Tablet Wars 2011

Which 2011 Tablet are you most excited about?

• iPad 2

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Blackberry Playbook

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • HP TouchPad

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Android Tablets (Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10)

Votes: 19 30.6%

• Total voters
My hope is that future tablets will have a "soft bezel", with the screen extending across the entire front surface. Touch sensors on the side/back could detect how the user is holding the device and limit the display area in software to make room for the user's thumb if necessary.

THIS... genius. Nobody wants a bigger phone nor a smaller screen, but thumbing (or palming) really ruins onehanded edge-to-edge capacitive touch operation.

Well so far, 7-inch tablets aren't outselling the iPad.

Of course there are other factors besides size/pocketability at play.

Amazon doesn't release the unit volume figures for Kindle but that's another device which is more pocketable than the iPad.

Certainly size and weight are part of the iPad's success. But can smaller size and weight be extrapolated further? Will there be a substantial market at 7-inches?

Well so far, 7-inch tablets aren't outselling the iPad.

Of course there are other factors besides size/pocketability at play.

Amazon doesn't release the unit volume figures for Kindle but that's another device which is more pocketable than the iPad.

Certainly size and weight are part of the iPad's success. But can smaller size and weight be extrapolated further? Will there be a substantial market at 7-inches?

the kindle is an e-reader and isn't much good for anything but reading books. I don't see how its sales have anything to do with tablets.

The ipad while it sucks for reading books (seriously all those types of screens do) it does a number of things well so many will see its price as justifiable. Now with nooks and kindles getting ever cheaper we should see sales continue to pick up.

Once they hit the $100 mark i think they will be unstopable honestly. The quality of reading on one of those , esp when i'm on the beach compared to any lcd screen i've used is just night and day

the kindle is an e-reader and isn't much good for anything but reading books. I don't see how its sales have anything to do with tablets

Devices which can serve the some of the same functions are certainly going to have an effect on sales of the other device. A lot of my playbook's use has been as a reader. I can't see hauling around multiple devices if it's not necessary.

Devices which can serve the some of the same functions are certainly going to have an effect on sales of the other device. A lot of my playbook's use has been as a reader. I can't see hauling around multiple devices if it's not necessary.

Aren't you the guy who claims that smartphones won't affect sales of portable game consoles?

Now that we know that ARM Windows 8 will not run any legacy apps the whole argument of "windows tablets will run the programs I already own" kinda flies partially out the window.

QNX anyone?

Now that we know that ARM Windows 8 will not run any legacy apps the whole argument of "windows tablets will run the programs I already own" kinda flies partially out the window.

QNX anyone?

why ? We just know that arm windows 8 wont run legacy apps , who is to say that x86 windows 8 for tablets wont ?

why ? We just know that arm windows 8 wont run legacy apps , who is to say that x86 windows 8 for tablets wont ?

Oh I'm quite sure that x86 W8 will run some, sure. Sort of like XP->W7. I don't see x86 hitting ARM efficiencies (and slowness) in the next few months (read: 10 hour battery life).

Oh I'm quite sure that x86 W8 will run some, sure. Sort of like XP->W7. I don't see x86 hitting ARM efficiencies (and slowness) in the next few months (read: 10 hour battery life).

Guess we will have to wait and find out. However windows 8 is set for a first half 2012 launch with beta this fall (it should be shown off in june)

22nm atoms should hit around its release and 32nm bobcats should hit then also. So I can see battery life going up. We already have the acer iconia w500 getting 4:30 playing hd video and 6 hours of surfing the web using 40nm bobcats . The trasnformer gets about 8hr surfing the web and the xoom gets 5hrs .

If windows 8 x86/64 for tablets is better optimised than windows 7 is (which i don't doubt ) coupled with new APU's and metro ui we should see a leap foward for x86/64 chips in the tablet market.

I personally really like the 7" form factor. I think it's an excellent size for a small, very portable web browsing device.

I can't wait until Android 2.x is gone (the browser sucks) and we have the beefier dual cores everywhere.

Guess we will have to wait and find out. However windows 8 is set for a first half 2012 launch with beta this fall (it should be shown off in june)

22nm atoms should hit around its release and 32nm bobcats should hit then also. So I can see battery life going up. We already have the acer iconia w500 getting 4:30 playing hd video and 6 hours of surfing the web using 40nm bobcats . The trasnformer gets about 8hr surfing the web and the xoom gets 5hrs .

