The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I would love to bring this in"

r600na3.jpg

So much for Level505's insurmountable problems in providing a pic that wouldn't get the source busted, eh? :cool:

Edit: The above is not meant to vouch for the authenticity of this picture, btw. . . just to note that I think that vaselined pic would be enough to tell someone who has seen a real R600 of that configuration if it was real or not, while obviously making any unique board identifiers useless.

This was already posted above but a better translation from vr-zone so here it goes again:

The latest rumor out there revealed that R600 is 80nm process technology and is entering mass production soon . R600's Z no-AA performance is 2.5x, FP16 blending & filtering performance is 2.7x, FP32 blending & filtering performance is 3.9x, FP16 filtering performance is 8x of R580. R600 final clocks could be at 814MHz and has 64 unified shaders. [This could mean 32 ROPs]. According to the rumor, it seems that low end RV610 will be on 65nm process, Digital PWM, 8 layers PCB, 256MB/128MB 64bit DDR2. For the mainstream RV630, it will be on 65nm process, bi-directional PWM for GPU and uni-directional PWM for memories, support 2x256MB 128bit GDDR4.

and ..

ATi has finally provided some updates to their eagerly awaiting partners regarding the schedule of their upcoming DX10 cards. R600 will be launched in CeBIT but cards availability in April and we heard that the official name could be Radeon X2900. As for low-end R610 and mid range R630, they will be launched in April but availability in May.
R610 & R630 in May would be a shocka :runaway:

April availability ? Ouch... Doesn't bode to well, unless R600 is so much faster than G80 that it can also afford to beat (or at least be competitive with) the G80 refresh.

I think that if I were a betting man, I'd be getting to the point of being willing to bet on the last week of March thru the first week of April. With Richard's statement still so fresh, I don't believe they'll slip into April for announcement, but I suppose it's not out of the question they could let availability slip a week or two (tho I have no particular reasons to think so on that point one way or the other). And no, we aren't under NDA, and no we don't have a date. That's from sniffing the air. It's beginning to smell like launch season.

What's your gut feeling on the R600? In particular, is it going to be faster than the G80 and G81?

I'm sensing that it will slightly edge out G80, but G81 will easily beat it while using less power.

im not expecting g81 to be much faster than g80, similar to the 9800 xt over the pro. i just dont see what they can do to improve performance much since people have already oced the card pretty heavily and the results are pretty much 2 or 3 fps faster.

im not expecting g81 to be much faster than g80, similar to the 9800 xt over the pro. i just dont see what they can do to improve performance much since people have already oced the card pretty heavily and the results are pretty much 2 or 3 fps faster.
That's only because the games in question aren't very GPU-limited at the settings in question. ATI will run into the same problem.

That's only because the games in question aren't very GPU-limited at the settings in question. ATI will run into the same problem.
So the question becomes "which will perform faster in the games that you would buy one of these cards for?" Stuff like UT3, Crysis, Hellgate London, or even Flight Simulator X.

im not sure i understand your point, theres def games that are gpu limited.

everquest 2
coh
oblivion
trackmania united
dark messiah
just cause

those are just the some of the games ive personally played recently where the g80 is the bottleneck rather than my cpu.

Maybe this is why the name will be x2900 and not x2800 ;)

Or it could be because they know a R600 refresh is still far away, and it would never be here in time for G81 (8900).
So, in order to keep some parity at least on the numbering scheme, they could have decided to stick with X2900 right from the start, reserving the X2950 moniker for that part instead.

If R600 isn't going to be here sooner than April as someone said a few posts back, then the refresh might not make it to the back-to-school season, and this time there's no "problem with third party libraries" that we know of.

im not sure i understand your point, theres def games that are gpu limited.

everquest 2
coh
oblivion
trackmania united
dark messiah
just cause

those are just the some of the games ive personally played recently where the g80 is the bottleneck rather than my cpu.
It doesn't just depend upon the game, but also the specific benchmark.

Regardless, if you overclock the core and memory by 10%, the GPU's performance will increase by 10%. But it will only reach that increase while it is GPU-limited.

There's also the possibility of a new driver release improving performance.

Or it could be because they know a R600 refresh is still far away, and it would never be here in time for G81 (8900).
So, in order to keep some parity at least on the numbering scheme, they could have decided to stick with X2900 right from the start, reserving the X2950 moniker for that part instead.

That makes perfect sense to me. That earlier OEM launch still sounds like those A12 cards being gobbled up first before the A15 cards are released into the channel. So perhaps a hard OEM launch with retail several weeks later? Since we are talking April gaian, IF R600 isn't better than G81...wow is all I can say.

April availability ? Ouch... Doesn't bode to well, unless R600 is so much faster than G80 that it can also afford to beat (or at least be competitive with) the G80 refresh.
The April estimate was given quite a long time back (CJ), I suppose its a deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back