The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not really. I'd rather see a sequel than remasters of games that are not even that old.
The Part 2 Remaster will be leveraging the technical engine work Naughty Dog (or whoever is doing this port) that Naughty Dog did for the Part 1 PS5 Remaster and the work to bring Part 2 to PC. The PS5 version is simply a cash-grab by-product of that work, which was happening anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, this pretty much confirms a PC version is coming.

Hopefully in a better state than Part 1 was at launch.
Hopefully. I get the feeling that they're probably scared shitless of releasing another junky port. Not only for the potential damage to their reputation and Sony's PC initiative.. but also having to deal with and correcting any issues in the aftermath.

I'd like to think that no PC announcement alongside the PS5 announcement is due to them wanting to give themselves as much time as they need to do it properly the first time and that they don't want to commit to any dates or even have the discussion yet about the PC version. That's my view on it.

As a fan and PC player, in my mind I wish they would have announced it.. and they damn well better do the second one after bringing the first one and essentially committing to PC releases in the future and evolving their company to facilitate that. If Sony pulls back on this entire initiative now, then they'll lose any and all respect from PC gamers and we'll remember that in the future.

The future of gaming is bigger than consoles... Sony knows it. They've got to reach other markets where their consoles have failed to.. so if they back out, they're leaving it wide open to their competition.

Hopefully. I get the feeling that they're probably scared shitless of releasing another junky port. Not only for the potential damage to their reputation and Sony's PC initiative.. but also having to deal with and correcting any issues in the aftermath.
Views like this baffle me because you're ascribing emotion to a corporation. Sony isn't "scared" of a janky port, at most there may be recognition on a spreadsheet of risks that a poor launch will equate to deferred sales.

That's how corporations work. As things are, Sony know PC players will dumbly buy their bad ports because they seemingly cannot wait for reviews. So really, what do they have to lose? Your respect? Sony don't care what you think as long as you as customer are still pushing money their way. If PC owners want companies to produce better ports, stop buying the shit ones. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:
Views like this baffle me because you're ascribing emotion to a corporation. Sony isn't "scared" of a janky port, at most there may be recognition on a spreadsheet of risks that a poor launch will equate to deferred sales.

That's how corporations work. As things are, Sony know PC players will dumbly buy their bad ports because they seemingly cannot wait for reviews. So really, what do they have to lose? Your respect? Sony don't care what you think as long as you as customer are still pushing money their way. If PC owners want companies to produce better ports, stop buying the shit ones. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This idea that corporations dont care about their reputation or product quality is bizarre. Playstation especially is built on brand reputation and they absolutely take it very seriously. There's a reason they put the kibosh on something like a Days Gone sequel, because the first one did not have the critical acclaim they are looking for in their major releases. They genuinely do have pretty high standards.

The fact that their PC releases haven't been perfect is hardly some indication they dont care, especially in light of how most AAA releases have issues nowadays. Again, there is clearly some factor in modern development that is hampering so many otherwise very skilled and regarded studios. This idea that if we just 'stopped buying' releases that have issues then suddenly all studios would magically start releasing flawless AAA games is very naive.

1) What's baffling is you taking those words literally.. like as if I think they're actually scared and trembling at the thought of the release..
2) I was referring to the Naughty Dog employees working on the port, not Sony or Playstation as a whole. Despite what you think they care or don't care about.. their reputation is on the line.. and another shit port will cement it
3) Nice attempt at trying to turn this into "PC gamers' fault" bullshit. I don't know if you've been paying attention.. but I wouldn't say TLOUP1 PC sales lit up the chart. People DID speak with their wallet and did not buy this shitty port. Unless you think that it did well enough? Do you?
4) Your whole "What do they have to lose? Your respect?" has such an tinge of contempt behind it.. I love it. Sony does not need PC.. we get it. We can't say Sony is scared, or nervous, or apprehensive or anything.. because Sony doesn't need us :rolleyes:

Well.. to that.. I say..

Screenshot 2023-11-22 172808.png

This idea that corporations dont care about their reputation or product quality is bizarre. Playstation especially is built on brand reputation and they absolutely take it very seriously.
I didn't say that, and I agree that Sony care about PlayStation, but it's quite clear the greater majority of PC game publishers are really not fussed about releasing poor ports of games on PC. That's a different prospect entirely.

The fact that their PC releases haven't been perfect is hardly some indication they dont care, especially in light of how most AAA releases have issues nowadays.
Where I see a clear line is that Sony have never released a first party game is such a bad technical state as they have done on PC. And I think there is a simple reason for this, and Sony was really up front about their PC initiate from day one, it was about bringing in a little extra money for creative works that were created for PlayStation. Because game sales on PC are far below PlayStation, they are likely working to much tighter budgets for these ports and that includes QA.

