Tearaway - Media Molecule [PSV]

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
I think this game deserves its own thread. Not in the least because it seems to do something rather innovative in the design department:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...edia-molecules-vita-game-brings-paper-to-life

Paper defines Tearaway, and often in some surprising ways. Fellow adventurer Okami toyed with a parchment aesthetic, but Media Molecule has built it into the very fabric of the game. "In a very classic Media Molecule way, none of the assets are built in Max or Maya or any other extremely useful 3D program," explains Alex Evans. "Instead, they actually cut in the editor we've made a giant 2D piece of paper, and they literally fold the meshes one by one by one."
"Being a geeky tech person, that saved us from the low-poly look. There's a surprising amount of polygons in there to give it a bend and a curve, everything's beveled with a little bit of texture with the grain of the paper."

Tearaway's simple sugar paper world is deceptive, then, and beneath those flat panels of colour there's a surprising amount of detail. "We've been able to use a little bit of the memory and the GPU of the Vita to not go for a retro look," Evans continues. "It's a realistic paper look. One of the team built the entire opening level in paper, and we took a photograph. The photographers were looking at it and saying it looks like the screenshot but they've got the glint wrong on the curve. It's quite an accurate rendition."

There's an obsession with papercraft that Tearaway wants to share with its players, and the idea of its delicately folded world bleeding into the player's own takes on a surprising twist. At certain points in Iota's adventure it's possible to obtain trophies, which in turn unlock PDFs of papercraft templates that can be printed off and constructed. Everything in Tearaway's world can be made with paper, and Media Molecule's kind enough to provide a guide should you want to pursue that.

if Carmack wouldve had the creativity to do this game he`d surely talk about nothing else but "megasurface" techniques :LOL:

What I realised looking at the trailer is that I want a new "Lemmings" like game for ages, the parts where you block the path with out fingers and unfold bridges... (Thats not to say Tearaway will be like Lemmings).

Reasons for buying a touch-phone = 0
Reasons for buying a vita += 1

This and KZ: Mercenary plus the PS4 support is shaping up to make this the most awesome year for the Vita! Can't wait.

Game is done internally, as one of two projects MM is working on, the other being the PS4 / Move project that was shown at the PS4 reveal.

Rayman Legends (of Wii U fame/infamy) is also a nice one for this year, 29th of August. I loved Origins, and this one also has the Wii U bonus touch levels.

@Renegade: I had a lot of Flash issues in the past on my previous (and now my wife's ;) ) desktop machine, took me forever to discover they had to do with conflicts between the HDMI out Audio chip on my GPU interfering with an almost identical or identical chipset on my motherboard.

Game is done internally, as one of two projects MM is working on, the other being the PS4 / Move project that was shown at the PS4 reveal.

Rayman Legends (of Wii U fame/infamy) is also a nice one for this year, 29th of August. I loved Origins, and this one also has the Wii U bonus touch levels.

@Renegade: I had a lot of Flash issues in the past on my previous (and now my wife's ;) ) desktop machine, took me forever to discover they had to do with conflicts between the HDMI out Audio chip on my GPU interfering with an almost identical or identical chipset on my motherboard.

So, how did u solve it ? These have started happening with me since the Flash 11.something upgrade. Sick of them.

So, how did u solve it ? These have started happening with me since the Flash 11.something upgrade. Sick of them.

I disabled one of the two Audio devices. Also be careful, after driver updates for the GPU that can sometimes enable the device again. Quite annoying.

I think I would pick atoi too ... :D

Just found out about Rayman Legends. When is it coming out on Vita ? On 29th August. :LOL:

Will probably get that as well. I rate Origin as high as Persona on Vita. Both are "perfect" for the device.

Tearaway community site:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJfnbI7W-lE

This new video is all about the paper Tearaway is made from, and the papercraft models that you’ll be able to make once the it comes out. It also details http://tearaway.me, which will be the community site for the game where all your in-game photos and papercraft plans will be stored and shared from. The site isn’t live yet, but it will be soon, so watch that space!

Tearaway launches on November 22nd.

Now that the Next Gen consoles sorta shat their collective pants right before launch date it's Vita to the rescue for me. This game just looks so adorable.

Back