Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

No, do not do it directly. They sell a beacon or a probe. This probe protects a 4x4km area from encroachment with the help of the UEE Forces. But the player has to mark the area. I like this possibility.In general, individual moons offer areas of millions of square kilometers. That should not hit the average player and it works only for UEE space.

Looked at the Hammerhead on their page because a mate of mine loves it (but he's not gonna buy it because...well, lol, just look at the price), and for charging such a crazy amount of real-world money - over $600 - there's a fantastically tiny amount of information given out on what exactly you're buying. There's almost no technical stats on the ship at all, other than some basic dimensions. That it has six weapons turrets you have to eyeball by looking at the screenshots, even though this is a warship there's no list of armaments at all. Also not mentioned: which turrets are/can be manned and which are computer controlled.

There's no speed, range, armor or shield strength stats (if applicable) that I can see. There's no crew capacity/requirements mentioned, no data on the hangar or what fits into it, cargo capacity, nothing. There's basically no fucking interior screenshots (like, two total for a ship that's 100m long), or basically any screenshots worth a damn at all. No straight-on dorsal side images, straight from front, side, rear etc. It's all really shitty and amateurishly made even though the actual website design is nice. Interesting dichotomy there, but also very frustrating.

They talked 10 minutes about it:

FINISH THE FUCKING GAME FIRST SO THOSE WHO HAVE PAID FOR IT MANY YEARS AGO NOW CAN PLAY IT. THEN ENLARGE IT.

Or refund.

Then they have to do much more in the end. Another space game has a really slow development once there is a base product ist hard to change everything again. Players want a universe. CIG builds tools to generate cities, stations, landing areas etc. procedurally with Artist control.

See 33:25:

There a alot of people who support the development because they wanted this game since they were kids.

Last edited:
CIG's newest scam is to sell virtual land with real money that buyers will maybe one day who knows have access to it (or not).

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you manage to get a refund?

It was a month or so ago but I just opened a ticket. I had a standard "look all the amazing stuff we've done, please stay" reply. Said no thanks, since none of it's related to SQ42. All very smooth and cordial, but then I'm not really worth anything much to them. :) Also, I'm in the UK. For now at least, our consumer protection laws are ok.

I still might buy SQ42 down the line if it's any good. I might even buy into the PU down the line if it's any good.

No money from me until they have competent gameplay in the hand of players, rather than graphics demos.

I can not understand the excitement. No matter if it's ships, concepts or land is does not matter. The basic idea remains the same. We donate money which helps to get a game at some day. Players who are interested can be there with a very cheaply deposit of a a donation where they also get a small ship. Every USD/Euro of extra investment is just a voluntary or a larger donation. And complaining persons who donated even more after the first shifts etc. are in reality annoyed about their own naivety.

I do not like everything they are doing and I also donated a little more to the dream. But even if tomorrow all is gone then that's just the way.

CIG needs the money because the current fixed costs must be gigantic thats why they can come up with some ideas which are amazingly successful even with me. But it is and remains a donation for the own dream of a hopefully great game. My investments in speculative investments are always written down to 0 in my head. If I do not want or can not I'll leave it the same.

It doesn't really matter whether they deliver a good game at this point, they are abusing people with addictive personalities to a ridiculous extent.

Should be called whale hunter.

I think this is now being supported by people who:

- Are too proud to admit it has become a scam, so they feed the train hoping that throwing more money will eventually make them right

- Fools who think this will become the next EVE Online and all their spending will be overvalued in the future so they can actually make money out of this

but thats the problem the more money they get the bigger they make the game, if people stopped giving them money they would have to finish the game.

Do they have a game to finish though?
Stopping the income could lead to one of two things:

1 - They wrap up and finish SQ42 to get legitimate sales revenue that could fund The Dream

2 - The house of cards finally falls and they'll blame the fact that people stopped giving them money to feature creep even more finish the game they promised 5 years ago.

Which one do you think is more likely?
Mark Hamill was doing motion capture for the game over 2 years ago. From what I know, the time between finishing MoCap (which is usually just a couple of months long at most) and launching the game isn't more than a year. If there's no SQ42 by now, it means there's no game to wrap up .
They've gone radio silent about SQ42 for how long? 8 months or something?

CIG needs the money because the current fixed costs must be gigantic thats why they can come up with some ideas which are amazingly successful even with me.
And that's the problem. They're attempting to build the equivalent of World of Warcraft with all of its expansions and new game systems implemented since launch all at the same time; it's...not a very efficient way of going about things. Like, nothing is actually finished right now, after how many years? Oh, other than expensive ships, which whales can buy - totally not surprised there.

