stuttering issue

i have a stuttering issue with every game (alternates smooth for about a minute, to unplayable) could it be due to having vista 64 on a logical partition created thru partition magic? my xp install stayed on the same partition (as a physical drive.)

That's the only other thing I can think of that has the remotest possibility of being the culprit is that my PC P&C TC 860's 12 V rail is always +3-4% when the included test report said it was <1%. It's always been the same though. But if it's within 5% that doesn't cause any problems, right?

used app aa and driver, no difference.

The 8800GT is new, and no display corruption.

latest bios, excellent temps across the board, wd hd diagnostic said everything was perfect w/ the hd, nothing oc'd, all stock voltages.

no bsod's either.

Warning!

problem currently being solved in a not so desirable way, i.e., formatting. losing ~$20 worth of tracks purchased from musicgiants, as well as pissed away $78 for pm so I wouldn't have to delete my xp install. $98 pissed out the window, plus losing the difference of what i bought my iceq4 1GB for and what I can sell it for. Plus all the time it takes get everything installed again.

Ok, here's the warning: ATI's last several and current drivers have a few new parts to them that will screw with your file system. I know it sounds odd how there's ati files left that corrupt data with an 8800gt in the system, but an ati employ must have been angry or crazy. one of the corrupting files was called "ati.mom" I've never heard of a file ending in ".mom."

Last edited by a moderator:
problem currently being solved in a not so desirable way, i.e., formatting. losing ~$20 worth of tracks purchased from musicgiants, as well as pissed away $78 for pm so I wouldn't have to delete my xp install. $98 pissed out the window, plus losing the difference of what i bought my iceq4 1GB for and what I can sell it for. Plus all the time it takes get everything installed again.

Ok, here's the warning: ATI's last several and current drivers have a few new parts to them that will screw with your file system. I know it sounds odd how there's ati files left that corrupt data with an 8800gt in the system, but an ati employ must have been angry or crazy. one of the corrupting files was called "ati.mom" I've never heard of a file ending in ".mom."
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

if you didnt delete your xp install then you havnt lost your music ?

have you installed *all your mboard drivers
my asrock board only runs drives in pio mode unless i install via raid tool (even though i dont use raid)

pps: its better to instal o/s's on a primary partition not a logical drive

if you didnt delete your xp install then you havnt lost your music ?

have you installed *all your mboard drivers
my asrock board only runs drives in pio mode unless i install via raid tool (even though i dont use raid)

pps: its better to instal o/s's on a primary partition not a logical drive
I had to delete my xp install.

Not only did i lose money, the tracks won't download properly on vista.

IIRC this was caused by something screwed up in your .net assemblies. If you'd just searched for where ati.mom was and deleted it and the other ati prefixed assemblies, you would just have had to reinstall the Cat drivers and they would have worked.

Generally I've only seen this when you've been installing/uninstalling drivers over and over and screwed up the install. Is this the machine where you were trying to get three different graphics cards all installed at once, because that might explain the scrambled driver install?

This was pretty much your own fault, and could have been fixed with a little investigation and thought, but it seems you got frustrated and jumped into blowing away your XP partition, and now want to find something other than yourself to blame for its loss.

BTW, another illustration of why no one should buy DRM products like music, though there may have been a way of backing up these licences if you'd though about that a little.

Back