Surface 3 powered by cherry trail

Well, I just ran into my first real annoyance with the device. You can't set it so that screen turns off but the machine keeps running when plugged in. Monitor off is tied to sleep mode. This may be a Windows thing on tablets, not sure. But it's really annoying. Sometimes I want the device to keep running while I'm away, but if I do that, the screen will never shut off. If I set it so the screen will shut off, the machine will stop running whenever I'm away.

Found that out recently when I noticed that after turning sleep mode off, and setting display to turn off after 10 minutes that my Surface 3 had to resume from sleep mode...which I remember turning off. Went to check and saw sleep mode back on. So I turned it off. Then went and set display to turn off at 10 minutes. And what do you know. Machine is now set to go into sleep mode after 10 minutes. #$@%#$

ARGH!!!! I can understand that behavior for battery mode, but it's infuriating that you can't separate the two when the machine is plugged in.

Regards,
SB

Well, I just ran into my first real annoyance with the device. You can't set it so that screen turns off but the machine keeps running when plugged in. Monitor off is tied to sleep mode. This may be a Windows thing on tablets, not sure. But it's really annoying. Sometimes I want the device to keep running while I'm away, but if I do that, the screen will never shut off. If I set it so the screen will shut off, the machine will stop running whenever I'm away.

You don't have this menu in windows 8?

aFkGqdK.png

You don't have this menu in windows 8?

Nope. Just the bottom two options. You can go into advanced to change options for "Turn display off after" with options for "On battery" and "Plugged in" but those are directly linked to putting the machine into sleep mode. It is annoying as all hell.

Regards,
SB

Well, it's called sleep mode in the power settings. It basically serves the same purpose, as my program doesn't continue to run while in that mode, so it's incredibly annoying. I basically have to leave the display on constantly if I want anything to continue running while I'm away from the tablet. Granted, it isn't a very common thing, but it is something I require every now and then.

Regards,
SB

Back