Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Was looking at some steering wheels and Hori do a wheel for farming simulator
1718052459655.png
Ignore the wheel and look at the joystick, it strikes me that it would be awesome for Star Citizen
1718052561826.png

View attachment 11445
Ignore the wheel and look at the joystick, it strikes me that it would be awesome for Star Citizen
View attachment 11446
I don't think so, since its spaceships aren't aircrafts in space (like X-Wings for exemple), but really move in 3 dimensions (so 6DoF), which means you need 6 axes to dog fight.
That's basically 2 joysticks with rotations, that's why double Thrustmaster T.16000M are used for exemple, though some people recommend going FPS style, with your left joystick controlling forward/backward, slide left/righ and move up/down, and the second controlling 2 axes of rotation like your mouse would (assuming you're right handed), and putting the last axis of rotation on pedals...
But then if you don't plan on fighting, that might be enough.

Let me see
pitch up/pitch down would be controlled by the stick (1)
roll left/roll right would be controlled by the stick (2)
yaw left/yaw right would be be controlled by the pedals (3)
slide left/slide right would be controlled by the hat switch (4)
slide up /slide down would be controlled by the hat switch (5)
forward/back would be controlled by the throttle (6)

Have I missed anything ?

Last edited:
Let me see
pitch up/pitch down would be controlled by the stick (1)
roll left/roll right would be controlled by the stick (2)
yaw left/yaw right would be be controlled by the pedals (3)
slide left/slide right would be controlled by the hat switch (4)
slide up /slide down would be controlled by the hat switch (5)
forward/back would be controlled by the throttle (6)

Have I missed anything ?
Yes, hats are numeric switches, not analogic, so you won't have fine enough control to do many manoeuvers around your target compared to people using double sticks (+pedals).
That said I heard some people are rather good using keyboard & mouse so...
Maybe there are people dogfighting in Star Citizen around here who could enlighten use more.
I only have a HOTAS Warthog, so I'm unsure. (Though I can totally get the appeal/benefit of having 6 analogic controls.)
[I mean people with those setups would likely be at an advantage, so you would need to upgrade to something similar to keep up with them.]

Last edited:
I only have a HOTAS Warthog,
Me too - great minds eh
although I also have a Sidewinder Precision Pro, Logitech wingman 3d, Logitech Wingman Force(force feedback ftw), T-Flight Hotas X and an X-52

ps: analogic isn't a word ;)
pps: Thrustmaster have a new base out for the Warthog the AVA base

Last edited:
View attachment 11445
View attachment 11446
I think a big issue with this is the throttle is too close to the stick. In combat flight sims, throttle modulation is critical and you'll be doing a lot of it, so you really want it separated out for your other hand, so you can do both at the same time comfortably.

"So I could still use it, just less comfortably?"

Well notice the shape of the throttle and the buttons on the left side for the thumb. This really demonstrates that this device is meant to be used by just one hand(and just a right hand, at that).

It could maybe work in a pinch if you really needed it to, but it's very much not suited for combat flight.

I do like the desk clamp, though. Wish there more sticks/HOTAS that had this.

I had to buy a monstertech because my desk makes the stick too high for my liking it does the job but I think it's overpriced for what it is, for those who are happy with the height the warthog isn't going to move it weighs a ton

I had to buy a monstertech because my desk makes the stick too high for my liking it does the job but I think it's overpriced for what it is, for those who are happy with the height the warthog isn't going to move it weighs a ton
Oh geez, yea, just looked and their stuff is really expensive. Definitely cheaper ways to get lowering brackets for a desk. But perhaps the quality is much better, never tried it.

All depends on how seriously you take this stuff, I guess.

Back