The Last of Us, Part 1 Remaster Remaster [PS5, PC]

Nah, they've got a perfectly valid complaint. They have been massively, unfairly labeled as 'AMD fanboys', and to see that kind of accusation come from an actual professional is pretty shocking.

But of course y'all dont think it's a problem cuz y'all are exactly the ones who have been accusing them of this yourselves. It's been embarrassing to watch.

Maybe if HUB didn't block people on Twitter who disprove their claims with actual evidence they would get more respect.

The biggest thing is just that the lower texture settings actually look reasonable now, so with the improvements to VRAM usage you should be able to find some reasonable settings for any card on the market. They've done a nice job getting the game up to snuff fairly quickly.

You don't understand man, textures that look like crap obviously cost 4 to 6 to 8gb despite better ones running on a console that had 512MB

😂

Dunno... Texture seemed on par with other AAA releases such as Final Fantasy VII remake... 😈

Seems to be a really good update. I've only done some brief testing but the "full shader comp" took only 18 mins on my system, and load times feel snappier too although I don't have any specific metrics to compare that with.

On the performance though, CPU performance seems to have massively increased. In the opening section of the game, running through the town, it could easily drop into the low 40's for me previous and now it's mostly locked at 60 with the odd dip into the mid-50's on a couple of the set pieces. And that's with every setting at Ultra, I will try tweaking some of the CPU heavy settings to High to see if I can keep a constant 60fps lock. Extremely impressesd.

Seems to be a really good update. I've only done some brief testing but the "full shader comp" took only 18 mins on my system, and load times feel snappier too although I don't have any specific metrics to compare that with.

On the performance though, CPU performance seems to have massively increased. In the opening section of the game, running through the town, it could easily drop into the low 40's for me previous and now it's mostly locked at 60 with the odd dip into the mid-50's on a couple of the set pieces. And that's with every setting at Ultra, I will try tweaking some of the CPU heavy settings to High to see if I can keep a constant 60fps lock. Extremely impressesd.
Darn, I just finished it last night on my 5600x/DDR43600CL18/3080 10gb rig as I was getting tired of waiting for another patch.
To its credit, even with the last patch, it performed great, with every setting maxed out at 1080p on my 60hz plasma. I could only count a handful of times where it dropped below 60fps, the snowy section with the deer being one notable one.

I got excited when I finally fixed my long standing intermittent performance problem, which turned out to be my problem rather than the fault of the game. I have an almost 10-year-old 1TB SSD that I use to store games on, and I got 3/4 of the way through TLOU part 1 while having horrendous freezes - most commonly during cutscenes, but they'd happen during gameplay too.

For multiple seconds at a time (10-20) either the entire screen would freeze with audio playing in the background, with CPU and GPU load dropping to near zero. It'd happen every 30-45 minutes, and when it happened in cutscenes, the cutscene would continue to play audio, except nothing would animate. The characters would be frozen in whatever pose they were in, and new content wouldn't load in if there was a cut/transition between areas in the cutscene. Some pretty intense internet searches turned up precisely zero people experiencing the same thing.

After much swearing, turns out that my ancient SSD had some spots where a single 4k read would take upwards of 1500ms (yes, 1.5 seconds!) to complete. I'm actually incredibly impressed that even with a nearly dead disk essentially stopping background asset streaming cold that the game didn't crash once, and these 10+ second freezes happened dozens of times. Good on ya, Naughty Dog / Iron Galaxy!

I might migrate the game back to the SSD just to see if I can try to capture some videos of the madness, it was pretty hilarious watching a cutscene with frozen animations.

A custom SSD with a controller that exposed programmable caps on performance (both in sequential/random reads and in access time) would be a fun tool to have in any QA department's arsenal.

Last edited:
I'm downloading the PC update now, 25.67 GB update is pretty sizable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A patch for The Last of Us Part I is now live. This update primarily focuses on performance improvements, Steam Deck performance, various crashes, and more.

Alongside this patch, The Last of Us Part I is now Steam Deck Verified. You will find the latest patch notes for Steam Deck below.

