Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

i basically wanted freelancer 2 and not this metaverse bullcrap where you have to watch janky animations for hours just to do the simplest tasks
And that is another thing that won't ever make sense to me...
Some people think they want something, but I bet they won't be very happy if they actually get it.

Waiting to go from point a to point b is not good gameplay...
Waiting to get your ship, traveling to your ship, waiting for the train, waiting in general.
Doing tedious tasks, reinventing the wheel with tedious animation work for well established functions...
:no:

And that is another thing that won't ever make sense to me...
Some people think they want something, but I bet they won't be very happy if they actually get it.

Waiting to go from point a to point b is not good gameplay...
Waiting to get your ship, traveling to your ship, waiting for the train, waiting in general.
Doing tedious tasks, reinventing the wheel with tedious animation work for well established functions...
:no:
yeah too much realism isnt fun. games are supposed to be fun

watching the animation where you enter the cockpit is fun and cool the first time, but it gets old, boring and slow REALLY FAST

i had the same problem in the newer battlefield games (enter tank means opening hatch and camera moves in EVERY TIME) or far cry games where you open a lot of crates (they added an option to skip that long animation in a patch)

i had the same problem in the newer battlefield games (enter tank means opening hatch and camera moves in EVERY TIME)
No, this was a great change for gameplay/balance reasons. It used to be far too easy for people to hug a vehicle, either for cover or repairs, only to instantly be able to teleport into the vehicle the second they start getting shot at. Having to have actual awareness and no get out of jail free card made for a lot better balance given how threatening vehicles can be and the risk you often need to take to get near one to take it down.

Agree otherwise on the 'realism doesn't mean fun' claims, though.

No, this was a great change for gameplay/balance reasons. It used to be far too easy for people to hug a vehicle, either for cover or repairs, only to instantly be able to teleport into the vehicle the second they start getting shot at. Having to have actual awareness and no get out of jail free card made for a lot better balance given how threatening vehicles can be and the risk you often need to take to get near one to take it down.
that was fun for me and opened up a lot of what makes battlefield great, stupid meme moves involving vehicles
but its fine, i just stopped playing battlefield games 😥

Animations for getting in and out of vehicles are important. It depends on the length of the animation. I don't want to be teleported onto the motorbike or into the vehicle in Cyberpunk 2077 either. That destroys the immersion.

Getting on was also better in Battlefield V. In other Battlefields I can always teleport out quickly when things got dangerous.

Animations for getting in and out of vehicles are important. It depends on the length of the animation. I don't want to be teleported onto the motorbike or into the vehicle in Cyberpunk 2077 either. That destroys the immersion.

Getting on was also better in Battlefield V. In other Battlefields I can always teleport out quickly when things got dangerous.
not when they are long and boring and timed for realism instead of fun and the insight that these animations will be repeated thousands of times. if they are to exist they have to be very short

Battlefield 2 was the game that stopped me playing online games
bf 1942 secret weapons expac and bf2 was what got me into battlefield, but i stopped after bf1 because bfv was just unfun for me. i did buy bf2042 on sale but only played it a few times, it didnt hook me. but enough about bf

That's the point of the 'sunk cost fallacy' argument. There are people spending more money. Why? To keep the dream alive as if the funding stops, the game stops at this current build. Hence they 'buy ships' to 'invest in the game'. Some people won't spend any more, but others are still investing. Indeed, more last year than any other.

People who play Star Citizen buy ships (they don't "invest") because they want to play with those ships. Not for some other extremely far fetched reason.

People who play Star Citizen buy ships (they don't "invest") because they want to play with those ships. Not for some other extremely far fetched reason.
i bet there are whales who buy practically every ship just so they can swap to the meta ship in a given role and if x% of the ships they have bought are never meta, they will never use them

That argument breaks when those ships don't exist in game and cannot be played. Any spending on a concept ship is definitely an investment of sorts just as funding the Kickstarter was; the more ludicrously expensive, the more the investment. Perhaps thinking they'll be able to sell it later at a profit?

There'll also be a contingent wanting to give the devs money to continue, and spending in game to do that.

Then there'll be others buying content they're playing in the game as it is.

We have no idea what the distribution of motives is.

Last edited:
That argument breaks when those ships don't exist in game and cannot be played. Any spending on a concept ship is definitely an investment of sorts just as funding the Kickstarter was; the more ludicrously expensive, the more the investment. Perhaps thinking they'll be able to sell it later at a profit?

Pre-order and pre-purchase is not the same as investing. Maybe if you used the word "backing" I could agree, but people buy SC ships because the think they will be (eventually) fun to play with.

Back