The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
With these new Wolfdales, we can conclude that CPU business is dead for AMD. At least we can have some hope with the graphics line. Maybe nice stuff is coming.

AMD CPUs can still sell just at lower price points and they wont be able to compete with intel on a performance basis for at least a year if not more. But AMD has been in this situation before, remember the k6-2 days? Intels chips were faster and yet OEMs still bought k6-2s so it's not like they wont be able to move the chips if the price is low enough.

AMD CPUs can still sell just at lower price points and they wont be able to compete with intel on a performance basis for at least a year if not more. But AMD has been in this situation before, remember the k6-2 days? Intels chips were faster and yet OEMs still bought k6-2s so it's not like they wont be able to move the chips if the price is low enough.

AMD was a big loser then and only managed to pull through thanks to buying an innovative design team and a BIG loan from Germany. They don't have anything like that now, ATI was their big future gamble and that doesn't look like it's going to pay off.

AMD was a big loser then and only managed to pull through thanks to buying an innovative design team and a BIG loan from Germany. They don't have anything like that now, ATI was their big future gamble and that doesn't look like it's going to pay off.
Yeah, it's not like ATI is selling video cards or anything... :rolleyes:

Q3: graphics lost $3 million and consumer electronics lost $3 million. $76 million ATI acquisition-related charge.

Q2: graphics lost $50 million and consumer electronics lost $22 million. $130 million ATI acquisition-related charge.

Q1: graphics lost $37 million and consumer electronics lost $4 million. $113 million ATI acquisition-related charge.

$5.4 billion ($4.2 in much-needed cash) doesn't go as far as it used to nowadays.

I'd expect the graphics part to do better in the 4th quarter, it maybe will be that the Ati part of AMD will actually help while the cpu side sorts itself out.

If TLB is sorted out with B3 and perhaps some higher clocked parts can come out I can see them being fairly popular, the one big problem seeming to be that of course AMD will not make as much money per core as they would wish, not being able to charge a premium price and exist on bottom feeding.

I hope things go well for them though.

Q3: graphics lost $3 million and consumer electronics lost $3 million. $76 million ATI acquisition-related charge.

Q2: graphics lost $50 million and consumer electronics lost $22 million. $130 million ATI acquisition-related charge.

Q1: graphics lost $37 million and consumer electronics lost $4 million. $113 million ATI acquisition-related charge.

$5.4 billion ($4.2 in much-needed cash) doesn't go as far as it used to nowadays.
And what about the gaming revenue that comes from the consoles? Chipset sales aren't broken out at all.

And what about the gaming revenue that comes from the consoles? Chipset sales aren't broken out at all.

It is all included in the consumer electronic numbers. Also I doubt chipsets are big money makers. It's not like they make all that many of them or that they cost a lot (== bring in lots of money)

It is all included in the consumer electronic numbers. Also I doubt chipsets are big money makers. It's not like they make all that many of them or that they cost a lot (== bring in lots of money)
Chipset sales are actually in the "computing solutions" numbers.

Yes, they are. Sorry for not breaking up the quote. I meant that consoles and handhelds are in the consumer electronics and chipsets in computing solutions.

Btw, how much did the computing solutions earn for AMD?

Consoles = consumer electronics.
Chipsets =? Breakdown not provided.

It's sort of a loop, is it not? I asked how much money ATI has made for AMD, you asked me to look at 10-Qs, I did and provide the numbers only to get "well, you are missing some data which is not included in 10-Qs" as the response. What was the point of that exercise?

To get back your first post:
Yeah, it's not like ATI is selling video cards or anything... :rolleyes:

Yes, they are selling them, at the loss up until this point. That's hardly an adequate rebuttal to someone questioning whether a deal that has cost AMD over $6 billion dollars up until this point (in acquisition expenses, losses, chargers and interest) is a gamble that is going to pay off.

I have a hard time believing this. This would be huge news and I would take it with a pinch of salt until a site I've actually heard of before reports it.

There's only so long Valve are going to tie themselves to a perceived sinking ship. It's not like AMD have either the GPU or CPU superiority that led Valve to first take the side (and cash) of ATI.

If Nvidia ponied up the cash, has better tech, and Valve wanted to side with Intel (which presumably would be difficult with an AMD deal), it would be no surprise to me to see Valve switch to TWIMTBP in their ever-hungry quest for profits. Everyone else has done it.

If AMD ever manage to pick themselves up, then I'm sure any software company would look to again side with them as a market and technology leader, but right now (and for some time into the future) that leader doesn't look like it's going to be AMD.

There's no real evidence that the ATI acquisition made Phenom late and busted, and that's the real root of the problem right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back