Suggestion on a good Firewall & Anti-virus software.

Well thanks. I have a firewall in my router, so I am just worried about antivirus for attachments from folks who get viruses a lot :) ... anyway I have installed AVG ill let you know how it works for me.

I don't mind paying druga runda, but AVG is free and well its free so ill at least give it a go.

As darn said in a few posts above, go with Outpost as a firewall. The interface is fresh and easy to understand, it also VERY easy to configure.

If a program asks to connect outbound on port 80, it'll ask you if it's a browser and if you want to set it up with the rule preset browser (meaning, http, https, ftp and so on). It's the only firewall I've liked so far and I tried Kerio, Tiny, ZA, Norton, McAfee and a few more.

Firewall - I use a h/w router plus ZoneAlarms Pro V4.5
Virus - PcCillian 2002 seems fine with latest engine 7.1 and pattern file.

PS Zonealarms has free non-pro versions that are quite good.

Well I'm not too impressed with AVG.
I've had at least 4 cases where Norton 2002 has picked up viruses that AVG didn't.
Including last week when my updated on the day AVG noticed no viruses when I scanned my flatmates' computer but Norton picked up 77 cases of Gaggle.D & w32.HLLW.Darby :?

I use ZoneAlarm personal (up to version 5 last week) but I think I'm gonna try out Kerio or Sygate because I have to reduce ZoneAlarm security level in order to get my shared 56k to work & I know ZoneAlarm is a bit of a system hog.

Zone Alarm + PC Cillin02 too in here

Be carefull latest Zone Alarm version (50_590_015) crash windows 2000 pro sp4 often.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be compatible with previous allow/disallow settings.
Might be better off with a fresh install rather than an upgrade install?

Well if you want free,than avast! 4 Home Edition and Sygate 5.5 Free. If you want best of the best than NOD32 and Sygate 5.5 Pro. You can also check the Kaspersky Antivirus and Anti-Hacker. Both pretty good products.

F-secure is a good package. 3 different scanning engines, automatic updates, not very resource hungry. they have an firewall too but i haven't tested it.

but i have to say spyware gives me a lot more headaches...

cillin internet security 2k4 is rad. its got an integrated firewall, very customizable, beautiful virus protection. check it out man.

Any GOOD free firewall fully compatible with SP2 ? I dont like the one integrated with Windows ..

Thx

RainZ

Well, I've used Smoothwall as a firewall for quite a few years now and had no problems whatsoever with Win 98, XP, BEOS and loads of different distros of Linux :) Very flexible and offers loads of features. Also some people swear by IPcop and others.

Very stable, uses no resources on my main PC and is free.

Back