If windows 8 x86/64 for tablets is better optimised than windows 7 is (which i don't doubt ) coupled with new APU's and metro ui we should see a leap foward for x86/64 chips in the tablet market.

Im afraid you've got your chip timelines completely off. 32nm Atoms are slated to be relased in Q4 of this year. 22nm Atoms are set to be released only in 2013, thats a long way off. And as others have pointed out, there is no 32 nm Bobcat. There is a 28nm version which is scheduled for Q1 2012.

And as per Anandtech the Xoom gets 8.5 hours surfing the web on 3G, and 10 hours on Wifi. The transformer gets 9 hours on Wifi.

Does it really matter you get my point newer chips are coming in time for windows 8 the 28nm fusion chips have taped out and intel is bring 32nm atoms out this year. Both will be here in time for windows 8.

As for your times on the andriod tablet , Anand doesn't provide any info on what conditions he tested with.

These guys got a low of 6.5 on the trasnformer
http://www.slashgear.com/asus-eee-pad-transformer-review-03149807/

these guys are saying 5 hours playing flash for the xoom
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/27/motorola-xoom-review-tablet-computer#battery

I've seen some state less than 3 hrs for 720p playback with the screen at max brightness.

Like i said the windows 7 tablets are already reaching 4h 30minutes for 720p playback . I'm not sure how much more the average person will need.

4h 30m of hd playback is enough with me and 6 hours + of surfing is good also. I wouldn't mind another hour or two but I don't need 10 or more battery life. I don't think i've ever been away from a source of power that long before in my life and more to the point I don't think i'd ever be able to just sit there and use the device for 10 hours strait

That's great, but I've spent large chunks of my life away from power for way more than 10 hours, where something like an iPad or a Xoom would have been a great companion for what I was doing. Higher battery life is always better, and your "good enough" threshold is lower than what the market demands.

I quite like the look of the Nook Color.

I'd be tempted to buy one if it wasn't 60% more expensive over here than in the US or around 35% more expensive after taxes are factored in.

Hopefully, we'll see a dual-core equivalent available at a cheaper price by this point next year.

That's great, but I've spent large chunks of my life away from power for way more than 10 hours, where something like an iPad or a Xoom would have been a great companion for what I was doing. Higher battery life is always better, and your "good enough" threshold is lower than what the market demands.

Right but the battery life isn't going to stay the same. With a micron shrink on these chips battery times will go up and so will performance.

So where do we draw the line ? Do you need 10 hours or do you need 20 ? Do you need a 100 hours ?

The xoom doesn't even meet your standard. It provides less than 10 hours and at some tasks it provides 5 hours of battery life according to reviews.

At some threshold it becomes silly to add more battery life to a device , that will happen at diffrent points for everyone.

Like I said , the windows 7 tablets are already getting good battery life and it will only go up with the new APUs and windows 8

Remember Rys I was replying to a specific point about windows 8 on arm which is what this spun out of and the point that not even ARM is hitting the 10 hour battery life that Mize is quoting

I quite like the look of the Nook Color.

I'd be tempted to buy one if it wasn't 60% more expensive over here than in the US or around 35% more expensive after taxes are factored in.

Hopefully, we'll see a dual-core equivalent available at a cheaper price by this point next year.

yikes why so expensive ? Its $250 here in the states and NJ is 7% sales tax so $267 .

But they are supposed to be announcing a new reader later this month. I don't know if it will be a replacement to the E-ink reader or a new Color reader.

Remember Rys I was replying to a specific point about windows 8 on arm which is what this spun out of and the point that not even ARM is hitting the 10 hour battery life that Mize is quoting
It's not hitting 10 hours in what?

Cincinnati->Stuttgart=9.3 hrs
Atlanta->Shanghai=14.5 hrs
Detroit->Osaka=14 hrs

Few planes have AC power in economy.

Longest single flight in the world is 18.2 hrs.

20 hrs would be nice. 4 is quite lame. :)

yikes why so expensive ? Its $250 here in the states and NJ is 7% sales tax so $267.

To be fair, I think the Nook is only currently available from importers which would go some way to explaining the huge mark-up.

However, US-based companies (and others) have always assumed an exchange rate of roughly GBP 1.00 = USD 1.00 to profiteer from us poor old Brits, even when the exchange rate was around two dollars to the pound!

I know a number of people who have bought various techy stuff as well as lots of clothing when visiting the US - why buy equipment to take on holiday over there when you can save money buying it in the US?

Back