Star Wars the Old Republic E3 teaser...

I don't see why - the game won't look or play like that trailer, so it's not really indicative of anything other than the kind of emotional state the devs are hoping to generate in the player: "Excitement! Battle! Jedis! Bad jedis! Light sabres! Droids! Jon Williams soundtrack!".
Me, I'm still wondering how the "Old Republic" era Sith guys got their paws on all those "New Republic" clone army ships from, what 3500?, years into the future. :?::???:

Meh on the whole Star Wars MMORPG thingy... Give me a proper third KotOR, then we'll talk.

Gambling makes money hand over fist too. There are many similarities between what passes as a "MMOG" today and gambling so I can see why it works on people.

I like the gambling connection. You could also say addiction, drugs, whatever. Anything that draws one in I guess. Then there are the power players vs casual. Those who just enter the world instead of watching countless hours of tv.

Lets not forget the social aspect of it - another reason why mmo's have such a strong pull. You can be anything, anyone, you name it. A sense of walking when maybe one can't.

I don't see why - the game won't look or play like that trailer, so it's not really indicative of anything other than the kind of emotional state the devs are hoping to generate in the player: "Excitement! Battle! Jedis! Bad jedis! Light sabres! Droids! Jon Williams soundtrack!". In reality it's probably grinding, ganking and long treks from one zone to another as yet another dev tries to stretch everything out for maximum subscription revenue.

That trailer might as well be an advert for a new Star Wars novel.

Still, I'd say that if any franchise has got a chance of going up against the mighty WoW, it would be a Star Wars game.

No - the game wont' look like that. I agree. Not today anyway. Age of Conan is probably one of the better looking mmo's out today but the system requirements are just too high - it takes away a lot of subscribers. One more advantage to wow, eh?

My point about lighting a fire. Video showed action, potential, story, drama, defeat, deception. The point of the trailer is to get people interested. It doesn't matter if the end result doesn't look like it. Wow's trailers never do. Most game trailers don't.

Also its a very valid point to the poster who said we've seen it all before. Good vs bad vs sith vs alliance, etc. Honestly - is it any different than say wow or any other mmo out today? Whats the difference between alliance, horde, orc, elf, etc?

I dunno honestly. I think those who play that type of game (yes, I'm one) are always looking for whats next.

My point about lighting a fire. Video showed action, potential, story, drama, defeat, deception. The point of the trailer is to get people interested. It doesn't matter if the end result doesn't look like it. Wow's trailers never do. Most game trailers don't.

I agree it gets people interested to see what all the fuss is about. Some (like you) will be interested in an MMO because that's what you're into. Others (like me) will be disappointed that the trailer is actually advertising something I'm not interested in.

Also its a very valid point to the poster who said we've seen it all before. Good vs bad vs sith vs alliance, etc. Honestly - is it any different than say wow or any other mmo out today? Whats the difference between alliance, horde, orc, elf, etc?

I dunno honestly. I think those who play that type of game (yes, I'm one) are always looking for whats next.

I'm not so sure about that. If you have your friends and a lot of time and emotional investment in something like WoW, you will need more than just "WoW-with-a-Star-Wars-theme", to tempt you away. I'd like to see something that's fundamentally different and brings a new paradigm to the table.

That's why I have a lot of respect for the likes of Eve, Stargate, Black Prophecy, etc, because they are doing something different in the MMO space. I don't see how anyone is going to make a living trying to take on WoW or live off their table scraps. It's got to be a different style of game, not just a different set of graphics and maps on top of the same thing.

Just took a look and looks like they are going micro-transaction based.

Base game will be free...

Can use RL money to buy hirelings, equipment, new classes that weren't available in original release, new content, potions and ammo while in dungeon, etc...

Think I'll pass. A friend said you can cap level in a week easily and then have nothing to do.

Regards,
SB

That's why I have a lot of respect for the likes of Eve, Stargate, Black Prophecy, etc, because they are doing something different in the MMO space.
EVE is in a class of it's own, the only big game with player run factions ...

Black Prophecy? Same old dual faction, constrained PvP with PvE grind ... only in space. Apart from the "in space" part I don't see how it's so different.

Stargate? I don't see much new there either.

IMO Aion with it's PvPvE concept brings more change to the table than either of those last two. Although I prefer player chosen factions, but for now no publisher is willing to put a big budget behind those kind of games ... CCP will show everyone how it's done, in space and on the ground.

Looks MMOey. I wish they'd release an MMO with more interesting combat. Enemy AI in MMOs is worse than the crappy AI in regular games. At least this game might have an ok story with some fun dialog options.

Man ... now I'll feel really guilty skipping through conversations :( The flexing metal breastplate during animation annoyed me a bit ... for the rest it looks as good as you can expect from a MMO I guess. They really follow the MMORPG formula in combat, same old stand still while doing your combat rotation, same old "if it's outside aggro range it doesn't matter" killing companions in full view bullshit ...

PS. as for first MMO with cover ... didn't Conan and DDO have LoS on NPC abilities?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks totally bland to me. Like "Mass Effect waste-of-time dialogues" and combat that looks lightweight and a chore. I thought it was funny the way the programmer kept saying "the dialogues will make a big difference, they're really super important, look, we've had them all voiced individually, listen to the voices, there's so many of them!"

It plays a fair bit like world of warcraft only with the interactive dialogue (with light and dark choices) from Mass Effect for every quest.

What I've seen of it looks like a combination of KOTOR gameplay and other MMO game mechanics. The skills/jedi powers work quite a bit differently than in KOTOR (more like WoW / EQ probably).

I really wish they had gone for an original soundtrack like the KOTOR games did. The original soundtrack to those games really was a part of what made them so unique I think. Unique atmosphere.

It's basically a single player game with MMO stuff tacked on. I'd say wait until it goes F2P as I don't expect most MMO players that are playing it currently to continue playing it for more than maybe 2-3 months at the most. And I expect the non-MMO players to drop it after a month or less once they've gotten their fill of the single player side of things.

Regards,
SB

How is that different from other dual faction MMOs? AFAICS most people solo the majority of the time in EQ2 and WoW as well until the end game, only grouping for gearing. They are all single player games with MMO stuff tacked on, the degree to which that stuff can hook people is the question.

It's basically a single player game with MMO stuff tacked on. I'd say wait until it goes F2P as I don't expect most MMO players that are playing it currently to continue playing it for more than maybe 2-3 months at the most. And I expect the non-MMO players to drop it after a month or less once they've gotten their fill of the single player side of things.

Regards,
SB

It's as much an MMO as any MMO, it's just that like WoW, you can solo if you'd like. It's about as likely to go F2P in 3 months as it is likely they are going to start shipping copies of COD in boxes of cereal. It's actually had a faster uptake than WoW. It may not last but its not like they are struggling to find ways to get people to play on one of the 250 servers they have atm.

Back