The Order: 1886

Game looks disgustingly good... like unbelievable!!!

It just looks like CGI. Not even remotely realtime.

I still can't believe it. It's like black magic.

MJP and the rest of RAD, you guys are like ninja coding wizards.:p

Oh shiiiz my PS4 is not worthy, it's not worthy to run this realtime!! How can a game look this ungame like?? This is truthfully the new graphics benchmark to beat, congats to RAD, MJP and the team, you guys make my PS4 purchase that much better!

Wow, the third person combat in this look fantastic. And the atmosphere - it looks like scenes from The Prestige. I half expect Christian Bale to appear at any moment - especially with the Nikola Tesla character's inclusion :yes:

they need some tessellation, the game looks so good, any tiny flaw would stand out more. The up close camera on the characters are a bit blocky. Hope they can get some cheap silhouette tessellation in.

Drop the MSAA down to 2x and maybe you have a chance with tessellation, I feel like the engine is about to implode with the amount of stuffs rendered already.

Game looks disgustingly good... like unbelievable!!!

It just looks like CGI. Not even remotely realtime.

I still can't believe it. It's like black magic.

MJP and the rest of RAD, you guys are like ninja coding wizards.:p

They seem to be following a similar formula as in P.T.:

PBR + DOF + Chromatic aberration + motion blur + lots of grain = realism.

A lot of things which make The Order stand out goes way beyond just those you listed. Very high polycount models, 3d scanned textures, cloth physics, smooth animation, particles and lighting help greatly in achieving that CGI look. At least from what I can see.

This game will be out 15 months after console debuted... it's tech doesn't have to be PERFECT in every way. :D

What we are getting is already incredible.

With such low contrast images - everything we've seen is pretty dark so far - would we even notice if characters silhouettes are any smoother than they already are, given the very high poly count the models have been blessed with? Would we ever even know if the model has tessellation or not? A dark clothed character in a pitch black or otherwise very dark environment?

The answer is still the same as it's always been... I wonder if we'll ever get to the point of not actually caring that much about checklist points just for the sake of them.

With such low contrast images - everything we've seen is pretty dark so far - would we even notice if characters silhouettes are any smoother than they already are, given the very high poly count the models have been blessed with? Would we ever even know if the model has tessellation or not? A dark clothed character in a pitch black or otherwise very dark environment?

The answer is still the same as it's always been... I wonder if we'll ever get to the point of not actually caring that much about checklist points just for the sake of them.

Agreed - I'd much rather have eliminated aliasing than marginally nicer silhouettes.

The latest trailer has a scene on board a ship which is in daylight, not really dark, another in an illuminated cathedral. Just saying, nothing on topic of tessellation. It is the best looking game for me, as it is now. With or without tessellation.

A lot of things which make The Order stand out goes way beyond just those you listed. Very high polycount models, 3d scanned textures, cloth physics, smooth animation, particles and lighting help greatly in achieving that CGI look. At least from what I can see.
A lot of games have that and yet aren't perceived as realistic (i.e. Ryse, Infamous SS).

We have P.T. as an example of this, most of the assets are very basic yet it looks as realistic as The Order if not more.

Lots of darkness help as well.

This game is also quite heavily stylized, the way many movies are. The lighting, grading, costume and set design are all quite different from reality. It's a good thing though ;)

We have P.T. as an example of this, most of the assets are very basic yet it looks as realistic as The Order if not more.

Outch, come on! hahaha.
Basic in the sense of amount of texels in its textures and polys in ther geo, yeah, maybe. But that ignores that they were based of photometric and laser-scanned data, finely calibrated to their physically based brdfs and their lighting model,wich handles a bunch of lights with fresneld speculars, indirect lighting, AO, reflections and a bunch of other extra flair.
Put those assets on source engine or ue3 and see if they look as good. Some people say it all came down to a bunch of post effects, because they actually didn't notice a lot of the naturalness they percieved actually came from the improved lighting . CA or DOF were just minor parts of it. Its easy to dissect polygon edges and texture resolution, but acuracy of lighting is a bit more subtle, and often is mistaken for some funky color grading or whatever by the non professional eye.

Back