Star Wars: Jedi Survivor [XBSX|S, PC, PS5]

This isn't a next gen game. It's a cross gen title in disguise.

View attachment 8700

Super flat ground textures and no shade at all for the grass. Geometric detail could be better.

Draw distances are nice but I gotta agree. Asset detail and density would be right at home on PS4. Hopefully it means a solid locked 60fps on PS5.

This isn't a next gen game. It's a cross gen title in disguise.

View attachment 8700

Super flat ground textures and no shade at all for the grass. Geometric detail could be better.

I wonder if it was ever a cross gen title. Two and half years is a positively spritely development time these days for a title of Surviver's scope. It seems that supersizing last gen content pipelines only gets you so far.

So the game will support RT GI and RT reflections, but RTGI is a curious choice, given that the game is a UE4 title, as that engine supports a very limited form of RTGI (diffuse dynamic only, probe based), as a result it doesn't impact visual fidelity by much, it only mostly removes light leaks from GI probes or adds a bit of indirect shadowing to the environment.

So either the game is using a custom made RTGI solution, or they have wasted the support on something that adds little fidelity.

vtel4u.JPG

So the performance issues aren't just on PC. Seems the game is universally busted, on every platform. We'll have to see the magical day one patch in effect that should help problems

I am starting to wonder if one of the reasons some games this generation has been so reliant on large amounts of VRAM is the increased use of significantly more unique assets at, say, middle quality versus what some games are doing with fewer unique assets at higher quality as someone showed was the case for TLOU PC.

That means that past methods of just reducing texture quality will have a limit on just how much VRAM you can recover by reducing texture quality. IMO, I'd rather have an order of magnitude more unique textures at middling quality versus a limited number of extremely high quality textures. But that also means that you are going to need more VRAM full stop and there's nothing a developer would be able to do to address that other than just not texture some objects? Or I guess the dreaded N64 texture quality?

Alternatively, developers really need to start rearchitecting their engines for DirectStorage and SFS. Although I imagine >10/12 GB VRAM will still be a valuable resource.

Regards,
SB

Alternatively, developers really need to start rearchitecting their engines for DirectStorage and SFS.
This is exactly part of the problem. All this DX12 and DX12U stuff was reliant on developers rearchitecting their engines... and let's face it... they haven't been doing it. They're in no rush. Only Sony's own proprietary engines seem like they're advancing in any meaningful rate.

It's pathetic how DirectStorage 1.2 has released, and we still haven't even heard of any games being announced which implement DS1.1 with GPU decompression. Microsoft's own teams are failing spectacularly at advertising any advantages any of this stuff brings to their platforms and games. Is Starfield going to support DS on PC? Doubt it. Forza? No reason to think so. All their other games are years out yet... Hellblade 2, Avowed.. Fable, Perfect Dark.... All next year at the earliest.

I'm tired of all this talking... they have to start showing.

Not even 16GB of VRAM will be enough in this case, TLOU already needs 14GB of VRAM at 4K without Ray Tracing and without being an open world game, and with frankly middling asset quality. If any next gen game is released with any of these features (higher quality unique assets, ray tracing, open world), then the least we would need is 20GB or even 24GB of VRAM.

I also think TLOU is just a case of lazy porting, water appears black on low settings! That's just lame.

Last edited:
Such a sh*t show on PC. Again. They have no excuse, it's a well known engine by now. It's frustrating because the game itself seems fine and pleasant to play. Maybe the industry has grown too much without an increase of talented devs... Performance was a matter of pride at some point... It's a sad situation...

There's a huge bug in Nvidia driver that greatly affects CPU performance from what's going around on Twitter.

Apparently AMD GPU's don't have the same issue with CPU performance.

But look at that 4090, it's only at 38% load!

I wish every game thread wasn't polluted with how shaky PC gaming is and that we were actually talking about the game.
I think you should be able to put up with that a bit if the PC users have to put up with everything thread turning into how Nvidia is god's gift to humanity.

Mods could do the same with the thread like a few others with a dedicated one for PC settings and issues.

Back