The future of stereoscopic gaming

Wouldn't that be optically wrong if the eye aren't aligned with the right position? Let's say the right-eye view is on the even degrees of angle. If the viewer shifts one degree either side, now their right eye would be seeing the left-eye view and vice versa. Depth would be completely inverted! You'd have to keep dead still, which would be worse than wearing any glasses! I think the only solution that doesn't require headwear is proper 3d image formation. That or direct eye-imaging (lasers etc.). There's no way two images can be mapped onto a single display and yet be cleanly separated spacially for two eyes without some mechanism.

The brain can actually compensate. Try viewing parallel or crosseyed stereograms the wrong way and see what happens.

Yes, but alternating fields across eyes back and forth? I'd have thought that'd be too messy to compensate.

Well I never said it was an ideal solution. Just an example I saw for multiperson glassesless 3D. Works if people keep still enough.

i cut/paste my GAF post

maybe the Bravia do all the stuff
you can tranform one 2D image in S3D with some complex algo. it's not true S3D but it work.
but the more probable and better method for game is to use "2D + depth map".
convert "2D + depth map" source in S3D is a method already use in S3D. auto-stereoscopic TV (multi-point of view, alioscopy) need "2D + depth map" source for work. philips already demonstrate alioscopic TV that make S3D with "2D + Depth map" signal. it work good (but with artefact on outline object, true S3D is better) and all game already have "2D + depth map", Z-buffer is the depth map.

HDMI 1.4 is more adapted for "2D + depth" signal but probably possible with 1.3 with a specific agreement between Bravia and PS3 on a proprietary protocol. you can transmit a depth map in place of a color image and you can also probably use the "deep color" mode of 1.3 for transmit "2D + depth map" in one image and doing 1080p 60fps stereoscopy with just 1.3
then all PS3 game in S3D is probably possible with a specific TV but i think need to patch all game (i don't know if the OS can know the Z-buffer memory location of all game)

Perhaps the operative term is that it'll work with all *future* PS3 games. 3D could become a TRC. I really like the 2D + depth idea. What is interesting is that in the beginning of the video you can see the strobing between the two images when the camera is pointed through the glasses.

The more you think about it, the more it MUST be the TV doing the processing. While a game like WipEout could conceivably be cut down to 30fps, with the console generating images for each eye, the vast majority of games are 30fps any way and I doubt an effective 15FPS would be worthwhile.

You guys waiting for the 3D-TVs not requiring glasses may give up your hopes to get on for many years.

This morning I read an article about Alioscope who currently manufactures these screens, their current market is CAD design and Medical systems. Philips who had working prototypes stopped their development project in March this years. So no one of the big actors is currently working on this for the consumer market.

Apparantly the lens-based screen technology requires 8 parallel photos for each frame to give a reasonable wide view angle and right there we have a major bottleneck if we want to watch HD movies. Come 8 layer BDs and HDMI 2.0 this may take off again.

The screen is very good according to the article, some workmate of mine watched it at CeBit earlier this year, they were also blown away. It´s very cool that you actually will see different views of the objects depending on your position in front of the screen.

Guess we will go through a complete generation of 3D screens using glasses before we get there. Anyway the people using the new glasses have been very enthusiastic as well, so the wait for lensbased screens may not be worth it if you really want the kick from 3D.

You guys waiting for the 3D-TVs not requiring glasses may give up your hopes to get on for many years.

This morning I read an article about Alioscope who currently manufactures these screens, their current market is CAD design and Medical systems. Philips who had working prototypes stopped their development project in March this years. So no one of the big actors is currently working on this for the consumer market.

Apparantly the lens-based screen technology requires 8 parallel photos for each frame to give a reasonable wide view angle and right there we have a major bottleneck if we want to watch HD movies. Come 8 layer BDs and HDMI 2.0 this may take off again.

The screen is very good according to the article, some workmate of mine watched it at CeBit earlier this year, they were also blown away. It´s very cool that you actually will see different views of the objects depending on your position in front of the screen.

Guess we will go through a complete generation of 3D screens using glasses before we get there. Anyway the people using the new glasses have been very enthusiastic as well, so the wait for lensbased screens may not be worth it if you really want the kick from 3D.

I am certain this is exactly the technology that Sonic is referring to in the following thread -

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=54962&page=7

visually it should be an experience the home won't be getting for a while

We'll see it in the arcades first, then a decade or two later the home shall catch up.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49303559-1,00.htm

Seems to confirm the idea of the TV doing the 3d processing using standard ps3 hardware.

Indeed, pretty cool! So like Quaz51 suggested it seems, if it only works with PS3 games, but it explicitly states it works with the standard PS3 and all the processing is done on the TV side. So maybe it's using a sort of software processing trick after all, and not even the z-depth information from the game.

Indeed, pretty cool! So like Quaz51 suggested it seems, if it only works with PS3 games, but it explicitly states it works with the standard PS3 and all the processing is done on the TV side. So maybe it's using a sort of software processing trick after all, and not even the z-depth information from the game.

I think there are some stuff lost in translation there.

Extracting 3d information from a 2d image would be a trickery worth a separate Las Vegas Show.

There is no bottleneck, it also cuts the resolution by 8x ... and that right there is the biggest problem.

All the existing systems use passive lenses/barriers ... you need an active system to avoid destroying the resolution of the display. Once you have an active system you can simply track the viewers and beam the correct stereoscopic image to the right eyes, so you only need left/right eye views again. (You can also generate views for each viewer, but that's obviously going to be more work.) I know of no practical active system at the moment though.

4 years later and things have changed slightly.

James Cameron -Avatar's director- have said a couple of years ago that games are going to drive the future of 3D adoption. He might have a point there, taking into account the video game industry is now larger than the movie industry.

Like him I see videogames as the best path to bringing 3D into people's home.

Additionally, the movie industry is moving to 3D, and most of the movies released nowadays are 3D, although without a clear path to people's living room except if people begin to buy 3D TVs but they are still somewhat expensive nowadays.

In regards to videogames the industry has a clear path to your home via a handheld like the 3DS, your typical console and of course PC-based gaming.

Additionally, this pathway is obviously useful for 3D gaming, but the consoles can just as well be used for other types of content such as movies!

Right now quite a few games can be played in stereoscopic 3D, and the gameplay is highly dependent upon the way a particular game was designed, the hardware capabilities and the 3D equipment you are using -active, passive....-. But huge steps have been taking to make 3D a perfectly integral part of the options, and native 3D games usually offer excellent options -at least the few I tried-.

I am going to enjoy many, many hours of playing games in 3D from now on! I know that the Although the quality of the 3D experience changes somewhat from game to game, as proven by the reviews, the reality is that the experience is really truly immersive & trying 3D makes it very difficult to going back to play games the old fashioned 2D way.

With VR around the corner and 3D TVs becoming more and more a standard it is a very exciting time for games and gamers.

Back