The Apple Execution Dazzle Thread

I'm guessing his liver is acting up again...

Isn't it already another persons liver? Anyway nothing much will actually change since he already had cook running stuff. Of course that doesn't mean the the outcome in the market won't change. But the products will be of similar quality.

Tim Cook has only been running things for a few months, I think—not enough to have significant influence on any product.

He might be behind the Samsung lawsuits, though.

Tim Cook has only been running things for a few months, I think—not enough to have significant influence on any product.

He might be behind the Samsung lawsuits, though.

Which off Apple just lost every single one related to Galaxy phones in Netherlands (which would affect most of EU shipments) - except how the gallery works, that they actually won and Samsung has to change it

Isn't it already another persons liver? Anyway nothing much will actually change since he already had cook running stuff. Of course that doesn't mean the the outcome in the market won't change. But the products will be of similar quality.

Yes, but it was due to a genetic condition he has, so the new one might be in the process of being destroyed...

Didn't they manage to get an injunction against imports of Galaxy S2s?

That was mistakenly reported about all Galaxy -phones as far as I know, while real deal is that Samsung got x days/week(s?) to fix the way their Gallery works and they can continue normally.

Yes, but it was due to a genetic condition he has, so the new one might be in the process of being destroyed...

Why did they give him a perfectly good liver if it is just getting destroyed? I thought the transplant lists were weighted to give them to people where they would actually be beneficial and last. In other words they skip people often when they think the individual will not live long, or the organ will fail. I don't know what his condition was though, I just thought he needed a new one and due to his ability to jet around the country could get somewhere where one matched quickly.

Why did they give him a perfectly good liver if it is just getting destroyed? I thought the transplant lists were weighted to give them to people where they would actually be beneficial and last. In other words they skip people often when they think the individual will not live long, or the organ will fail. I don't know what his condition was though, I just thought he needed a new one and due to his ability to jet around the country could get somewhere where one matched quickly.

Different transplant centers have different rules, apparently. He got his liver in Tennessee where it's easier to get one than in California.

http://www.slate.com/id/2281668/

Sxotty said:
The average survival time for a liver transplant is 5 years no matter what.
But it seems that his pancreatic cancer is playing up again, not his liver.

This is Jobs now, reportedly taken after he announced his resignation
Jobs.jpg

Apple missed analyst forecasts and is down more than 6% after hours right now. Been a long time since that's happened - bad timing with Steve's death. It seems it's mostly the iPhone that missed - down from ~20M to ~17M and well below analyst expectations. I suppose the delay for the iPhone 4S meant a lot of people decided to wait - and the iPhone 4S sales seem really good, so it fits.

Also, EETimes currently has a typo or freudian slip (I assume it's not intentional) in their article:
http://eetimes.com/electronics-news/4229846/Apple-s-quarterly-sales-come-up-short- said:
Apple (Cupertino, Calif.) reported sales for its fiscal fourth quarter of $28.27 billion, down about 1 person from the second quarter
:( RIP, Steve.

If they are still growing fast (and it looks like they do) it's OK (or even better) to not give dividends, as it'd be better to invest in the company instead of giving out to investors.

However, it's also been argued that since Apple already has a lot of cash (which obviously are not invested in anything useful) they should start paying dividends. But on the other hand they don't really have proportionally much more cash than say Intel, so maybe it's still OK (although, of course, Intel does pay dividends, and quite generously).

It makes me wonder how well Samsung are doing. There are reports that they've sold ~36.5 million smartphones compared to Apple's ~37.1 million smartphones. So looks like the battle is on between Samsung and Apple as to who will make the most smartphones.

And just looked it up and while quarterly revenue is close to Apple, its profits are far lower due to lower margins, and high R&D.

Regards,
SB

If they are still growing fast (and it looks like they do) it's OK (or even better) to not give dividends, as it'd be better to invest in the company instead of giving out to investors.

However, it's also been argued that since Apple already has a lot of cash (which obviously are not invested in anything useful) they should start paying dividends. But on the other hand they don't really have proportionally much more cash than say Intel, so maybe it's still OK (although, of course, Intel does pay dividends, and quite generously).

Most of the cash is tied-up internationally, so I think some tax rules apply.

It makes me wonder how well Samsung are doing. There are reports that they've sold ~36.5 million smartphones compared to Apple's ~37.1 million smartphones. So looks like the battle is on between Samsung and Apple as to who will make the most smartphones.

And just looked it up and while quarterly revenue is close to Apple, its profits are far lower due to lower margins, and high R&D.

Regards,
SB

The average selling price of Samsung phones are no where near the average selling price of iPhones.

Or... they could pay their employees more. /crazy I know...

Back