The thrilling adventures of London-boy's shopping habits *spawn

Is it really sad that I'm in Antigua sunbathing and exploring for two weeks and I can't stop thinking of when I get back home and get my new TV, and fire up Horizon and some nice HDR content from Netflix? Sad.

That's better than bringing a PS4 Pro to Thailand and back to Finland with it taking about 40% of available volume and weight allowance in my luggage, only for me not to take it out of the box even once during my trip...

Well I'm looking for a TV as well now, but will probably go quite low budget... Let us know how you like the TV.

I was planning on getting an LG B6V (or 2017 7-series equivalent) at some point this year, but this thread has made me have another look at LCD. I don't think I can justify a ZD9 at the size I want (£3499!), but I'd like the best possible set for my budget. Now I have to do all of my research again because I'd completely discounted LCD, thinking OLED was the right choice.

Buying a tv is very nice, but no spending spree is complete without the
official b3d greatest purchase evar
the nicholas cage pillow case
n7DtPvN.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AA870UK/?tag=b3d-21

I was planning on getting an LG B6V (or 2017 7-series equivalent) at some point this year, but this thread has made me have another look at LCD. I don't think I can justify a ZD9 at the size I want (£3499!), but I'd like the best possible set for my budget. Now I have to do all of my research again because I'd completely discounted LCD, thinking OLED was the right choice.

I know how you feel! And yes £3499 was a bit of a crazy FUCK IT moment for me. I was all set for a new OLED but having seen them all and read up about it to the point of exasperating my partner, this one will do.

Yes, so much choice these days, shopping can be a lot of work. I had a wonderful experience this week though. I've just taken up indoor climbing and was confronted with making my first gear purchases. There are of course the ludicrous arrange of options all with their TM infected PR spiels and blurbs, but reading them I realised I don't care! Then I was free to just pick whatever looked nicest in my price range knowing I'll be happy with it.

Not really a luxury one can afford investing in a big ticket electronic purchase, but sooo refreshing! Ignorance truly is bliss.

I don't really go heavy into reading reviews for most things, but when there's that much money on the line I want to be sure :runaway:

Technology seems a little different, I think. There are many technical numbers for making comparisons such that we can 'scientifically' make the best investment. But after realising the numbers aren't the whole picture, you end up finding and reading the reviews. Everything from tablets to cameras to TVs to monitors, I spend an age researching to ensure I don't get a dud. And to be fair, I think I've only bought two or three lame products ever because of this attention to detail. But too much is a bad thing, for sure. The worst was buying my last TV. All the reviews for the model of Sammy were glowing, you just go to buy, and then you discover the little known 'same model TV at same price can come in three different panel configurations - all the review versions were the best panel but you've no idea what you're gonna get' caveat*. And then you find out you got the poor panel and an inferior product and don't feel so happy with your purchase than if you'd just stopped reading that little bit sooner.

* seriously, how can then the sell the 'same product' in good and bad varieties at the same price?! Surely it needs a different model number??

I got a stupidly expensive 65" Sony ZD9. After much deliberation, it seems the best option for my house.

I've deliberated with myself and I reached the exact same conclusion. It's the best option for my house too!
I'm not going to buy it, though. :(

Yeah that's Samsung for you. I'm usually quite open to any brand, but Samsung? No thanks.
Their 2016 midranges (KS7000/KS8000) are the best in their price categories, though.

So yeah. Hooked it up and it's hard to explain how overwhelmingly happy I am with it. I already had pretty high expectations, and most of all I only have an original PS4 to hook it up to. But even then I just can't believe how good this thing looks. Even normal 1080p games, which I was worried would look like a jaggy mess on such a big TV, look impeccable. Horizon looks great, the brightness and contrast is fantastic, although not a huge difference, but I didn't expect a lot from it on the original PS4. I think HDR really shines and pops when coupled with super sharp 4K material.

What's more shocking is that normal non-HDR games look frigging brilliant! My partner is raiding on bloody Destiny (I'm so over that stupid game) and the thing looks ridiculously good. Not a jaggy in sight. No lag. Even at 10 out of 50 backlight setting, it's scorching bright. Imagine HDR material that automatically cranks up brightness to max! There's literally no reason for us to get a Pro if games look this good on the original PS4 on this TV.

What really shines is 4K/HDR material from Netflix/Amazon (my only source so far). Even my partner, who is a Destiny freak and really couldn't care less of IQ (he's been happily playing from his PS4 to the MacBook through remote play for months and he said it looked "great"...) was shocked. "Wow It looks like a real picture".

For the price, I'd better be impressed. But even then this thing went way over my expectations.

So yeah. Hooked it up and it's hard to explain how overwhelmingly happy I am with it. I already had pretty high expectations...
That's very impressive. It's generally hard for anything to exceed our expectations when we set them high, because our expectations don't have engineering or natural law limits! :D

Back