Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Yes, they should deliver the game they are making. As in, they should have a release with the features I described and if they don't I would consider that a "failure".
OK, since they should deliver a game, and you should at least be able to play the game when it is delivered, what would you say is a reasonable delivery window to do it?

It is not for us to decide, it is for the people who continue buy ships and other stuff in Star Citizen that decides.

I agree.

Anyone who has spent any money on Star Citizen in the last five years knew what they bought.
I'm not so sure.
Yes they knew they bought something incomplete, but I can't tell if most of them realized that they bought this as is, and can't do anything about it.
What most of them actually bought, is a promise.
A promise made from a brilliant, as you pointed out, marketing department, that states that, at some point they will have the game of their dreams.
A game so ambitious the world has never seen.
Now, most of the times, dream selling turns out to be a scam.

I hope this one will turn out to be true, and you get that game, but me personally, I won't be giving them any of my money any time soon.

OK, since they should deliver a game, and you should at least be able to play the game when it is delivered, what would you say is a reasonable delivery window to do it?
I think it would be reasonable for the game to be effectively in a beta state by the end of 2025. (Multiple systems added, professions fully playable, dynamic economy up and running).

I think it would be reasonable for the game to be effectively in a beta state by the end of 2025. (Multiple systems added, professions fully playable, dynamic economy up and running).
This is a twelve year old thread.
One and a half years, is nothing in Star Citizen time. :)
I guess we'll talk again then. :)

On a side note,
I've done this conversation a few times over the years, and the most vocal, die-hards won't ever commit to a date, because deep down, they know.
The few that did commit to something reasonable, have seen that date go by.

Bludd isn't saying they are. It's a turn of phrase, saying they they are of the mindset that having invested so much already, it's prudent to keep investing until completion - the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

I'm not so sure.
Yes they knew they bought something incomplete, but I can't tell if most of them realized that they bought this as is, and can't do anything about it.

CIG had promised things for seven years five years ago. If you hadn't realized that you is probably one of those people that believes Winds of Winter will be published this year.

What is "completion". All ships? SQ42 release?
I've no idea. There's no clear end point. Hence the need to keep investing until the game you've been spending on can finally get 'finished'. Unless you think those spending on the game are happy with the state as shown in those videos? Is the game 'complete' already and worth the money spent, including on ships that aren't presently in the game?

Actually, that's a pretty good reference point. The game should at least have every ship in it that people have paid for...

I've no idea. There's no clear end point. Hence the need to keep investing until the game you've been spending on can finally get 'finished'.

You don't have to buy (don't use words like "invest") more ships to keep on playing Star Citizen. People today buy the ships because they want to (for reasons I don't really understand).

CIG had promised things for seven years five years ago. If you hadn't realized that you is probably one of those people that believes Winds of Winter will be published this year.
I'm not waiting for the book, and I haven't spent a cent on Star Citizen. ;)
I play their free week every year or so, to see if they made any actual progress, and every time I decide against buying into it.

The point of that post was, that their marketing is at the very least, misleading.
I'm certain though, that they have all their legal bases covered.

SQ42 is not Star Citizen. I made a rhetorical question :)
As an original backer, I disagree. I funded a game with a solo campaign, and a multiplayer part (I had moderate interest in).
(I haven't put a single cent since my original funding of the game, given the company keeps failing to deliver.)

You don't have to buy (don't use words like "invest") more ships to keep on playing Star Citizen. People today buy the ships because they want to (for reasons I don't really understand).
That's the point of the 'sunk cost fallacy' argument. There are people spending more money. Why? To keep the dream alive as if the funding stops, the game stops at this current build. Hence they 'buy ships' to 'invest in the game'. Some people won't spend any more, but others are still investing. Indeed, more last year than any other.

That's a theory, that people are 'in too deep' that they are stuck funnelling cash in, as often happens with big projects that go over time and over budget and the management say, "just a bit more, we'll get over the line."

Chris Roberts launched this game on his reputation. That reputation likely lies in tatters.
Do you not know what his reputation was before Star Citizen? :LOL:
His reputation has been verified & strengthened by Star Citizen.
His reputation is why I was super excited when I first heard of it but also why I refused to commit any $.

Do you not know what his reputation was before Star Citizen? :LOL:
His reputation has been verified & strengthened by Star Citizen.
His reputation is why I was super excited when I first heard of it but also why I refused to commit any $.
i basically wanted freelancer 2 and not this metaverse bullcrap where you have to watch janky animations for hours just to do the simplest tasks

Back