The Olympics

Be thankful you are not In Oz right now. This guy is going to become the national media hero. Won't be able to turn on the tv without hearing all about it :( They have shown the whole event multiple times already.

Sort of hard to get into the winter olympics when it's 35c outside.

Number 21!

Great to see Peter Forsberg on the ice yeasterday, did a good match and hopefully the swedish team has getting the hold more of their team-mates now..Great to see "Foppa" on the ice but i am still missing Markus Näslund and Micke Nylander!

I've actually really enjoyed the speed skating, and a lot of the skiing. Other than that, I find the majority of the winter Olympics to be very boring.

I really didn't expect Finland to play this well. Without exaggeration, I have to say that Finland was the best team in the first round of the tournament. This goes to show you shouldn't give too much credit in the 'star' value of teams... Then again, I think this is the first time ever that Selänne, Koivu and Lehtinen are together free of injuries, and finally referees are doing their job as they should (even the old bat Vladimir Sindler didn't miss much situations, he used to be totally lost in the previous years), so that actual hockey can be played.

A medal would be deserved, but anything can and probably will still happen in the playoffs.

WhiningKhan said:
A medal would be deserved, but anything can and probably will still happen in the playoffs.

Definitely.

Recall: 2002 Salt Lake City: Belarus upsets Sweden in quarter finals.
This year: Sweden (Women's) upset the American's in semifinals.

Let's also not forget. Team canada dominated the Round Robin games in the Nagano Olympics in 98, and placed fourth in the standings. Today, Switzerland tied Italy. WTF, they beat Canada and the Czech Republic yet they tie Italy. So really, the games that really count now will start tomorrow.

Congrats for the Canadian women hockey team. Showing the men how it's done. :)

Canada is really missing the talent of Lemay Doan for the speed skate.

What was Jacobellis thinking pulling a backside method at the last jump of the snowboard cross. Disgraceful, never mess with karma. :devilish:

Skrying said:
I've actually really enjoyed the speed skating, and a lot of the skiing. Other than that, I find the majority of the winter Olympics to be very boring.
heh ... I saw a compilation of figure skating accidents that was quite funny :p

drpepper said:
Let's also not forget. Team canada dominated the Round Robin games in the Nagano Olympics in 98, and placed fourth in the standings. Today, Switzerland tied Italy. WTF, they beat Canada and the Czech Republic yet they tie Italy. So really, the games that really count now will start tomorrow.

Well, quarterfinals didn't really bring surprises - USA and Canada are going home, but they deserved it, judging by their play in the first round. Let's just hope that this will not make NHL bosses even less interested in olympics.

WhiningKhan said:
Well, quarterfinals didn't really bring surprises - USA and Canada are going home, but they deserved it, judging by their play in the first round. Let's just hope that this will not make NHL bosses even less interested in olympics.

It should make them more interested as it's not always the same winners at every Olympics.

USA I don't think was expected much and neither was Canada. Guys like Bertuzzi, Iginla, Sakic and Pronger were having off years when selected. And yet Stall, Spezza and Crosby were having great years. The performance of the team reflects the performance of the individuals. Doan, Macabe, Nash and Smyth, they were invisible. I'm not surprised, and I'm glad they got ousted, it should tell Hockey Canada that Gretzky and Lowe don't always know what they're doing.

Brodeur was the only Canadian who played his heart out and the team let him down.

I know many might think Crosby is too young to play internationally, but Ovechkin scoring the winning goal should prove something to the Canadian brass.

I guess it's too late to hit the panic button as we're already eliminated. :cry:

Oh yeah, and it doesn't help tha Pat Quinn was the head coach. Heatly was on 3 or 4 different lines through the course of the game. No wonder chemistry was never developed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winter Olympic Events We'll Never See

11. Yellow Snow Eating Contest
10. Inebriated Giant Slalom
9. Quadathlon - Skiing, Shooting, Drinking, Driving
8. *************
7. *************
6. Synchronized Snowman Building
5. Polar Bear Outrunning
4. Ice Diving
3. *************
2. Men's Single Dagger Reindeer Slaughter
1. Snow Angeling

CosmoKramer said:
Sweden vs Finland on Sunday...

YEAH THAT'S RIGHT BABY!11!

Prepare yourself Guden Oden and the rest of our lovely neighbours, on sunday the biggest Finland vs Sweden ever!, man it's going to be a great game.

drpepper said:
USA I don't think was expected much and neither was Canada. Guys like Bertuzzi, Iginla, Sakic and Pronger were having off years when selected. And yet Stall, Spezza and Crosby were having great years. The performance of the team reflects the performance of the individuals. Doan, Macabe, Nash and Smyth, they were invisible. I'm not surprised, and I'm glad they got ousted, it should tell Hockey Canada that Gretzky and Lowe don't always know what they're doing.

Off years or not, both team USA and Canada had a seemingly overwhelming superiority in player skills compared to Finland, if you only look at NHL scoring stats of this season. It is not about individual players, it is about team play and strategy - that is what the american teams seem to have missed. Finland's stunning victory over Russia last night is another proof of this, Kovaltchuk, Ovetchkin and friends were frustrated to find that they cannot beat the opponent on their own unless the whole team figures out what to do. But man, that game had to be the best performance of any Finnish team ever - Russia had simply no chance. Sweden wouldn't have had, either, based on what they've been able to show thus far... But it's a new game tomorrow.

Regardless of what Canada's hockey team didn't do, Canada has had an excellent Olympics, running mostly on estrogen-power though, lol! :LOL:

Back