The Apple Execution Dazzle Thread

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by rpg.314, Oct 19, 2010.

1. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

Considering that Apple doesn't seem to have trouble attracting some of the best people to work for them, I don't think they actually need to pay their employees more.

2. ninelven

Veteran

It isn't about need, and I wasn't talking about people making 100k+ a year already. But I digress.

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That was implied by the "lower margins." :) Being in the memory, flash memory, and LCD TV markets, Samsung is no stranger to having to resort to low margins in order to compete, unlike Apple.

Regards,
    SB

4. Sxotty

Veteran

The people they could pay more don't work for them. They are sub contracted and so forth.

5. ninelven

Veteran

I know; it is just too damn difficult and complicated to give money to people. I mean engineering and coding are hard but nothing really compares...

6. pcchen

pcchen Moderator

That's really not in Apple's control though. It's impossible for Apple to build their own assembly plants while maintaining similar margin. Maybe in the future, but right now their sales do not warranty that decision yet (Foxconn, for example, manufacture a lot more than just for Apple). They do have second source, such as Pegatron, so in a sense they do have some leverage over those contractors' conduct, but probably not very much.

Also, even if you managed to "clean up" assembly plants, there are still countless other factories that have similar problems. Focusing on only one point is, IMHO, just a crusade.

And ironically money is the least of the problems. Foxconn, to my understanding, already pays much more than average in China, and that's why Foxconn is moving into inner provinces and even to Brazil (also they have a plan to manufacture robots in order to reduce their workforce). So it's really not a problem of money, but a problem of safety practices (compared to western nations). No one is forcing them to work for Foxconn. So if you have an axe to grind, go after the Chinese government. That'd be much more effective.

7. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

They could give more margin to their resellers perhaps? Ever since the very early days, margins with Apple barely matched overhead. The reseller I worked for (on the PC side) only really made money from Apple on the repair side where the markup on replacement parts was insanely high.

8. ninelven

Veteran

What axe? I just wish we lived in a world with more people like George Westinghouse is all. As for targeting the Chinese government... good luck with that.

I know; one offhand comment seven words long, and suddenly I'm on a crusade. You clearly have more invested in this topic than I do, so I will leave you to it.

9. pcchen

pcchen Moderator

Did I say "you" are on a crusade? (unless you admit that you just focus on one point) I simply tried to point out what I think is wrong (basically focusing on Apple while ignoring the fact that Apple alone can't do much).

10. pcchen

pcchen Moderator

I don't know enough about retailers to say anything deeper than that, but IIRC PC retailers' margin are generally very low. I'm pretty sure here in Taiwan selling Apple stuff are more profitable than selling general PC stuff, though probably not by much.

11. ninelven

Veteran

Nothing like getting semantically trolled by a moderator. /sad

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That's generally true with most retailers. If they can manage to maintain 10-15% margins on non-consumables they are pretty happy.

It's those consumables where they attempt to make up for the low margins of non-consumables. Toner cartridges, ink cartridges, printer paper, etc. It's why they love practically giving away inkjet printers. Or in Apple retailer's case the ridiculously high cost of replacement parts and/or service.

Regards,
    SB

13. RudeCurve

Banned

When you can't compete with products file patent infringement lawsuits.

14. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

And sometimes the other guy decides to hit back and you get your face slammed yourself. Pity.
    Or did you not talk about Apple in the first place?

15. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

Motorola already starting to pay for itself?

that was always going to be apples problem if they got sue happy, there are still the new guy relative to Motorola/Nokia/seamens/Samsung/etc

16. idsn6

Regular

17. Sxotty

Veteran

Well at least lawyer is still a growth industry.

18. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

19. Sxotty

Veteran

More court wins for apple. Though Samsung owned them in the zinger category :)