The need for sustained high throughput loading of data in games? *spawn*

What does being far away actually mean in this case? Density of geometry is still absolutely insane. An yes the game does look good at 5 feet.

The question posed was what would you need to pull gigabytes of data for, I answered that if Cyberpunk lets you fly around and land anywhere and exit the vehicle at street level and begin interacting with the world as has been seen in the demos, that descent and landing would requite pulling a lot of data to populate the immediate world around you as you exit the vehicle. I've said this repeatedly:

And that allows you land an aircraft in a busy street full of distinct shops, vehicles and pedestrians?!?!? :oops:

Flighting over a city means all of the objects are far away and that you're never close enough to see the details. Can you land the aircraft in a street, get out of the aircraft and get up close the vehicles and pedestrians going about their business - the detail and density we've seen in Night City? Because if not, how is this relevant? :???:

I don't know how to express this differently. Flight Simulator 2020 looks fantastic. But it's not doing what Cyberpunk is doing, there isn't a rich, detailed interactive world on the ground. As Shifty said, FS2020 is using a lot of data in a lot of impressive ways but it is not creating a believable living city in which you can interact.

This is Cyberpunk at ground level.

The question posed was what would you need to pull gigabytes of data for, I answered that if Cyberpunk lets you fly around and land anywhere and exit the vehicle at street level and begin interacting with the world as has been seen in the demos, that descent and landing would requite pulling a lot of data to populate the immediate world around you as you exit the vehicle. I've said this repeatedly:

I don't know how to express this differently. Flight Simulator 2020 looks fantastic. But it's not doing what Cyberpunk is doing, there isn't a rich, detailed interactive world on the ground. As Shifty said, FS2020 is using a lot of data in a lot of impressive ways but it is not creating a believable living city in which you can interact.
What are those vehicles and predestrians except meshes and triangles? Density of geometry is simply not comparable.We are comparing rendering budget/load, not gamestyle.

What are those vehicles and predestrians except meshes and triangles? Density of geometry is simply not comparable.We are comparing rendering budget/load, not gamestyle.
You know they take up memory, right? That there are sounds, conversations, animation, pathing, AI routines - all of which consume memory?

And this is not about rendering budget at all, the question was:
What are you going to be streaming at 8GB/s on a constant basis?

Landing? How about flying over an entire city (with road traffic) of it accurately mapped with photogrammetry? And of course, nothing beats low altitude bush flying in FS 2020. If ever there was a game that screams PCMR, its FS 2020.

It’s still SC at the far top.

May be in Flight Simulator X.
Huh?

ooof 5 ft? this is about 5 ft.
Interesting that it's in open terrain. For all the city shots, we're far away. At 8:25 we can see a simply modelled farmstead. Around airports where players can land, I expect detail to be high, but how detailed do they get? Can you take the plane down between the skyscrapers of Manhattan and land on 50th Street? Or is altitude fixed over cities? I wonder if there's a anti-terrorist principle prevent players from crashing into buildings?

I'm of course happy to be proven wrong, but the most challenging part I've seen so far is when swinging the free-look camera around. But the details at the distance shown is so low because it's so far out that it's not streaming heavy. The most streaming-intense activity in the game would be a nose dive into a city and flying five feet above traffic. Are the cars looking like cars, or textured boxes?

GTA's flying isn't as pretty as FS2020's, but you can visit all the buildings in it, and get into any car you can see from a helicopter. The LOD management on that is impressive, and it's working on current gen hardware.

it's more comparable to this

That's a really good example. I expect that's the sort of detail in FS2020 meaning it's not doing anything special in the streaming part. From far out, you've lots and lots of simple textured boxes. As you get closer, detail can ramp up a fair bit, but the tranistion of geometry is still pretty simple requiring not a lot of caching data.

You know they take up memory, right? That there are sounds, conversations, animation, pathing, AI routines - all of which consume memory?

Don't you compare AI routines of Spiderman with that of any flight simulator. Seriously.
Anyway, texture and geometry will be the bulk of the memory footprint like for any game.

Interesting that it's in open terrain. For all the city shots, we're far away. At 8:25 we can see a simply modelled farmstead. Around airports where players can land, I expect detail to be high, but how detailed do they get? Can you take the plane down between the skyscrapers of Manhattan and land on 50th Street? Or is altitude fixed over cities? I wonder if there's a anti-terrorist principle prevent players from crashing into buildings?