Like many project decisions in many industries, it's about cost/profit projections and budgets. If a particular product or service can be polished for an additional 10% cost increase but the projection shows that will bring in less than it costs then few companies will spend 10% to hit their release schedule. At the moment, the PC market is sending a clear message that it will tolerate bad ports and will continue to buy them day one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Except these 'bad ports' exist even for typical 3rd party multiplatform, Day 1 games as well nowadays, almost ubiquitously. I just fundamentally disagree that 'more care' would somehow make all these PC games suddenly run perfectly. We are seeing the kind of nearly-universal issues that should make it clear that the development environment on PC right now is simply not great and has fundamental problems that are tripping up even the supposed best and most prestigious studios. There's no reason to think Sony's ports would somehow have been immune to this.

And it should be remembered making a good PC port is always more difficult to begin with. And PC gamers do not have low standards, it is very much the exact opposite. It's impossible to think Playstation are thinking that console gamers are the ones with the high standards and PC gamers are the ones with low standards.

Except these 'bad ports' exist even for typical 3rd party multiplatform, Day 1 games as well nowadays, almost ubiquitously.
My understanding of the model used by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony, is that if titles are paid for and pass the TRCs of the platform, they can be sold. Only this can explain the plethora of shit shovelware that exists on these and other (Apple, Google) platforms.

I just fundamentally disagree that 'more care' would somehow make all these PC games suddenly run perfectly.
So do I and I never made this argument. Maybe you were responding to somebody else.

I was addressing the statement that Sony should be "scared" of releasing poorer post and pointing out that companies are incapable of being scared but that they have other metrics for measuring the risk of launching shoddy products. And again, as made @Dictator sad this year, it does feel like there is a widespread desire/motivation/ability within many publishers project cost structures for making PC games better at launch. I agree with @Dictator that this feels like the worst year for quite a while.

The difference between me and many other PC owners, is I'm not pre-ordering all these titles. When you signal your intent to give a company money before you've even released the product, what is the incentive for that company to make an effort to make it as good as it can be according to the budget? About zero.

The difference between me and many other PC owners, is I'm not pre-ordering all these titles.

Where are you getting the sales figures for Sony's PC ports? The current player count for their games on Steam doesn't exactly indicate every release is an automatic slam dunk in terms of sales.

When you signal your intent to give a company money before you've even released the product, what is the incentive for that company to make an effort to make it as good as it can be according to the budget? About zero.
This has always been an incredibly bizarre argument, and it's basically a continuation of the argument we're already having. This idea that devs/pubs just dont care(which yes, is what you're ultimately saying).

Pre-orders represent an overall minority of sales/revenue for a company. Post-release is always where the bulk of the sales and money comes from. So it makes ZERO sense to see good pre-order numbers and then think you can just sit back and relax and stop caring about the actual release and post-release sales and sentiment. No company is going to just leave money on the table by slacking off in the last however many months before release. It's an absolutely ridiculous idea. They have every motivation to still want to make the game as good as it can be by the final release deadline. Also, this ignores the very blatant realities of game development that we hear about endlessly in terms of how they crunch for many months leading up to release. They are absolutely doing all that they can to get the game into shape, and individual developers absolutely have pride in their work and are working incredibly hard, often to the detriment of their own personal lives.

Pre-ordering does not harm games. It's risky, but only for yourself.

This has always been an incredibly bizarre argument, and it's basically a continuation of the argument we're already having. This idea that devs/pubs just dont care(which yes, is what you're ultimately saying).
No, I'm not saying that. I literally just said this in my comment above, which I'll just re-insert here.

I just fundamentally disagree that 'more care' would somehow make all these PC games suddenly run perfectly.
So do I and I never made this argument. Maybe you were responding to somebody else.

I think the concept your are having diffuclty grasping is that Sony care a lot more about the quality of the software they release on PlayStation consoles than they do the software they release on PC. Not so some extreme but if the game is technically ropier, as a few PC releases have been, they'll release it anyway. It's a smaller market and the hit is less, and there the decision to delay and spend more time polishing things is diminished. Games aren't some passion for corporations, everything created is an investment with a calculated return.

And just in case you've been living under a rock, this is not some situation unique to Sony. A whole bunch of publishers have released a whole bunch of games on PC that have been technically a bit on the shit side. Hence sad @Dictator.

And just in case you've been living under a rock, this is not some situation unique to Sony. A whole bunch of publishers have released a whole bunch of games on PC that have been technically a bit on the shit side. Hence sad @Dictator.
That has literally been my whole point. Except where you think the problem is that they just 'dont care enough'(for whatever reason), I'm saying there are more fundamental issues, since they seem to be affecting just about everybody, regardless of the perceived quality of the studios in question.

Yes, I agree Sony almost certainly cares more about their console versions than PC ports, but I dont think this is specifically why any of the PC ports are releasing with issues, either. Pretty much every major studio is struggling with issues on PC versions of their games these days, even ones where the PC market for such games is quite big and there's no financial justification for deprioritizing it.

Sorry, I know this is in response to a very old post, but I missed your post initially obviously!

Back