Taiwan's Lin wins Sega Sammy Cup for 3rd career victory

TEXAN

Regular
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/050724/kyodo/d8bhl3802.html

Golf: Taiwan's Lin wins Sega Sammy Cup for 3rd career victory
(Kyodo) _ Taiwanese veteran Lin Keng-chi shot a solid 4-under-par 68 Sunday to win the Sega Sammy Cup for his third career title on the Japanese tour and first in four years.
Lin, who began the day tied for the lead with Shingo Katayama and Jeev Milkha Singh of India, holed a bunker shot on the par-3 second for his first of six birdies and survived a shaky back nine for a one-shot victory on 13-under 275 at North Country Golf Club in Hokkaido.

The latest title, which is worth 24 million yen, is the first for the 39-year-old since he won the Aiful Cup and ANA Open in 2001.

Lin made all six birdies through the first 13 holes on accurate iron play and a deft short game and then bogeyed Nos. 14 and 16, allowing Kiyoshi Maita to move within one stroke with a late charge.

"Looking at the leaderboard after the 16th, I thought it would be okay because I was still two shots ahead at the time," Lin said.

"I'm very pleased with this victory, which came after those struggling years. Katayama-san is a very strong golfer but didn't have luck on his side today," he added. ADVERTISEMENT

Overnight co-leader Katayama faded out of contention early on with two bogeys in the first five holes.

The 2004 top money earner had a 71 and settled for fourth on 10-under 278, two shots behind Maita and one shot off third-place Yoichi Shimizu, who fired a 66 and matched Maita for the day's low round.

Tetsuji Hiratsuka (67), Dinesh Chand of Fiji (70) and Australian Scott Laycock (70) tied for fifth at 279. Singh, the other third-round joint leader, faltered to a 73 for a tie for eighth at 280.

Man, I love Sega (probably my favorite developer if I had to choose one....ah...sweet Genesis) but Texan, you are crazy. ;)

Back