The thrilling adventures of London-boy's shopping habits *spawn

I will get a Pro at some point. For now the original will do. Should still give me some nice result for HDR games, right?

I saw a 55" or something 4K, dont remember if was HDR, off brand TV on sale for $299. And this was weeks ago. Granted, it was a garbage brand, hisense I think.

They'll be stupid cheap this holiday already.

Whew, I was afraid you'd gotten the new LG Wallpaper TV. I'd have been extremely jealous if you had. Now, I'm only a tad jelly. :p

Regards,
SB

Way off topic but after months of research, the OLEDs just aren't there yet. So like I did with Plasma years ago, I decided to go for what is probably the best and most mature piece of an old technology as it is still better for my needs than the new and developing tech, which now has at least an extra 5 years to mature before it can enter my house.

I saw a 55" or something 4K, dont remember if was HDR, off brand TV on sale for $299. And this was weeks ago. Granted, it was a garbage brand, hisense I think.

They'll be stupid cheap this holiday already.

They don't review all that bad surprisingly, well Thier higher end models. They are not top tier but above the usual supermarket rebrand landfill fodder.
I think they make the panels for lots of the top companies so have a decent starting point tech wise.

Loads of HDR compatible TVs coming out so if you are after the real deal keep your witts about you when checking out cheap TVs.

Way off topic but after months of research, the OLEDs just aren't there yet. So like I did with Plasma years ago, I decided to go for what is probably the best and most mature piece of an old technology as it is still better for my needs than the new and developing tech, which now has at least an extra 5 years to mature before it can enter my house.

True in a way, what they don't tell you is even the best OLED has some kind of black crush going on. With a minimal amount of ambient light, a ZD9 compare well against a equivalent OLED.

True in a way, what they don't tell you is even the best OLED has some kind of black crush going on. With a minimal amount of ambient light, a ZD9 compare well against a equivalent OLED.

That was true in past years but apparently LG has addressed this for the coming 2017 panels.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/lg-w7-series-4k-oled-tv-review

The Sony ZD9 is basically only better WRT max brightness (which is much higher) It features more black crush than the new Wallpaper TV. It also still suffers from blooming and light halos as do all LCD TVs, although it has been improved in that area similar to the slightly better Panasonic DX900. http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1474868470

The brightness helps it on retail show floors as the lighting isn't calibrated for proper movie watching. In a properly lit room the Wallpaper will have better black levels but lower HDR max brightness. It also won't suffer from light halos and blooming (which is often one of the reasons why even 2016 OLEDs that suffered from banding in greyscale testing at the lower end scored higher than the best LCD TVs). It's a trade-off at the moment as there is no "perfect" HDR TV.

Anyway, all of this would probably be better served moved to the OLED thread or another thread created if we wanted to continue to the conversation.

That said, I completely understand why London-Boy would want to go for the ZD9. It's a fantastic TV.

Regards,
SB

If all these posts could be moved to some other thread, that would be nice!!
Regarding the W7 OLED... well that is really way beyond my budget! So it wasn't really an option :) same for all the 2017 OLEDs.

The ZD9 also has higher peak brightness when compared against most OLEDs afaik. Which is essential for high quality HDR. Dunno about the 2017 models though.

Back