Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by green.pixel, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Daozang

Veteran Regular

LOL
    I am equally concerned about both the Dereks and the Chrises of this world :p

hoom likes this.
  2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Don't say his name again, if it's posted 3 times in the same thread in a row you KNOW he always appears! :runaway::runaway::runaway:

Daozang, Davros and BRiT like this.
  3. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Kate Russel from BBC made this video about him. He really annoyed her on Twitter after she wrote something about SC.

I find it strange that many SC skeptics stood behind him

#1783 Jupiter, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Lightman, Daozang and digitalwanderer like this.
  4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I LOVED THAT!

Thank you, never saw that haven't heard from DS in years so it was a real treat for me. <3

Did he ever end up making a game? WTF is up with him and Star Citizen, is he bashing it because someone stole his "idea" but is actually making something and making monies off it? (<-Crazy, WILD guess off the top of my head. I really don't know.)

5. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Bloody hell, that was awesome. :)

6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It's not a survival game. It's similar to a survival game in that all the gameplay is centered around allowing players to do what they want, when they want to do it with little to no overarching story. It's that core concept of creating your own story that turns some people off to these types of games. 7 Days to Die is more similar to this in the sense that there isn't really any overarching story. Conan Exiles at least has a thin veneer of a story to it, but even that is secondary to the player creating their own stories and making up their own motivations to do things in the game world.

Funny thing that. Not everyone has the same tastes, enjoys the same things, likes the same colors, hates the same things, etc.

It's almost like people are different. And <gasp> because they are different they may not like the same things. Imagine that?

Most on this forum think console gaming is better than PC gaming. Does that make you a weirdo that you think PC gaming is better (it is)?

It's fine to dislike a game, but I always find it strange when people start to question or denigrate what other people like in a game.

Regards,
    SB

#1786 Silent_Buddha, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    PSman1700 and Daozang like this.
  7. Davros

Legend

Except when they tell everyone features that arnt in the game are great

8. Daozang

Veteran Regular

The whole playable space (it isn't small), resides on a server that supports 50 people max... Emergent gameplay requires gameplay systems, and actual players.
    And at least some competent AI to fill the rest...
    Seeing two people on any play-session on average, doesn't help.
    There are three-four types of missions you can do, but besides mining, (that is okish) and deliveries (I think they both require a certain type of ship), the rest (anything that requires combat) is mediocre to downright bad.
    The whole thing is not a game, it is a promise of a game.

I honestly hope that Star Citizen becomes an actual game some day, I really do.
    I wouldn't be trying it every time they have a free flight week, if I wasn't trying to find a reason to buy it.
    After all, the potential of the whole thing is, simply amazing.
    And I was ready to support them back when, at the kick-starter, although I'm glad that in the end I didn't put any money into it.
    But lately, to me at least, the whole thing looks like a lost cause.
    If the people funding and supporting the game's development are content with useless digital downloads (ships) that up till now, have no systems to justify their existence, and at the same time, feel that every delay is justified and no criticism is valid because of, reasons, how can this become an actual game...?

I am honestly thinking that, they reached a point where they just can't move forward, and are selling ships to keep the lights on...
    The goal from almost the beginning, was to make a massive online multiplayer game.
    If they cannot fix their network and server tech after all those years, I have little to no faith they will fix anything else.
    But, that's just me, and I might be wrong.

Kyyla, PSman1700, hoom and 1 other person like this.
  9. Davros

Legend

I thought the goal was to make a single player game a modern wing commander

Daozang likes this.
  10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That was one of two goals that they had. The open world game (Star Citizen) and the single player SQ42 subset of the game.

Regards,
    SB

Daozang likes this.
  11. Daozang

Veteran Regular

That is why I said almost from the beginning!
    If I remember correctly the mmo part was one of the stretch goals of the original kick starter.

12. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

I dont think anyone here actually thinks that console gaming is better, not anyone sane atleast. Apart from exclusives, they offer the same, just usually the best versions on pc.

13. hoom

Veteran

All the hundreds of thousands of hours of pretty, talky vids, the millions of pages of Forum posts could really be boiled down to this one sentence.

They're like a startup car manufacturer trying to produce a world leading Supercar:
    They've bought the license to a 4WD chassis, hired 300 stylists & 500 marketers a few decent mechanics working on suspension & figuring out how to link a Supercar body to a 4WD chassis.
    But they've apparently just got the one guy working on a scratch-built engine & drive-train that needs to be world-leading in power & efficiency to achieve the performance they've promised & he doesn't get on with the suspension guys.

They are already selling their 4th generation body, are selling 450 variations of body kit/colour combo, are on 3rd generation interior with 30 different interior options.
    But the ride is haphazard & so-far they've only got a rough-running 5hp 2-stroke engine on a chain-drive without reverse.

By comparison we have the example when Russia was starting up a new company to make a world-class Presidential Limo:
    The contract went to a domestic Govt organisation with existing expertise in vehicle tech plus hired in Porsche & Bosch to help develop the engine, drive-train & chassis to form a common foundation on which they've let the stylists & interior guys build bodies for armored Presidential Limo, unarmored Rolls-Royceskii & Parade convertible.
    They're planning on future Van & 4WD models but they're making sure the Limos get built & find a market first.

Lightman and Daozang like this.
  14. Daozang

Veteran Regular

I have no clue whatsoever when it comes to cars!!!
    So almost everything went past me, but I kind of get the gist of it :p

PSman1700 likes this.
  15. ^M^

^M^
    Newcomer

They refuse to finish the game until GRR Martin finishes the Game of Thrones serie.

It's a weird thing about religions, when they predict something and it doesn't happen it only makes people believe more.

Billy Idol, Daozang and hoom like this.
  16. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

When 2016 came along i started to sell a lot of the ships i had at a profit. I now have 4 or 5 ships (one i was given free from an optane drive) even with the ships i have now i made a profit. So its not the end of the world if it goes under.

17. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

There is a Free To Play event with multiple ans also some massive space ships at the moment.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-showdown/live-showdown

Finally Roberts writing something again:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...atmospheric-room-system-4-years-later/3366236

#1797 Jupiter, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Lightman and jlippo like this.
  18. HBRU

Regular Newcomer

I'm gonna buy the XSX because I think it's the only today's console that will be able to run Star Citizen

Lightman likes this.
  19. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

this game needs a "floor", "wall", "ceiling" system

moving over a "floor" needs to be a challenging endeavor. there could be a "nail" there, maybe a part of the "floor" has been weakened by "room" under being weakened. you may use the "wall" as a support but maybe the "room" on the other side has been weakened too

also i want a "toilet" system and "bed" system
    if you dont use the "toilet" system before the "bed" system you may "wet" the "bed" system 3 hours into your "sleep" system gameplay

Lightman and Daozang like this.
  20. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

SC could probably run on a PS4 with everything scaled down. Anyway, neither XSX or PS5 will be able to run it.... because it wont appear there. And even if it did, they would pale in comparison to a high end pc version. Even a 2080Ti gets pushed to the max, with a 12 core high speed ryzen processor. It's also ram heavy, 32GB system ram wont do any harm, as does atleast 12GB vram, but you'd probably want more.
    Also, even Optane drives see improvements over 'normal' nvme drives. This is the Crysis of modern pc gaming :p