the start of the frame (BVH refit, some RT work and some other compute stuff, maybe water) so the port is not as bad as it could be on the GPU (i.e. not a bog-standard D3D11 to D3D12 conversion).
How to frce enable rebar?

What is force enabling ReBar as opposed to enabling ReBar?
Nvidia only enable rebar for few whitelisted games.

So without being forced, games won't use rebar even if rebar is available/enabled.

Btw forcing rebar on witcher 3, got my frame rate down from around 60 to around 20

Never thought this game would be above what UE5 does currently. However thats probably going to change when full-fat UE5 games do appear.
I think true global GI will do that. Absolutely transform games I mean. So far we have only seen it in fortnite and Witcher 3 is a much more complex game so it stands out even more.

Of course, RT is very expensive. so UE5 will have an advantage having a pretty good approximation that's much cheaper by default in lumen as it's lighting solution

By the end of this gen even on console, how lighting traditionally was done up until this point will mostly be a thing of the past and look absolutely ancient by mosts standards I think

RTX OFF
SDR-OFF.png

RTX ON
SDR-RTX.png
the floor reminds me of this, a real life photo taken from someone I love a year ago.

BO7njB1.jpg

This is another photo of the same building.

UDTzwZP.jpg

Btw, I haven't been on places like Velen in the game, but..., is it me or did they tone down the excessive wind of the vanilla game? I remember that it was annoying how the wind blew strongly at all times. They didn't fix the kids though, they still look really strange, it's some kind of uncanny valley.

View attachment 7904

Regards,
SB

I hear you but video games by definition are chock full of weird visuals like that. Given how sensitive you are to them it’s just curious that you’ve been able to enjoy games at all.

the floor reminds me of this, a real life photo taken from my someone I love a year ago.

BO7njB1.jpg

This is another photo of the same building.

UDTzwZP.jpg

Btw, I haven't been on places like Velen in the game, but..., is it me or did they tone down the excessive wind of the vanilla game? I remember that it was annoying how the wind blew strongly at all times. They didn't fix the kids though, they still look really strange, it's some kind of uncanny valley.

They tone down the excessive wind. Videogame kids can be scary and. Aloy as a kid in HZD is looking strange, at least DS2 use a metahuman and they have a good baby. In Cyberpunk 2077, children looks like mini adult.

I hear you but video games by definition are chock full of weird visuals like that. Given how sensitive you are to them it’s just curious that you’ve been able to enjoy games at all.

Cyan find a photo of a real place where the floor look this...

Nvidia only enable rebar for few whitelisted games.

So without being forced, games won't use rebar even if rebar is available/enabled.

Btw forcing rebar on witcher 3, got my frame rate down from around 60 to around 20

Well turning it on without forcing it seems to do “something”. I never bothered to update the VBIOS on my 3090 to enable rebar. TW3 would peg PCIe usage to 100% for a few ms during each frame.

After I updated the VBIOS and enabled rebar in the BIOS the PCIe usage dropped way down as expected and Nsight reported a ton more rebar activity. There was no impact to frametimes though.

Well turning it on without forcing it seems to do “something”. I never bothered to update the VBIOS on my 3090 to enable rebar. TW3 would peg PCIe usage to 100% for a few ms during each frame.

After I updated the VBIOS and enabled rebar in the BIOS the PCIe usage dropped way down as expected and Nsight reported a ton more rebar activity. There was no impact to frametimes though.
Interesting. So maybe that's why Nvidia did rebar whitelisting.

As it already provide better perf even without fully enabled. And forcing enabling it, could result in issues. Like I got less than half performance

Btw turns out "borderless window" is bugged, and it's an advantageous one.

1440p scaled to 2160p via bugged borderless window, results in a much sharper image than using full screen.

To get the bugged borderless window

1. Use multi displays
2. Set as borderless windowed
3. Use win and arrow key to move the witcher to a different display
4. Move it back to main display. It will be displayed in borderless full screen window.

Back