Streaming video high cpu usage

Davros

Legend
I have a P4-3ghz and while a lot of streaming video is fine (eg: bbci player) some videos give me 100% cpu usage and the video stutters (not a bandwidth problem) I currently have a 7600gt and selecting hardware acclereation for flash doesnt seem to do anything, would replacing it with a 8800gts be worthwile ?

You need G84/86 or newer. The 8800GTS based on G80 won't accelerate Flash. The G92 8800GTS will though.

it depends on what the stream is, flash with DRM seems out of the question.
easiest case would be, what you want to watch is reached via an rtsp:// URL.
that can be opened by VLC (hopefully any media player). VLC itself has streaming amenities.

but there, since you can read the stream without a browser then the pentium 4 can deal with it..

flashvideoreplacer is interesting, a firefox extension that purports to replace the youtube video player with a local video player (mplayer).
but crap, it's stopped! before I've tried it.
http://www.webgapps.org/addons/flashvideoreplacer#

you can try a software or browser extension that downloads the flash video. boring but an integrated solution which also lauch the video player is possible, I only don't know which it is (slashdot geeks who explain they don't need flash, or boast about watching streaming on their non x86 machine, know this)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back