I'm of course happy to be proven wrong, but the most challenging part I've seen so far is when swinging the free-look camera around. But the details at the distance shown is so low because it's so far out that it's not streaming heavy. The most streaming-intense activity in the game would be a nose dive into a city and flying five feet above traffic. Are the cars looking like cars, or textured boxes?
ehhh..
it's not star citizen lol.

I'm not sure who has the bigger task at hand, probably SC since you can go inside buildings.
There is only so much procedural generation one can do, they need more data to be able to model at 5ft and go into buildings if you want a replica of earth.

Don't you compare AI routines of Spiderman with that of any flight simulator. Seriously. Anyway, texture and geometry will be the bulk of the memory footprint like for any game.

What are you talking about, I haven't mentioned Spider-Man. You tossed in Flight Simulator as something seemingly worthy of comparison to Cyberpunk in a discussion about SSD and I/O. I mean, seriously, WTF. :???:

But also, when we're talking 'unique' data/assets, that dismisses the many possible combinations in which geometry, textures and shaders can be combined which has to be almost limitless.
Unreal 5 with a virtual geometry/texture base is getting closer to transcoding compared to painting polygons

What are you talking about, I haven't mentioned Spider-Man. You tossed in Flight Simulator as something seemingly worthy of comparison to Cyberpunk in a discussion about SSD and I/O. I mean, seriously, WTF. :???:

Sorry. Confused with the other poster. So... Don't you compare Cybepunk AI routines with that of any flight simulator (P3D, X-plane).

ehhh..
it's not star citizen lol.
I know. But that's why FS2020 isn't a flagship title for streaming. It's not having to do anything special. Spider-Man on top of a sky-scraper sees the same view as a plane flying, but also has to be able to update the LOD for a free-fall down to the street to look at some pedestrians. FS (or any other flight simulator) only neds concern itself with very low complexity assets at high density. People can be dots and you never need worry about streaming in their clothing and face textures. Cars are boxes and you don't have to worry about swapping out the city info from 2km away with the interior of a car within a few seconds. the data streaming for FS is pretty leisurely, unless it has been shown that you can fly super low in cities at very high fidelity.

At the moment, Ronaldo8 is making some claims that aren't being substantiated with good evidence that FS is showcasing something special, the only next-gen experience in his words, and that just doesn't hold true without showcasing where it's doing something unheard of before.

Sorry. Confused with the other poster. So... Don't you compare Cybepunk AI routines with that of any flight simulator (P3D, X-plane).

I don't know if you're deliberately trolling this thread or just having a bad day, but YOU introduced FS'20 into a discussion about dense city games and them being an example for the need for fast drive and I/O bandwidth. You started this nonsense. FS20 looks great but what is it doing that demands crazy high-bandwidth I/O?

I think you've blundered into a conversation, not understood what it is the conversation was about and now what to change the conversation to something else. :???:

Follow the quote links back to the original question :yes:

I don't know if you're deliberately trolling this thread or just having a bad day, but YOU introduced FS'20 into a discussion about dense city games and them being an example for the need for fast drive and I/O bandwidth. You started this nonsense. FS20 looks great but what is it doing that demands crazy high-bandwidth I/O?

I think you've blundered into a conversation, not understood what it is the conversation was about and now what to change the conversation to something else. :???:

Follow the quote links back to the original question :yes:

Nope. I am the one who pointed out that Cerny's 1s gameplay paradigm was not to be generalised and that hence high throughput will be not be constantly required. I introduce FS 2020 as an example of not requiring a high throughput despite still depicting a huge amount of assets on screen. Burst of I/O demand can be effectively preempted by pre-caching in DRAM with teleports (radical change of viewing frustrum) being the only situation where pre-caching will not work, provided the teleport is not predictable in the first place.
I did got triggered by a stupid characterisation of FS 2020 and it all went sideways from there. For that I apologise. (For a moment, I forgot that I was not on AVSIM).

Last edited:
I introduce FS 2020 as an example of not requiring a high throughput despite still depicting a huge amount of assets on screen.

And the point you continue to ignore is that flying over a city means most objects are far away meaning you do not need vast amounts of detail because everything on screen is small. The example which you also ignore would be a game like Cyberpunk, i.e. the sci-fi setting of being in a flying car then quickly zooming down to ground level, which would require require loading all that ground-level detail in really quickly. None of the FS20 pictures or videos show that game doing this so it's a baseless to hold it up as an example.

Back