TES V: Skyrim

I don't really see the need to go quite that crazy with it. I'm only using "normal" Enchanting and Smithing. Put on four pieces of "Fortify Smithing" gear, pop a Fortify Smithing potion (which I pick up, because I haven't leveled my alchemy), and make the gear. I'm not armor-capped yet, but I'm only in Ebony gear. I'm going to wait until I level my enchanting some more, so I can make a better set of Smithing gear, before I make my "endgame" set of Daedric armor.

And then enchant it all with Fortify One-handed. Skadoosh.

This game's so awesome. :D (Well, except when it isn't, but I'll disregard those corner cases this time...)

I was heading towards (Main quest spoiler)
Riften
when I noticed there were a bunch of other quests in the general direction I hadn't finished, including the main quest from the mage's college, so I started off towards the ruin in question and was AGAIN awestruck at how fabulously this game looks.

The terraced pools and plateaus, and the water, and all the nice little doodads spread around, and the greenery, and around it those amazing jagged mountain peaks with the mist hovering in the passes between them... OMG so awesome.

I just wish there'd be more stuff to kill, really. The game feels a bit empty sometimes. Morrowind would get irritating when you had 10 cliff racers dogging your heels, following you until you turned and killed them, but much of Skyrim's wildlife isn't hostile. When 5-10 minutes of moving around in the wild has passed and I haven't seen anything other than foxes and bunnies to shoot at (so hard to hit if startled! Bah!), I start wishing for the spawing rate to be increased by...oh, I dunno, 50% or so?

I feel there could be more monsters in dwemer dungeons too in particular. Many rooms and corridors don't even have one single badguy to whack.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun, and there's SO much left to do even though I'm level 51. I haven't even visited all of the holds yet, and several of those I have visited have tons of quests left to finish. Then there's all that magnificient wilderness left to discover, I've forced myself to take the shortest route to where I'm going SO many times... Later when I've finished up more quests I just want to explore the continent at my own pace. Live off the land, so to speak.

Skyrim could very well be the game of the past decade, despite its armlengths of flaws. What an effort! I'm stunned.

This game's so awesome. :D (Well, except when it isn't, but I'll disregard those corner cases this time...)

I was heading towards (Main quest spoiler)
Riften
when I noticed there were a bunch of other quests in the general direction I hadn't finished, including the main quest from the mage's college, so I started off towards the ruin in question and was AGAIN awestruck at how fabulously this game looks.

The terraced pools and plateaus, and the water, and all the nice little doodads spread around, and the greenery, and around it those amazing jagged mountain peaks with the mist hovering in the passes between them... OMG so awesome.

I just wish there'd be more stuff to kill, really. The game feels a bit empty sometimes. Morrowind would get irritating when you had 10 cliff racers dogging your heels, following you until you turned and killed them, but much of Skyrim's wildlife isn't hostile. When 5-10 minutes of moving around in the wild has passed and I haven't seen anything other than foxes and bunnies to shoot at (so hard to hit if startled! Bah!), I start wishing for the spawing rate to be increased by...oh, I dunno, 50% or so?

I feel there could be more monsters in dwemer dungeons too in particular. Many rooms and corridors don't even have one single badguy to whack.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun, and there's SO much left to do even though I'm level 51. I haven't even visited all of the holds yet, and several of those I have visited have tons of quests left to finish. Then there's all that magnificient wilderness left to discover, I've forced myself to take the shortest route to where I'm going SO many times... Later when I've finished up more quests I just want to explore the continent at my own pace. Live off the land, so to speak.

Skyrim could very well be the game of the past decade, despite its armlengths of flaws. What an effort! I'm stunned.
Hehe, well, check out the stronghold on top of the mountain just southeast of Riften. That's the most enemy-filled dungeon I've seen yet...

Loved the spider cavern in the volcanic flatlands area whatsitscalled. Too bad I 1-shot even the boss spider out of stealth, so it wasn't a very epic battle - although an exceedingly creepy one - literally. At times like this I'm glad I'm not arachnophobic.

...I did have a bee fly up in my face though when I was rooting around its hive, and I do have a small thing about bees and wasps in particular, so that wasn't the most pleasant thing ever. Not so I'd start screaming and waving my arms in the air and tossing things at my monitor or anything. Just don't like it, that's all. lol. :p

(Btw, catched the bee and stuffed it in my backpack, along with the 50 million mushrooms, various leaves, berries and other junk I'm carrying around...)

