The Olympics

Oh ... the WINTER Olympics... got kinda scared there, i felt like i'd just woken up from a coma, in 2008... Not that i know how it feels to wake up after a 2 year coma...

the last 3 olympics have been yawn fests. I hear that they have a ton of unsold tickets same as in greece.

epic

Probably won't be able to see the opening ceremonies as I will be at work. But I'm excited for the hockey tournaments (both men and women) and the speed skating. I occasionally watch the curling games. Figure skating... blech... and I heard they haven't reformed the judging since the last Olympics.

Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators during the [2004] Summer Olympics that they would like to take back

1. Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."

2. Dressage commentator: "This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother."

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."

4. Boxing Analyst: "Sure there have been injuries,and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious."

5. Softball announcer: "If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again."

6. Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."

7. At the rowing medal ceremony: "Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew."

8. Soccer commentator: "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field."

9. Tennis commentator: "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them . . . Oh my God, what have I just said?"

nelg said:
Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators during the [2004] Summer Olympics that they would like to take back

9. Tennis commentator: "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them . . . Oh my God, what have I just said?"

LOl, that was my favourite!

Ah, today it starts with a full force. Hockey tournament is going to be interesting, to put it mildly, but I'm also waiting for nordic combined and curling.

SPOILER ALERT!

Final standing for men's hockey:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Czech

Miksu said:
Ah, today it starts with a full force. Hockey tournament is going to be interesting, to put it mildly, but I'm also waiting for nordic combined and curling.

SPOILER ALERT!

Final standing for men's hockey:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Czech

What? Russia has strong players, however how they play as a team is still yet to be seen. The Women's hockey team are doing alright. 16-0 for Canada against Italy. :D

Go Canada!

The hockey tournament is finally on the way. Who can stop canada? No one. :cry:

The Finns looked sharp in their first match. Slovakia beat Russia! Mama Mia. :oops:

US is a goal down vs Latvia. Game in progress. :smile:

nelg said:
Quick link on this:
http://www.snopes.com/humor/lists/olympics.asp

...has a whole lot more. No idea how many are real, but some are damned funny, too. One of my favorites:

"Bobby Gould thinks I'm trying to stab him in the back. In fact, I'm right behind him."
(Stuart Pearson)

Chalnoth said:
Quick link on this:
http://www.snopes.com/humor/lists/olympics.asp

...has a whole lot more. No idea how many are real, but some are damned funny, too. One of my favorites:

"Bobby Gould thinks I'm trying to stab him in the back. In fact, I'm right behind him."
(Stuart Pearson)

:LOL:
Another good one;
"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing — but none of them serious."
(Alan Minter - Boxer)

Interesting. The guy who won the gold in men's moguls is a Canadian born and raised, but immigrated to Austrailia because he didn't like Canada's training regimin. It was too busy for him to run his business on the side, which incidentally has made him the richest competitor at the Olympics this year at about $40 million. Now ordinarily, I would feel a sense of loss about this, however the nature of his business changes that for me. He's a spammer and malware creator, so the only sense of loss I feel is the fact that he didn't break his legs on that gold medal run. :cry:

nutball said:
Good lord, Great Britain got a medal in the Going Down Hill Fast on A Tea-tray :oops:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/winter_sports/4721282.stm

What is the world coming to?

Well, the Brits invented the Skeleton (I mean, just look at the name "Skeleton", whoever else would have thought to call a sport that way?), but in Switzerland, as a bunch of them were getting pretty bored while they were going to Swiss schools...

DudeMiester said:
Interesting. The guy who won the gold in men's moguls is a Canadian born and raised, but immigrated to Austrailia because he didn't like Canada's training regimin. It was too busy for him to run his business on the side, which incidentally has made him the richest competitor at the Olympics this year at about $40 million. Now ordinarily, I would feel a sense of loss about this, however the nature of his business changes that for me. He's a spammer and malware creator, so the only sense of loss I feel is the fact that he didn't break his legs on that gold medal run. :cry:
It's "our" only medal lol. Last time we won one in the ice skating sprints when everyone else wiped out leaving our guy too finish.

Credit where it's due though - he was in the final and just got lucky.

Back