The third DX9-card

LeStoffer

Veteran
Something I just spotted in Anandtech Sub-$200 Video Card Roundup:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1608&p=17

With DirectX 9 on the horizon the major hardware firms are diligently at work on their next-generation GPUs, from R300 to NV30 to something else being shown now behind closed doors - as usual, the graphics market always keeps us busy. Stay tuned.

...to something else being shown now behind closed doors... - ahh, the very elusive Matrox card? I'm betting on it. ;)

He left off the quote at the beginning of Anand's paragraph:

This is the perfect example of where competition truly brings us better choices in a market, it'll be interesting to see what happens if a capable third manufacturer returns to the scene. With DirectX 9 on the horizon the major hardware firms are diligently at work on their next-generation GPUs, from R300 to NV30 to something else being shown now behind closed doors - as usual, the graphics market always keeps us busy. Stay tuned.

A third capable manufacturer returns to the scene? Since Matrox has never really been gone or tried their hand at being competitive in 3D, and Bitboys has never been to the scene in the first place, it brings one company to mind. A certain gfx company that has a joint venture with one Taiwanese chipset maker, and a rumored DX9 part thats codenamed a certain South American country. ;) ;) ;)

Hope thats enough alluding, heh.

Smashed said:
He left off the quote at the beginning of Anand's paragraph:

This is the perfect example of where competition truly brings us better choices in a market, it'll be interesting to see what happens if a capable third manufacturer returns to the scene. With DirectX 9 on the horizon the major hardware firms are diligently at work on their next-generation GPUs, from R300 to NV30 to something else being shown now behind closed doors - as usual, the graphics market always keeps us busy. Stay tuned.

A third capable manufacturer returns to the scene? Since Matrox has never really been gone or tried their hand at being competitive in 3D, and Bitboys has never been to the scene in the first place, it brings one company to mind. A certain gfx company that has a joint venture with one Taiwanese chipset maker, and a rumored DX9 part thats codenamed a certain South American country. ;) ;) ;)

Hope thats enough alluding, heh.

Come on...

Do you really talk about S3 ?

McElvis said:
S3 was never really capable...

While they did have their share of problems with both drivers and hardware I wouldn't say they were incapable. Besides the non-functional T&L unit the Savage2000 wasn't that bad, it performed pretty good and it took only a minor hit with trilinear enabled.
Not to mention that they invented texture compression, one of the most important features ever.

Anyway, I'd guess it's Matrox.

Yes, OK. Maybe I was being a bit harsh with my earlier comment.

I remember when they showed off texture compression with them temple-like scenes. That looked amazing back then.

P.S. Was the Savage2000 the first consumer chip to be announced with TnL?

afaik, PowerVR, Matrox and S3 all could be behind that description.

if it is Rendition, that's bigger miracle than Bitboys having their chip ready for reviewing...

LeStoffer said:
kl899 said:
it must be Rendition!

No! It must be Number Nine!

sorry to disapoint you but Number Nine made a bankcrupt just before their PixelFuzion wonderchip powered card was coming out. after that company was sold to S3 which is now under VIA... (suprisingly, S3 wasn't interested continuing cooperation with pixelfusion and it caused them to go almost bankcrupt as well. New owners of PF decided turn a boat and now we have ClearSpeed.)

I read that somewhere... if I find a link to it, I'll post it here...

I'm sure that there's more of a chance that the company is Rendition than there is a chance of ATI releasing a decent Radeon driver!

kl899 said:
Nappe1 said:
if it is Rendition, that's bigger miracle than Bitboys having their chip ready for reviewing...

it would be a sure sign of the apocalypse :devilish: :devilish: :devilish:

hey, no offence, I didn't mean it that way...

I am sorry if that felt like attacking.

I would like to see Rendition coming back... they had very interesting eDRAM chips running when they fade away...

But fact is, Micron has said that they don't have any plans come back to graphics market in near future.

that's why, I think it would be very big suprise to see them back...

LittlePenny said:
McElvis said:
S3 was never really capable...

I do like this statement you made. And besides with Nappe1 on the ceiling could it really be anyone else besides Matrox?

8) :D :LOL:

okay, I make one thing clear... I am interested about Matrox because my own favorite has been quiet so long and Matrox's next part seems to get to closest... (and I have been happiest to their previous cards.)

BUT, what took me to the ceiling, was an small info coming from my own favorite. Not Matrox. To many of you it basically means nothing but I think it is great step forward.

Still, Matrox has something coming that will definately make some MURCers walk on walls and will definately cause serious planning on competitive companies. (and if I would tell list that I have heard, I would be on laughing stock right away. No one would believe me. That's why is better to wait.)

As I said, afaik, it could any of three: S3, Matrox or PowerVR. All have some troubles to fit in that description, but they are all in balance.
afaik, Parhelia isn't DX9 chip, but more like very fast Dx8.1 chip with some dx9 features. S3's Columbia is a mystery... no one really knows exactly how long it has been in development but rumours has been stating at least two or three re-schedulings. And PowerVR could propably have chip already far enough, but ST PC Division deal could be slowing things down...

If I would make a guess, I would guess Matrox.

Comment from former Diamond/Micron graphics division engineer (to be anonymous) : It could be Rendition : BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA (according to him there is no graphics or integrated division left at Micron (their integrated chipset was sold to Intel) he's working on memory right now)

Nappe1 said:
BUT, what took me to the ceiling, was an small info coming from my own favorite. Not Matrox. To many of you it basically means nothing but I think it is great step forward.

So Nappe1...If you don't mind me asking, what was it you heard?

Back