I also felt compelled just now to google the voice cast actor list, and it IS Claudia Christian who voices the smith of Whiterun. I knew it! *thumps chest proudly* Didn't spot Christopher Plummer as that Greybeard fellow whatsisface though. Totally didn't sound like him, which totally goes to his credit I should add, as it's a masterful reading performance he gives.

Btw, 2 CTDs tonight... First since the latest patch. Not sure why, I haven't really changed anything. Obviously the core reason for the CTDs remain, Beth just recompiled with LAA activated and that was it.

It would be nice if the game said WHY it crashes instead of just exiting silently.

There's a new performance mod - Skyboost
It's built from the original acceleration layer mod and has some further enhancements.
There's apparently some 10% improvement over the original mod, depending on the CPU used (and the rest of the system, of course).

I just spent some 3 hours just looking at all the available mods from Skyrim Nexus and deciding which I want to use - and I didn't even start the game yet.
This is crazy, this mod community is a lot larger than Oblivion's, from what I recall.

In the meanwhile, I found out that current ATI cards don't support SSAO indirect lighting + MSAA.
It'd be interesting to know if this still holds true for Tahiti.

Omgroflwtf?

Now I won't be able to see a dragon breathe fire without hearing some dude roaring "Giddyup!"... You have ruined Skyrim for me, Bludd!

Btw...That dragon looks very much like a skinny, plucked chicken with a pimp hat on its head... Lal!

at all or just in skyrim ? I know bf3 has those 2 effects do they work together in that game

i can't say for sure, I don't have BF3. It's just what the creator of the ENBseries enhanced shader mods stated in his mod documentation..

That Skyboost app made a world of difference on my laptop (i5-520m) and I had no interest installing that SKSE stuff. Thanks for posting it!

Yeah it also did lots of difference in my Llano Athlon X4 @ 3.3GHz + HD6950.
Lowering shadow detail fom ultra to high also did an enormous difference, as it seems to be heavily CPU-dependant.

Level 8, some 6 hours spent and I'm in the middle of my first side quest.
Boy, am I glad for starting to play this during a medical leave (honest one, I promise). I'd be fired if I started playing this during a normal labor period.

Level 8, some 6 hours spent and I'm in the middle of my first side quest.
Boy, am I glad for starting to play this during a medical leave (honest one, I promise). I'd be fired if I started playing this during a normal labor period.
Yeah, it'll do that to you.. I've got 80 hours in, I think that's more than any game I've ever played except the Gran Turismo games. And I'm only lv34, and the only quest line I've finished was the Companions. I think I'm about halfway through the civil war quest line. I haven't even started the Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, or Mages Guild, and I don't think I'm that far into the main quest. And yet I've spent 80 hours on it.. lol.

I just found out that if steam won't start I can't play skyrim :( Not that it is surprising, but it is annoying to have such a thing happen. Not sure why in the heck steam if being a pain I guess I have to reinstall.

resintall --> same issue
fill out steam support bull crap
steam logs on
try to play
scanning for steam updates
Cancel
Set to offline mode
Restart steam
Play

Jeez I love how online game services and DRM makes my life easier

Last edited by a moderator:
God, alchemy's a bitch to level!

Probably easier if one perks it, but I don't think I'll have the points to spare, so...no. Even as it is I'm looking at 8, 9, maybe 10 points sunk into enchanting alone. I have these saved up already, just procrastinating on wether I should actually commit or not. :p

I brewed literally HUNDREDS of pots, and still over a dozen levels to go until I hit 100. And the ingredient effects ONLY reveal themselves by discovering them... In Morrowind you learned them automatically just by leveling the profession. Trial-and-error with a million and a half (sometimes very rare) ingredients is not my idea of fun!

And pots don't show their effect in the name, and they create tons of different stacks, and... GOD. Alchemy's such bullshit, I was gonna make it a staple on this character, but NO. No friggin' way! :( I'll just wring the character levels I can get out of it, and then that's it.

On the upside, I did gain quite a few levels in speechcraft too by buying and selling all the piles and piles of potions I've picked up as well as crafted to the alchemist in whiterun. I bought ten, twenty thousand gold's worth of her potions just so that I could sell her four times the value of my own potions back to her...then repeat that about 8-10 times and you get an idea of how many potions I was carrying. Jesus christ!

Did everyone lose their treasure chests? I looked all around with the treasure map thinking it would be a fun quest. Then I finally gave up and looked online and lo and behold bethesda decided to remove them in the patch apparently. So I wasted 20-30 min trying to find something that no longer exists :)

Huhn. That doesn't make sense. The conspiratorially inclined would assume that's because they're going to become part of the first round of paid DLC, I myself hope it was simply a mistake...

Back