The Apple Execution Dazzle Thread

I think they are beat on that one, ITV is a major broadcaster in the UK and has been for decades. Given that UK is an important market for Apple, they probably don't see it feasible to have a different name for one country.

I dunno, Apple might be able to get away with the iTV, as long as they make damn certain it's not affiliated with ITV.

I do think it's feasible to have a different name for the UK. Just call it Apple TV there. Sure, people will refer to it as the iTV, but officially, there will be no problem.

I already knew about ITV, BTW, but had forgotten what country they're in. Thanks.

you mean mp3 players or the price of smart phones ?

Its not really the smart phone thats the problem but the price of the monthly plan. You can easily add 3 times times the cost of the phone over a two year contract. I know my monthly plan went up $40 when i first got a data plan basicly $960 extra over 2 years.

I love my zune hd and i use it because i simply can't fit 32 gigs music and video on my phone right now. Moving foward i wont see much of a need for a dedicated player anymore except when battery becomes important.

Damn that's a lot.
My "plan" or whatever it should be called includes
- Unlimited internet/data usage (meaning both data amounts and speed are unlimited)
- 3000 minutes of free calling per month within same network (Elisa, meaning free to Elisa, Saunalahti and Kolumbus IIRC)
- 100 minutes of free calling per month to other networks in Finland (we have 3 different networks here total)
- HTC Desire phone

And costs me 19,94€ per month for 2 years, which after I've paid the phone leaving me 4,94€ per month for the rest until I decide to switch the phone and/or plan

Damn that's a lot.
- Unlimited internet/data usage (meaning both data amounts and speed are unlimited)
- 3000 minutes of free calling per month within same network (Elisa, meaning free to Elisa, Saunalahti and Kolumbus IIRC)
- 100 minutes of free calling per month to other networks in Finland (we have 3 different networks here total)
- HTC Desire phone

And costs me 19,94€ per month for 2 years, which after I've paid the phone leaving me 4,94€ per month for the rest until I decide to switch the phone and/or plan

That was a pretty sick deal and came little after I got my N900 with Total Max... I have to pay 54,95e per month for it. I like the phone, but was pissed to hear about the Desire deal...The phone is at repair atm also.

You are making assumptions that have been proven wrong. There apparently were a significant number of people who wanted or were at least interested in a tablet like device. I know people who were things about effectively what the iPAD is for a long time and leveraging other devices to fulfill the space sub optimally.
There were all sorts of tablet devices out there before the iPad. They just didn't have the Apple brand.

Look at the EEE T91, which was released 9 months earlier. Only half a pound heavier, yet its a fully functional PC with a keyboard. If you want to dick around on the web, you can do that, but when you want to write a real email or do some office work, you can do that too. Yeah, the keyboard is small, but it's so much better typing on a touch screen.

Only Apple can take an existing product, make its flaws even worse (speed/productivity limitations of Atom, cramped keyboard), yet get glowing reviews because it's "a different market".

I will give Apple full credit for revolutionary products like the iPhone and iPod (the latter decimating the competition in UI and software), but the iPad is just dumb at $500.

Damn that's a lot.
- HTC Desire phone

Holy crap. Wireless is dirt cheap up there, isn't it.

Holy crap. Wireless is dirt cheap up there, isn't it.

Well, the deal was better than usual :D
ATM the same service provider looks to be asking 4,90€ per month for 384kbit/sec, 9,90€/m for 1Mbit/s and 13,90€/m for unlimited speed. Data amounts are unlimited in all cases.

The new Mac lineup is kinda meh.

HD3000 shouldn't be in a premium device.

You're referring to the Mac Air's? Its an ultraportable, what more do you expect? Show me any other ultraportable laptop which has discrete graphics.

I thought Thunderbolt would be sort of useless at first but Apple looks like its making good use of it (looking at the Apple Thunderbolt display)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're referring to the Mac Air's? Its an ultraportable, what more do you expect? Show me any other ultraportable laptop which has discrete graphics.

I thought Thunderbolt would be sort of useless at first but Apple looks like its making good use of it (looking at the Apple Thunderbolt display)

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...oslp/psg/notebooks/Ultra-Portable/dm4x_series

I mean it weighs more but has a 14inch screen and you can put in a 1 gig hd 6470 for $75 bringing the total cost to less than $800. So its much cheaper than even the 11inch mac air .

