The thrilling adventures of London-boy's shopping habits *spawn

So yeah. Hooked it up and it's hard to explain how overwhelmingly happy I am with it.

What sort of lighting environment is this in, is it a dark media-room or a typical well light by sunlight living room? Also, did this replace your Plasma or is that still serving duty in a different room?

What sort of lighting environment is this in, is it a dark media-room or a typical well light by sunlight living room? Also, did this replace your Plasma or is that still serving duty in a different room?

As you know I've always been the resident AV IQ freak so I put it through its paces.

My living room gets VERY bright during the day unless I close all the blinds and pretend I'm Dracula for the day. The TV is clearly more than bright enough and by comparison, my old plasma was pretty much unwatchable with all the ambient light.

On the other hand, now it's pitch black and that was my main worry, as the black levels on the plasma were pretty good. The ZD9 has by far better blacks. Black is actually black, even in a completely dark room. And the picture can have perfect black and at the same time stupidly bright highlights thanks to the full array backlight. AND!! No black crush nor near-black noise, which is still a problem on all OLEDs.

I kept hearing about ghosting and yes, if you look at the TV at an angle and there is a bright white object against a black background, you definitely see ghosting depending on how bright the TV is (on HDR for example). However from straight on or not too much at an angle, zero ghosting and blacks are black.

Everything else, just gorgeous. The set even corrects banding as much as it can, which makes everything looks so clear and smooth (yes I'm looking at you, Destiny).

So yeah if you have the cash, for now this is a better TV than an OLED simply because of the guaranteed brightness, as with on OLED always depends on how much of the screen is bright, and the crazy contrast. Plus the picture presets are pretty much perfect out of the box.

I honestly can't speak highly enough about this, and I was coming from my revered Panny plasma, which I gave to a friend.

Last edited:
What sort of lighting environment is this in,
Sort of like this
CpPw7tx.jpg

I will get a Pro at some point.

This point is well past its reasonable time period.

It's like you bought a pair of KEF speakers for $2000 plus a $1000 stereo amplifier and then won't listen to anything but FM radio and 96Kbps MP3 files.

This point is well past its reasonable time period.

It's like you bought a pair of KEF speakers for $2000 plus a $1000 stereo amplifier and then won't listen to anything but FM radio and 96Kbps MP3 files.

I know you're probably joking but the 4K HDR stuff on Netflix and Amazon is pretty sweet. I'll probably never get into new blurays so that's really the main thing I'm using the TV for and it's definitely worth it.

I know you're probably joking but the 4K HDR stuff on Netflix and Amazon is pretty sweet. I'll probably never get into new blurays so that's really the main thing I'm using the TV for and it's definitely worth it.
Longmire is in 4K in its later seasons and looks great. Starbuck/Sackhoff never looked so sharp! :) And the Netflix - Marvel series are all nice as well. Longmire is shown without any CGI though, and I can't spot any green screen unlike most other shows.

Edit: Bosch on Amazon is very good looking, and a good show. Titus Welliver (he of Deadwood fame) stars, and last season the show had a great cast in guest starring roles. The father from The Killing (recommended) was in it, as was Jeri Ryan and she was stunning. And again, no CGI I can remember seeing, and no green screen that I remember noticing.

I wonder if Netflix and Amazon are using the h265 codec.

Last edited:
If it has no cgi it wouldnt have a green screen
I don't understand all the technology that goes into today's shows, but I thought that they often film footage of a city street and then later the actors just do their scene in front of that. That saves a lot of time in getting things right, running out of daylight, and so on. And in addition to that they'll use CGI for special effects like explosions, fires, bolts of energy, and so on.

But now that I think about maybe the actors just do their thing without the benefit of seeing what they're supposed to be performing in front of. I remember seeing how Amanda Tapper's show, Sanctuary, was filmed and it was an eye opener. Very bare bones sets most of the time when indoors.

But now that I think about maybe the actors just do their thing without the benefit of seeing what they're supposed to be performing in front of.
Yes. You're right that they could use some other footage rather than computer generated imagery, but it still needs a composite using green or blue screen.

Back