Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by green.pixel, Oct 8, 2012.

1. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

That makes no sense. 3% of a game is not a game, it is a tech demo. AAA games are at least playable, SC is not. Not as a game at least.

pharma, ToTTenTranz, Kyyla and 7 others like this.
  2. Davros

Legend

Jupiter would you like to buy some magic beans?

imerso likes this.
  3. MfA

MfA
    Legend

I still don't understand what multiplayer gameplay is supposed to look like. They are not chasing the technology for PvP area control ala Eve, I don't hear anything about shipclass specific scenarios ala STO.

So just resource collection, trading, ganking and spaceship sim? I guess it will have some appeal, but doubt it will have the staying power of Eve.

imerso and Lightman like this.
  4. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Maybe only PVE ?

imerso likes this.
  5. hoom

Veteran

Interesting, the FTR vid has been taken down (voluntary or forced?), maybe he went a bit far?
    Forbes article is still up though.

From what I've seen something like: You wake up, put some clothes on, drink some coffee, walk to the train station, wait for the train, get on the train, commute, complete walking to work, spend hours tediously grinding for limited gain, reverse the process, then you boot up Star Citizen and repeat.
    But virtually this time, with CTDs and lots of waiting for other players as you rattle round a high-fidelity but mostly empty universe in ships that 'look cool' but have horrendous design flaws & mostly are supposed to be crewed by several actual players but don't really work that way.
    Then you record a 3hr video expounding how awesome its going to be when eventually you get to take out your 80 crew ship manned by real players coordinated with internal comms using FoIP & do... something?

imerso, Lightman, homerdog and 3 others like this.
  6. MfA

MfA
    Legend

That's not a problem in and of itself, but a good multiplayer PvE experience requires careful game design to have some depth. Has to be designed as a MMO instance, that's why I mentioned STO.

I'm not hearing much in that direction, they seem to want a mostly player directed MMO ... but they just don't seem to have the tech necessary for it, or business model.

imerso likes this.
  7. imerso

Newcomer

I don't think that this is impossible to have an entire universe densely populated procedurally, with unique variations.

It is just that we humanity are still learning how to procedurally generate.

In a few generations maybe we reach the point of being able to create entire procedural universes with unique characteristics for everything, from star clusters down to insects.

Star Citizen is an awesome project, though. Wish I could work on it and do some humble contributions, honestly.

jlippo likes this.
  8. hoom

Veteran

Its already here: No Mans Sky.

imerso likes this.
  9. imerso

Newcomer

Well, no. =)

Given the context (I should have quoted the other posts to keep the context), no, not yet.

NMS is certainly in the direction, but I mean something much more "complex", let's say, with so much more entropy and most probably using AI to create deeply complex star systems, civilizations, buildings with interiors etc that we would not be able to differentiate from hand-made.

I mean a level of entropy where every simple little thing from tiny insects up to huge galaxies will have so many different random and inter-influencing properties that we will be literally playing God.

10. imerso

Newcomer

Articles criticizing this game are everywhere now.

The way I see it is: Excessively ambitious? Yes, I think so. Scam? No. Even if I don't completely agree or like some of their priorities and results, I don't think it's a scam in any way.

Wish I lived close to one of their studios, I would certainly try hard to get hired and would give my best to help.

I am really curious to see what will happen in the end.

milk likes this.
  11. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

They've continuously lied about the state of development and promised features that they have no chance of delivering. They're either grossly naive, incompetent, liers or a combination of all three. Most of the time when people say scam, that's really what they're talking about.

#1511 cheapchips, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    ToTTenTranz, imerso, homerdog and 5 others like this.
  12. tuna

Veteran

What promised features does not Star Citizen have any chance of delivering?

imerso likes this.
  13. fuboi

Newcomer

imerso, Ike Turner and BRiT like this.
  14. milk

Veteran Regular

That's, unfortunately, how a lot game studios go, and as well as other creative industries. It's just that when it's not a crowdfunded project most of thar mess is hidden from the consumer's sight.

imerso likes this.
  15. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

i'm still waiting for them to deliver on the original kick starter. All this world stuff is great, but just give me my wing commander campaign already

ToTTenTranz, Lightman, pharma and 2 others like this.
  16. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

17. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

More importantly, why is "pooping" on the list as a promised feature? Was this a Kickstarter stretch goal that passed me by?

imerso and Alexko like this.
  18. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

https://starcitizentracker.github.io/faq/
    We attach a date to every item, if more than a 3 years have passed without testable progress, the expectation will automatically be labeled ‘Stagnant’

imerso, BRiT and Alexko like this.
  19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

The real question is, does the pooping feature become stagnant faster?

imerso likes this.
  20. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Depends on the planet's atmosphere.

imerso likes this.