Tablet laptops

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
Anybody got any experience with these?

Im tempted to buy one so i can take super smooth notes in class. (To much work to draw figures and formulas (even with rapid Pi) during lectures)..

I love my TabletPC, but a few things to note...

They are generally heavier than a laptop due to the need for a glass or some other no-scratch surface for the display.

Try to avoid ones using narrow viewing angle TFT displays. Mine for example looks OK-ish in portrait (tablet) orientation one way. But if I flipped it to hold it the other way, the screen is unreadable.

If you are a good typist, then regular notebook mode is faster for taking notes for any class that doesn't require anything but text. Otherwise, tablet mode is absolutely FANTASTIC for taking extensive math/science notes.

Although training isn't required, it's a good idea to go through the handwriting training once. Handwriting recognition is generally universally good, but the training will improve things further for your particular handwriting.

Again, I can't stress how heavy a covertable tablet PC is compared to a similar spec'd notebook. Holding it up with one arm while writing on it gets tiring. Slate style TabletPC's are far better suited for this, but are also generally more expensive.

Regards,
SB

I have one, and hardly ever use it in tablet mode. Although there are a number of people in the office who do. I would have thought I'd use it to sketch diagrams, but I've taken to carrying a real paper notepad for that and just transferring the diagrams after the fact.

It's what I refer to an an almost technology, I really want to use it and it's almost at the point where I would, but combinations of weight, latency on the pen input and the fact that I want to type as much of the time as I want to draw just mean I don't.

Hmm, interesting I haven't noticed much latency in the pen input on mine. It's pretty much exactly like a standard Wacom tablet for a normal PC. Which shouldn't be a surprise as Wacom does the pen interface for the majority of tablet PCs.

The weight is definitely one of the downers, but I mostly use mine in Tablet mode.

1. Works GREAT for Pen and Paper RPG sessions. :)
2. Using the pen is fun with certain types of games (Puzzle Quest for example).
3. Great for chatting through IM where you can quickly draw something faster than trying to describe it in text.
4. Browsing the internet. Portrait view + pen flicks for navigation.
5. Quick and dirty photo-manipulation.

There's just so many things that are easier to do in Tablet mode for me. And while it isn't a perfect replacement for a paper pad, it's more convenient in some ways.

Instantly saving of multiple documents versus filing away pages from a notepad. Being able to copy and paste from one set of notes onto another set of notes. Then being able to easily import notes into say Word 2007. Being able to quickly e-mail notes to others. Easily do visual brainstorming online with people in various parts of the country.

Tablets are definitely a niche product. But it's a quite powerful and useful niche product if it suits the needs you have for one.

Oh and one thing to note as there will be a need to adjust for. Since there's a relatively thick surface between your pen and the actual LCD display, there's a bit of disconnect between where the pen "touches" the screen and where your cursor is depending on the location/angle of view in relation to your eye. You'll get used to it after some use though and start focusing on the cursor rather than the pen which is a bit opposite from using a Pen and Paper for example.

Regards,
SB

The placei find the input lag irritating and I agree it's slight, is hadwriting.
I find myself writing with very large text, predominantly because if I write small, I notice the lag.

I agree it's pretty good for drawing things, and YMMV. There are plenty of people at work who use theirs all the time.

I suspect something with a Slate form factor would actually end up being better for me.

It's a technology I really want to like, but it hasn't got there for me yet. I'm kind of hoping Apple do a nice job of it with the IPad if they ever ship it.

Back