Surface 3 powered by cherry trail

Yes... via OfficeLens which was released more than a year ago on Windows Phone and last week on iOS and Android.

Evidently this exists in the Windows Store (Metro) version of One Note also. No wonder I never ran across it, I've always used the desktop version.

Regards,
SB

ah.. its only abailable on the metro.. man... MS need to man up and do their "universal" mantra. not segregate features like this...

ah.. its only abailable on the metro.. man... MS need to man up and do their "universal" mantra. not segregate features like this...

No. It's available on Windows Phone, iOS, and Android as well through OfficeLens as Ike Turner mentioned. You can the import that directly into One Note. Metro One Note has it integrated into it directly, however.

Regards,
SB

isnt that means one note only on metro that have that feature built in, while on other places you need to add it?

Apart from the screen, I find the tablet to be quite a disappointment.
Battery life is generally below Core M tablets.

I think it's a pretty nice device, but the accessory pricing and that damn micro-USB connector lets it down. I'm personally considering buying the Asus Zenbook or maybe wait for the Windows 10 Surfaces.

So many conflicting reviews. Guess I'll find out for myself when I get my device next week. Some stated reaching 80% charge much faster than Anandtech's 4h 10m, for example.

On the plus side (from the Anandtech review), it appears that it has an amazing screen (for a mobile device) that is well calibrated right out of the box.

It also looks like this is about as thin as you're going to be able to get and still have a full sized standard USB connector.

I kind of wish they'd have stuck slightly more battery in there. But that's fine. Considering it uses Micro-USB to charge, as Eastman said. For longer trips I can always use a high amp external battery unit.

As expected not suitable for modern 3D action games. But there's a ton of stuff that it'll should run just peachy that I'm absolutely addicted to (most of which is either 2D or relatively simple 3D).

And most importantly that screen aspect ratio for actually getting work done, taking notes, browsing the web, etc. Really, the device could be significantly worse, and I'd still get it just for the screen quality and aspect ratio.

Regards,
SB

Not the Surface 3, but I found this interesting. A user's thoughts after a full year of using the Surface Pro 3 as his ONLY computer.

http://gstylemag.com/2015/05/06/microsoft-surface-pro-3-review-year/

He's basically replaced his desktop, laptop, and tablet with the SP3.

Regards,
SB
When I bought my surface pro 1 , I had a laptop (a hp ultra slim that had amd dual core with a hd 3200 and a hd 4330 I believe) and a hp touch pad tablet running android kit kat at the time. I was able to do away with both of those. I still have my desktop because I game and I find working on it a bit easier when I need to multi task (I like having multiple monitors for different programs). I could only imagine how much better a surface pro 3 would be.

So far, my experience with the Surface 3 is pretty good. But a few niggles.

The screen is still too small to be comfortable (especially as my eyes get older). I think something closer to 13-14" will be the best compromise for me. That said, it would also sacrifice portability somewhat. So the Surface 3 is a pretty good compromise in that respect. If this were a traditional 16:9 display, I'd likely need something closer to 16-18" tablet for the same viewing comfort.

The 3:2 aspect ratio while significantly better than 16:9 still isn't nearly as good as 4:3, IMO. Again, it's one of those compromises between media consumption on the one hand and web/pdf consumption and content generation on the other hand. Personally since I do a lot of reading/web browsing/content creation this compromise while an improvement isn't as good as the screen size compromise.

To get the full 256 pressure levels from the pen, you have to press down quite hard which then makes the surface deform slightly impinging on the LCD pixels causing discoloration. So, I'm avoiding doing that. Hence I don't think it's actually a glass surface on this device which also makes me wonder about it's long term resistance to scratches. Might have to get a screen protector after all.

Lastly (for now), performance while good is quite obviously limited by the EMMC based storage system. It's a shame they couldn't have gone with a real SSD, but then again a real SSD is harder to justify in a low cost device that needs lower cost components. Not such a problem for truly mobile apps (very small) but is noticeable for relatively larger traditional PC applications.

Regards,
SB

hmm, on my vaio tap 11. the pressure is configurable on app. At least on michief... (you choose heavier ink/pen/whatever it named).

btw do you got alternate pen tip?

Back