Downloading this patch will trigger a full shader rebuild.
  • Optimizations to improve global CPU and GPU performance throughout the game
  • Overall improvements to texture and environment loading
  • Improved shader compilations times
  • Fixed a crash that could occur after changing custom controller settings
  • Fixed a crash that could occur in Photo Mode when saving images in 4K
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when playing on Ultra graphics preset with DLSS enabled
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when using a mouse with a high DPI
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when entering Options > Graphics
  • Fixed multiple crashes affecting players with Intel GPUs
  • Fixed an issue where players could lose the ability to aim or shoot immediately after exiting menus
  • Fixed an issue where the Flashlight tutorial would not leave the screen if ignored
  • Fixed an issue where exiting Photo Mode could cause the player to throw an equipped item
  • Fixed issues where players could see outside the game world in some locations
  • Addressed issues where screen tearing could still occur with V-Sync enabled
  • Fixed an audio issue that could occur when using a USB audio device alongside Spatial Audio Plug-Ins
  • Added support for players using third-party audio drivers
  • Fixed an issue where changing graphics presets (Options > Graphics > Graphics Presets) in-game would not save
  • Fixed an issue where the Speedrun timer could roll back after a crash or when quitting to desktop
  • Fixed an issue where scrollable menu descriptions could not be navigated with a mouse scroll wheel
  • Updated the QTE button UI to correctly display when using Xbox controllers
  • Corrected several in-game, menu, and text-to-speech translation errors
  • GPU Performance HUD more accurately displays usage when launched, CPU Performance HUD now more accurate
  • Corrected an issue where the Aiming Mirror settings did not affect motion sensor aiming
  • Fixed an issue where settings would not Reset to Defaults if players had any of the menu drop downs still open
  • Fixed an issue so that scrolling in Photo Mode does not affect the in-game camera
  • Fixed an issue where the game could reset a user’s Monitor setting when launching the game
  • Fixed an issue where the shader loading could be shown as complete before it actually was
  • Fixed an issue with Corsair and Logitech device LEDs turning off on start-up
  • Display settings are now saved per device and not shared through cloud saves
  • [The Suburbs] Fixed a crash that could occur in the sniper fight
  • [The Suburbs] Fixed an issue where Sam would appear wet during a cinematic in a dry area
  • Added a new Very Low graphics preset (Options > Graphics > Graphics Presets)
  • Added a new AI Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)
  • Added a new Dynamic Lights Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)
AMD
  • Fixed an issue where the game could crash while shaders were building on AMD hardware
  • Fixed an issue where FPS could be impacted while enabling the GPU Usage monitor (Options > HUD > GPU Usage)
Epic Games Store
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when quitting to the main menu
  • Fixed an issue where vibrations did not work for some players
Steam
  • Fixed a crash affecting players missing a Steam user folder
Steam Deck
  • Overall improvements to performance while playing on Steam Deck
  • Addressed a memory leak issue that could cause crashes
  • Fixed an issue where certain button prompts would be misaligned
  • Fixed an issue where changing (Options > Graphics > Graphics Preset) could trigger an intense lighting effect
  • Fixed an issue where in-game HUD did not match Steam Deck Performance Overlay FPS value
  • Fixed a crash that could occur during loading screens
  • Effects Density now defaults to Very Low instead of Low
  • [Lakeside Resort] Fixed a crash that could occur at the start of a cutscene
  • [Pittsburgh] Fixed a crash that could occur at certain checkpoints
  • [The Outskirts] Fixed an issue where locked FPS could make it difficult to move pushable objects

I tried a few areas and the improvements to performance are immediately noticeable. Instead of running a locked 60fps frame-cap on keeping a consistent frame-time experience prior to the patch, now, I can run a unlocked frame-cap at higher framerates (90fps-120fps) without dropping down into the 70s-60s with apparent judder. CPU utilization (i.e., threading) has definitely improved. It seems shader-compilation stutters have been reduced quite a bit, resulting in improved frame-times. That being said, shader-compilation stutters aren't completely gone, just masked slightly better behind higher framerates.

Last edited:
If this is accurate, these are some massive performance improvements.

Yes its a superb improvement. And just look how much the CPU utilisation has come down despite the higher performance. In that test the game now appears to be GPU limited.

I'm going to do more testing on this later but this bodes well for future Naughty Dog games. Lessons seem to be being learned and engine improvements made.

I can double confirm CPU improvements, but not GPU improvements in areas measured (more or less the same GPU-limited performance on an RTX 2070 Super). The largest shader compilation stutters I measured in my video covering Patch 1.0.5 are also not present so far in my testing of this latest 1.1.0 patch.
CPU improvement vs. last patch and launch:
alley_day0.00_00_07_33lf8f.png

alley_day0.00_02_12_1wuccj.png

I still have yet to thoroughly test it to see if the stutter drops on entering new areas have been greatly lessened or if ALL added shader comp stutters are gone.

What an improvement but for me it opens up a discussion around a few things.

1. The game didn't release all that long ago so why not wait until the game is where it's at currently before releasing? And avoid all the damage to the games reputation in the process.

2. Why has the game improved so much? Was it simply they ran out of time or have the developers finally read the DX12 SDK manuals and understand DX12 so much better?

Back