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...odexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/ENVY/ENVY14_series

1.14 inches thick , 14inch screen , 2.3ghz i5 2410 + 1 gig hd 6630 all for $1k .

The mac air is a really bad value unless you really need something that weighs under 3 lbs.

there are other pc laptops coming out from companys like asus that are just as skinny and light as the air and have better hardware.

As I keep repeating all over the place, the price you pay for something is much more than a sum of it's hardware components plus margin.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...oslp/psg/notebooks/Ultra-Portable/dm4x_series

I mean it weighs more but has a 14inch screen and you can put in a 1 gig hd 6470 for $75 bringing the total cost to less than $800. So its much cheaper than even the 11inch mac air

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...odexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/ENVY/ENVY14_series

1.14 inches thick , 14inch screen , 2.3ghz i5 2410 + 1 gig hd 6630 all for $1k .

The mac air is a really bad value unless you really need something that weighs under 3 lbs.

there are other pc laptops coming out from companys like asus that are just as skinny and light as the air and have better hardware.

You really didnt read my post did you? The Mac Air 11" weighs 2.38 pounds and the 13" weighs 2.96 pounds compared to 4.5 pounds for the dm4 and 5.5 pounds for the envy you linked to.

So i'll repeat, show me any other ultraportable with a discrete GPU.

Even the Asus is a full cm thicker, has a smaller battery and isn't even running Sandy Bridge so forget about battery life.

The HPs aren't even close to ultraportables at double the thickness and nearly 3x the weight.

Besides, who buys a 13.3" or 11" notebook for gaming? Clearly these are for business travelers. Hell I have a MBP with a 9400/9600 solution and I have used the 9600 all of twice.

Mize said:
Besides, who buys a 13.3" or 11" notebook for gaming? Clearly these are for business travelers.
They're for everyone who doesn't like to carry a heavy laptop yet enjoys a magnificent trackpad.

I see tons of people at work use their personally bought Air instead of the company sponsored HP. $1000 is really not a big deal if you enjoy using the thing day in day out for work and personal stuff. But even that's the wrong number: a delta of just $300 makes it even less relevant.

I stopped by an Apple store last week and played with the new MBAs and they're quite a bit zippier than my C2D 2.58 GHz MPB...

You really didnt read my post did you? The Mac Air 11" weighs 2.38 pounds and the 13" weighs 2.96 pounds compared to 4.5 pounds for the dm4 and 5.5 pounds for the envy you linked to.

So i'll repeat, show me any other ultraportable with a discrete GPU.

I just showed you. I'm not sure why 1.5lbs suddenly stops something from being ultra portable.

I weight 270lbs and i'm 6'4 , i don't even notice 1.5lbs extra weight on my shoulder.

As I said , the laptops are a little heavier but about the same thickness while having bigger screens.

The envy is 14.5inchs with a 1.16" thick and 5.53lb frame. The air is a 13 inch screen .

The envy is also only $1,000 while the air starts at 1,300

Its funny because they are all ultra portable and yet apple has brain washed some that extra money + lesser hardware specs is okay because its a bit lighter .

I just showed you. I'm not sure why 1.5lbs suddenly stops something from being ultra portable.

I weight 270lbs and i'm 6'4 , i don't even notice 1.5lbs extra weight on my shoulder.

LOL. 1.5 lbs = 67% more. It's more like you weighing 450 lbs. instead of 270. At 270 you're hefty, but at 450 lbs. you're a serious lard ass.

As I said , the laptops are a little heavier but about the same thickness while having bigger screens.

The envy is 14.5inchs with a 1.16" thick and 5.53lb frame.

Again, 1.16" != 0.68" in fact, it's 70.5% thicker!
By you're logic you should be fine with another 70.5% so just go with a 2" thick job, okay?

It's okay that you don't like Apple.
It's okay that I don't buy HP computers because of the failure rate at my company (we're all Asus/Apple now). It's okay that you don't like OSX.

But claiming that something weighing almost 70% more that's over 70% thicker is the same is just, well, stupid. You're better off linking to the latest ultraportables from Samsung and Lenovo. They're much closer to the Mac Book Air - in dimensions and in price.

Now this guy: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP900X3A-A03US-features

Series9_6x4.jpg

is more like a MacBook Air. Very nice.

Back