The Sony E3 megaton is ... Apple?

McFly

Veteran
http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/5771/

RUMOR: Sony and Apple working together on PlayStation 3

Friday, May 13, 2005 - 09:22 PM EST

The moderator of PS3 Forums, "The Unofficial PS3 H.Q." has posted the following:

Apple + Sony = PS3

I am now hearing stronger rumors that Sony is indeed working with Apple on the PS3. Most of this work is based around support for iTunes and iPop on the PS3.

iPod connectivity - Ability to connect the iPod to the PS3 and play it's music through the PS3 to your stereo or other audio playback devices. Will also provide some graphical effects on your TV during playback

iTunes linkup - Access iTunes and your music through the PS3. Purchase and download additiona tracks through the PS3. Wirelessly play iTunes music from your PC/Mac through the PS3

Sync support - Use the PS3 to sync your iPod with iTunes, no need for a PC or Mac to sync and add/remove tracks and organize playlists.

Apple may also be helping Sony with some UI design for the PS3 dashboard interface. No links, and for that I appologize, but I figured people would like to hear this information anyways. If the rumors hold true, this would be mutually benefitical for Sony and Apple in a lot of ways.

Full post and forum discussion here.

And, over at Engadget, Joshua Fruhlinger is reporting that, "Merrill Lynch analyst Steven Milunovich thinks Apple and Sony could be working on some big things." Full article here.

Steve Jobs at MacWorld Expo 2005, Tuesday, January 11, 2005, "You know, we do work very closely with Sony on digital still cameras and these new camcorders, which is really great. And who knows, maybe someday, computers and music, too." QuickTime video of Steve Jobs' comment at 57:38.

MacDailyNews Take: This is a rumor. Take it with a grain of salt. It would be very interesting, though, wouldn't it?

As you maybe know, the downloadable videos on iTunes are already in exactly the resolution and format of PSP vids, so ... hey, it could actualy be true.

Fredi

This would benefit both companies immensely.

Apple should stop pretending it can get into the living room just with mac and Sony should stop pretending it can catch up with ipod with PSP and Walkman phones.

This would be a good step for both companies. They have so much in common. I'd love to see this happen!

This is pretty cool. However it's not a megaton for certain. you can do this on xbox 360 and even more than that, but still it's a nice feature. I hope they have a cool looking visualizer like minter made as well.

It's not that big of a megaton because of those features, it's a megaton IMHO because Sony and Apple are closely working together on the PS3 and it would be a definitive megaton if Apple works on the PS3 interface/OS and the absolutly biggest megaton would be if Cell will be used in a Powermac.

Fredi

Qroach said:
biggest megaton would be if Cell will be used in a Powermac.

That wouldn't be a megaton for sony. it would be a megaton for IBM, whom already works with apple.

But still a megaton, at least for me that daily works with a Powermac and could use as much processing power as possible.

Fredi

1. Is this a sign Sony is giving up, to a degree, on their MP3 market? You don't see Sony putting Windows on their console, now do you? Sony has a lot invested into MP3s, hooking up with the market leader can only hurt their position. Sony needs to watch their bottomline, and that is tied with their consumer electronics as much as it is with the PS3. The PS3 will be with us 5-6 years and will probably sell 80M+ in that time frame--that is some good leverage if they can offer some snazzy features for their MP3 players and the like. Giving further momentum to iPod does not make sense to me in this regards less it is "cool" and they want to leverage the cool factor.

2. Joe DeFuria: Did you not hear that the PS3 will do micrtransactions also? A month after MS got crucified for it at GDC on the forums, Sony did a press release saying PS3 will also offer them. No one commented on the MS copycat / Sony bilking their customers. Now this...

3. When CELL was demoed it was stated in a couple news pieces not to expect the MAC to move to CELL, at least not for 2 or 3 years. This was not first hand Apple info, but from people inside the industry. They noted that porting would be a lot of effort and time, and there would be issues to overcome (e.g. CELL has a ton of FP power but is not tailored to your typical desktop tasks).

Either way I do not see this possible relationship stopping Apple from trying to get into the living room or PSP not trying to cut into iPod market share/mind share. Sony just recently was going on about how PSP is the new iPod.

I do not have Live, but one of the Compare/Contrasts mentioned that there was some downloadable/purchasable content at times on Live for the Xbox. Is that true?

EDIT: The thread you link to, down a ways, does confirm Live already has microtransactions. Not really a new concept either way to PC gamers who have been doing this for years with FREE mods, but it does seem MS did microtransactions first on a console (well, that is not true either as Nintendo did online stuff with the Super Famicom in Japan)... oh well... as long as you can claim to be the first :D

pahcman said:
i see no megaton in this apple tie... x360 can already play many media formats, support wider range hardware, sure rev can too. what hard to make usb media playback?

cell on macs? will how many even want buy overpriced macs? isnt cell cut down in terms of ppc macs chips performance?

Xbox 360 doesn't support quicktime and Real Media right?The sleek looks of the MAC OS will surely be an advantage to Sony.

hugo said:
pahcman said:
i see no megaton in this apple tie... x360 can already play many media formats, support wider range hardware, sure rev can too. what hard to make usb media playback?

cell on macs? will how many even want buy overpriced macs? isnt cell cut down in terms of ppc macs chips performance?

Xbox 360 doesn't support quicktime and Real Media right?The sleek looks of the MAC OS will surely be an advantage to Sony.

Apple UI will make a big difference in how users perceive the quality of PS3. Sony interfaces are great anyway Apple could only make it better.

pahcman said:
I don't think 'megaton' in terms of functionality. I think it's a case of 'megaton' through marketting. PlayStation AND iPod?! You can't get a much stronger brand association in modern consumer electronics. It's the size of the names coming together (if true) that stands out for me.

Maybe Sony can get Apple to drop Cell based PC prices into something affordable? Or maybe the two company's markups combines will results in hyper-inflated prices? (more likely!)

Hey, this sounds pretty good to me - IF true which it probably isn't. :)

I don't want no friggin mac or anything, but Apple is pretty 'in' these days and they design some good-lookin *!¤#, so it could have the potential to be schwee-eet!

Er connectivity with the ipod ? What happened to the psp being an ipod killer ?

Eh oh well . It would be an intersting team up and a good thing for apple . For sony i think its just a way for them to save money on making somethingl ike itunes and why not use something most people are used too

Back