The Annual E3 discussion thread, 2014 edition

Just a comment. I wish they would ban CGI. Period. If you dont have a game to show using the actual assets from your game... you cant "show" it.

But you cant do sort of a story or theme or "idea" trailer with gameplay...

Personally I could do without that crap anyway. But some marketing people never can...

One the best most emotional trailers I have ever witnessed. This team is talented.

I'm really looking forward to The Division, it has looked to be a decent concept since last E3 to me. I'm fine with waiting if they actually deliver on the potential of the title. The segment today felt canned but I do think online coop is the next big thing and this title along with several others seems to be getting that right.

From what I've read this morning it seems that Sony had more interesting announcements?

These were some dull-ass press conferences alright. Lots of pretty movie clips mostly, with the big boys playing it safer than ever. Just about the only time I felt somewhat excited was during the "no man's sky" presentation. That game looks seriously fresh.

It looks like Gamersyde has high quality versions of some of the stuff up (AC Unity E3 gameplay, The Division e3 gameplay etc) , although their servers appear dead you can still torrent. And they've got a youtube style streaming service now too, presumably lower quality than download but still better than youtube.

yups 2015, and there's so much multiplatform game making me stopped considering to buy PS4.
i rather just play them on my PC back home in Indonesia :D

But next year? It seems Wii U will be awesome

Ive looked at arstechnica but cant see an overview
What website has a good summary of all the games that have been shown (at least a screenshot per game) and with basic info eg tentative release date / platform / developer etc

Worst E3 ever? Most of the games seem to be 2015 titles, making them irrelevant to this year's E3.

I have to say this was my best e3 ever. I was sitting down in the retro gaming area playing Adventure on an Atari 2600 they had setup with a couch and old school tv, when I turned to make a comment to the guy sitting next to me only to see that it was David Crane. I'm not normally star struck, but man that was totally awesome :)

One thing that's happening more and more in recent years is E3 "stage demos" are now just recorded footage that's been previously shown at a conference, with some dev commenting over it, rather than live gameplay.

This trend has been getting worse over 3-4 years and now seems to be almost complete.

Well the Assassin's Creed Unity single player was genuine. The official one they put out on youtube was different from the one on stage.

Considering that live gameplay may be prone to certain issues and some games require way too many people participating to properly script (like battlefield), I wouldn't be too unhappy if they ultimately had to pre-record it. They're trying to sell a game, as long as it's genuinely "gameplay" I wouldn't be too unhappy.

Worst E3 ever? Most of the games seem to be 2015 titles, making them irrelevant to this year's E3.

I personally thought there was more than enough for this year too. Sure, not a lot of that we hadn't heard about before, but still some really good stuff. Heck, they even released some of the new stuff during the show. :D

Somebody should probably make a list of games coming out between now and this fall, but it's looking quite good imho. Sure some of those games leaked beforehand, but some of them we at least hadn't seen any footage from.

The only disappointment perhaps is that there were relatively few truly new, innovative things being shown.

But I'll reserve judgment until the show is over - usually for me the true colors of most games come from the live demos that are shown to press during the show.

One thing that's happening more and more in recent years is E3 "stage demos" are now just recorded footage that's been previously shown at a conference, with some dev commenting over it, rather than live gameplay.

This trend has been getting worse over 3-4 years and now seems to be almost complete.

The LBP3 demo was real. I think one of the controllers must have been glitching out because the guy controlling Sackboy kept missing his jumps!

Wasn't there a Ubisoft conference thread? I can't find it. Seems like a good one so far.

Just that intro probably wins it, ha ha.
Far Cry 4 - November 18th. So that's this year. ;)
Just Dance '15 -> smart, with the smartphone thing. Will be interesting to see how that works. Missed the date but probably not to far off.
The Division -> Ubisoft, hire better voice actors (and dialog writers). Otherwise, I really, really like the premise of the game, restoring civilisation by taking out rogue groups. It's not so black and white as some games. 2015
The Crew -> also looks really interesting. I'm especially curious about how much roads they've got and how they've created them. Cool that they have motion seats at the show. November 11th
Assassin's Creed: Unity -> 28th October

Incidentally, I am getting the feeling 3D is finally catching up (and in some ways overtaking) 2D games at their peak in terms of how beautiful they can look this gen.

Shape Up: nice idea of matching up against yourself like that, really cool. I also like the DDR style exercise. Better score doesn't mean you're more fit though - technique and timing are more important. This looks like something that is best with Kinect or maybe even Kinect exclusive.

Valiant Hearts -> Another UbiArt engine game like Child of Light and Rayman.
Rainbow Six: Siege -> I like the destructability in this.

My only disappointment - not enough happy colorful stuff. By a mile. I guess it's where we are in the generation, and the show knows the kind of audience it has, but I'm still a bit disappointed, especially from Ubi. But it's possible there's more to see at the show floor.

Back