The most impressive/realistic screensaver

Reverend

Banned
It doesn't even need to be 3D-accelerated, the priority being "realistic". Can you guys provide your favourites? Must work on WinXP. Thanks.

Some of the stuff that Maya Painteffects creates look quite realistic (flowers) but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

These aren't actually screenSAVERS. If anything, they're screen killers, since they continuously display mostly static images... Besides, they cost money too. :p

I like ATi's lava tunnel SS whatever it's called. There's probably a static logo in that one too, but it's not all that big. Besides, who wouldn't want an ATi logo semipermanently imprinted into one's LCD screen? :)

how long do you think it would take for a burn in on a LCD? Im sure most posters here leave there forum page open alot longer than there screensaver will ever be. Hence there browser is open ALL the time and would burn in the toolbars ect....

I don't care much about the screensaver, it's here within 5 minutes, but 5 minutes later the screen (CRT) goes stand by. I'm using the default one, else I still like the good old "starfield simulation" I already had under Windows 3.0

karlotta said:
how long do you think it would take for a burn in on a LCD?
Not all that long actually. My LCD's not quite a year, and it only needs about 10 mins to leave visible imprints from any unchanging graphics that'll stick around for minutes, hours or days depending on how long the gfx was displayed. My old desktop image (the 'mature mario' painting that appeared in the console forum a good while ago) had visible traces of it left on my screen for like half a week or more before they faded.

Guden Oden said:
Not all that long actually. My LCD's not quite a year, and it only needs about 10 mins to leave visible imprints from any unchanging graphics that'll stick around for minutes, hours or days depending on how long the gfx was displayed. My old desktop image (the 'mature mario' painting that appeared in the console forum a good while ago) had visible traces of it left on my screen for like half a week or more before they faded.
I'm no expert, but that sounds like a defective LCD.

so i should beable to see my browser shell outline, since its on for 5 to 12 hrs with out a screen saver or any change? I dont.

Guden Oden said:
No, it's actually common with LCDs. It was the same with my previous screen too from a couple years ago.

I thought the big hullaballoo about LCD's was that they don't suffer from long term burn in effects?

one of my favorite screensavers of all time is ati's bacteria, but right now i'm using flow, because it's multimonitor.

sometimes i use the powerVR screensaver, and take various graphic demos (even non-powerVR ones).

Guden Oden said:
No, it's actually common with LCDs. It was the same with my previous screen too from a couple years ago.
It's not that common, and it's a defect nonetheless.
My secondary monitor has it, but only sometimes, and it usually does not stay longer than a few minutes after displaying the same static screen for hours. I could have had it replaced – if I had noticed it at all in the first year and a half, when I used it as primary monitor. But it has several other defects now (buttons don't work, no menu, no manual input select) and needs a replacement soon anyway.

Kanyamagufa said:
I thought the big hullaballoo about LCD's was that they don't suffer from long term burn in effects?
Well, they don't. Even if you have one that shows this effect, it will fade away after some time.

Back