The embargo isn't working...

That is the funniest thing I have heard in quite some time. The US attack Sweden? Please. CosmoKramer, if you honestly believe that "poll" then you are even farther removed from reality than I had previously thought. The US attack Sweden. :LOL: That's a good one.

:oops:

:LOL:

CosmoKramer, where did you find that? Was there a context?

BTW, we have a "shock" smiley... shouldn't we add an "awe" icon too?

MrsSkywalker said:
That is the funniest thing I have heard in quite some time. The US attack Sweden? Please. CosmoKramer, if you honestly believe that "poll" then you are even farther removed from reality than I had previously thought. The US attack Sweden. :LOL: That's a good one.

The entire point was to show how incredibly stupid beyond belief large parts of the american public are... *hint* ;)

Context: Michael Moore's "The Awful Truth".

CosmoKramer said:
The entire point was to show how incredibly stupid beyond belief large parts of the american public are... *hint* ;)

Easy there, have you seen polls which show how enlightened the average European public are? They don't paint us in an entirely fantastic light.

nutball said:
CosmoKramer said:

Easy there, have you seen polls which show how enlightened the average European public are? They don't paint us in an entirely fantastic light.

Sure, but I think it is fair to demand of all citizens in a republic to know which country they support the bombing of. Not trivia.

It's a well known "fact" that 1 in 10 will agree to anything when asked in a poll, the remaining 12% were just clueless or confused, and didn't want to appear ignorant. :)

MrsSkywalker said:
Michael Moore. :rolleyes:
Michael Moore what? Was it he who made the poll or something? I see there is a http://www.michaelmoore.com/ , I'll have to see if I can find out what that cryptic post of yours meant...

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice that Michael Moore was already mentioned in the thread... so I gather you're no fan of him? :)

nutball said:

There is a significant difference in awareness of the world out there in Europe than it is in the US. At least, most people around the world do not have any problems locating their own country on the map, unlike 11% of the US citizens.

Humus said:
There is a significant difference in awareness of the world out there in Europe than it is in the US. At least, most people around the world do not have any problems locating their own country on the map, unlike 11% of the US citizens.

The poll is funny to the extent that it shocks you when you first hear about it. Jay Leno has been doing a skit like this for years on the Tonight show. It's also pretty funny to read about the "art" of polling. It's amazing to see some of the answers you can get depending on what question you ask and how you phrase it.

CosmoKramer, I wasn't shooting the messenger, I was merely pointing out that he is always full of crap. He's an extremist wacko. If you use him as a point of reference for all of the US, then I can see why your views towards us are so tainted.

Hey, the gene pool in the US has more "Europe" in it than anything else. Hmmm....

You have to realize that when any poll is taken, it's most often taken in an area where the pollsters will receive the results they desire. And the "polls of the average citizen" are most often taken in a city. It may not seem it to the outside world, but the majority of the US is rural. Take my region, New England (a group of six states in the northeastern most part of the country for those outside the US). In all of New England there is one major city, Boston, with a city population of slightly over 1 million. I have never once in my whole life been polled on anything more than "who do you want to be governor of your state?". These polls DO NOT accurately give the feel of the country. Not even the gallop polls which show things like approval of a president...these are also taken in cities. So I partially agree. If you go into a poorly funded inner city school and ask the kids "Which country on this blank map is the US?" I agree that 11% wouldn't be able to answer that. Come out and do a poll in my "hick" neck of the woods, and I guarantee 100% would. It bugs the crap out of me that these "accurate polls" are revered as truth by those in foreign nations. They are not the truth...they show what a very small percentage of the population thinks, and that's it.

Wackos like Michael Moore take these snipits of misinformation, hail them as God's honest, and put them out there to make everyone else in the country look bad. I pity the saps out there who can't think for themselves and just take the info as gold. Poor misguided sheep.

Deflection said:
The poll is funny to the extent that it shocks you when you first hear about it. Jay Leno has been doing a skit like this for years on the Tonight show. It's also pretty funny to read about the "art" of polling. It's amazing to see some of the answers you can get depending on what question you ask and how you phrase it.

Yeah, I love tonight show with Jay Leno, especially the "Jay walk all-stars", it can be pretty hillarious. :)

MrsSkywalker said:
Hey, the gene pool in the US has more "Europe" in it than anything else. Hmmm....

You have to realize that when any poll is taken, it's most often taken in an area where the pollsters will receive the results they desire. And the "polls of the average citizen" are most often taken in a city. It may not seem it to the outside world, but the majority of the US is rural. Take my region, New England (a group of six states in the northeastern most part of the country for those outside the US). In all of New England there is one major city, Boston, with a city population of slightly over 1 million. I have never once in my whole life been polled on anything more than "who do you want to be governor of your state?". These polls DO NOT accurately give the feel of the country. Not even the gallop polls which show things like approval of a president...these are also taken in cities. So I partially agree. If you go into a poorly funded inner city school and ask the kids "Which country on this blank map is the US?" I agree that 11% wouldn't be able to answer that. Come out and do a poll in my "hick" neck of the woods, and I guarantee 100% would. It bugs the crap out of me that these "accurate polls" are revered as truth by those in foreign nations. They are not the truth...they show what a very small percentage of the population thinks, and that's it.

Wackos like Michael Moore take these snipits of misinformation, hail them as God's honest, and put them out there to make everyone else in the country look bad. I pity the saps out there who can't think for themselves and just take the info as gold. Poor misguided sheep.

The gene pool is irrelevant, but educational system and the culture is what makes the difference. Sure, there's no doubt in my mind that small-city people would have better results than multi-million city people. Sure, many polls can be made in an unscientific way, but far from all are. The poll showing that 11% of american could located the US on the map showed very different results in other countries, and unless they intentionally skewed it only for the US the results should be equally skewed for other countries.
As for my personal experience, when talking to people in the US, far from everyone have a clue where in the world for instance Sweden is. And then the usual Sweden = Switzerland of course. During my 5 days in the US I heard that one at least a couple of times, during my 8 weeks in Canada I've only heard it once, but she quickly realized her mistake before I could correct her. Pretty much everyone in Canada knows where Sweden is, heck pretty much every other guy I talk to have actually been there too.

Back