The problem with working on everything all at once is that when you keep adding and adding things you have to go back and rip up code you already wrote in multiple places to accommodate the new stuff. Nothing will ever get done that way. This is why feature creep is some epically bad shit, like, you had a friggin boss monster in Diablo II (this is a turn of the millennium game, so a long time ago now) called "Creeping Feature", simply because the game devs themselves acknowledged what a bad idea feature creep is and manifested it with a monster players could kill.

And here we are in 2017 and Star Citizen itself is now the very manifestation of feature creep. Basically every update Roberts releases we hear of some new fantastic mindblowing idea he's putting into the game. STOP, okay? Just...stop. Finish what you've started already! You're several years overdue right now, nobody who has paid money thus far wants to see it becoming many years overdue. We're down to a situation where version 3.0 of the game - which we might maybe get this year, maybe we won't - is alpha-level quality with all the bugs and missing functionality expected of that, and actual release is still as far away as the stars, with no timetable of how we'll get there, especially if the new features which nobody asked or paid for keep rolling in.

It does feel like they are trying to build a competitor to Eve Online and all that it offers while importantly also putting into it a complex content-story that is integral, but the problem is they should launch a complete foundation game 1st and evolve from there like Eve does.

Sadly I think Star Citizen will go bankrupt before they ever launch a complete game, as they are trying to run and leap without that basic complete ecosystem to build upon.
For now it seems to solidify the conclusion that Star Citizen is more about keeping everyone in work doing something they love with a never-ending scope project in perpetuity, until that is the budget is gone.

The money pumped into this project is eye watering and I would say that is without the infrastructure fully in place (performance-latency-scaling), but then they should look at how Eve Online grew (also over the years has incredibly high costs).
I think Elite Dangerous had the right approach, but then you can tell they had a goal and scope for what their product should be at launch and how to evolve afterwards.

Sadly I think Star Citizen will go bankrupt before they ever launch a complete game, as they are trying to run and leap without that basic complete ecosystem to build upon.
Or they eventually do launch with an incredibly un-fun, unbalanced economy/gameplay & becomes an empty pay-to-win ganking hell-hole quicker than an EA Battlefront.

Or they eventually do launch with an incredibly un-fun, unbalanced economy/gameplay & becomes an empty pay-to-win ganking hell-hole quicker than an EA Battlefront.

CIG wants to do exactly the opposite of what he is talking:

It will definitely be an extreme change to other modern Ego-Shooters with the exeption of Far Cry (singeplayer).

Feature creep : checked
Lack of focus : checked
Bloated team : checked
Sponsor holds a ever-changing vision never clear to the team : checked
SAP : not checked

That's a 4 on 5 on the "Dooooooomed IT project" scale

"I dreamed a dream in time gone by,
When hope was high
And life worth living.
I dreamed that love would never die.
I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Then I was young and unafraid,
And dreams were made and used and wasted.
There was no ransom to be paid,
No song unsung, no wine untasted."

Anyway I backed the game during kickstarter. The original vision was amazing and they should have been able to nail it and ship it in 2015 easily. The problem was they said they got enough money to do wht they wanted and were really close to not needing any outside money with strings attached. So the community kept funding to get to that goal but then we kept going and with that they stoped delivering and went back on promises to make even moer money.

The original dream would have been awsome and they could have been readying an FPS expansion for 2018 and we could have been waiting on the second set of SQ42 missions . But no Chris failed in hollywood and came running back here to use his past fame to make another go at the Hollywood fame. Maybe MS will buy him out again and get the game out. one could hope and the xbox one x could run this decently

With the unpredictably prolonged development, I imagine they are also reworking older efforts to keep everything up to date and homogenous. Though it seems like they have thrown away early content to some degree anyway. With those abandoned modules from years ago.

And while I wonder why SQ42 wasn't a priority to get finished, I also know the demos of the hangar and the space combat I tried years ago were amateurish and terrible, and would have been a disaster as a product.

I haven't been keeping up on it in the last year but yeah still no SQ42 on the radar.

Last edited:
And while I wonder why SQ42 wasn't a priority to get finished, I also know the demos of the hangar and the space combat I tried years ago were amateurish and terrible, and would have been a disaster as a product.
I assume because apart from the game price, there's no recurring income from it.

CIG wants to do exactly the opposite of what he is talking:
Yeah, right we know how much Chris Roberts hates cimematics and why the hell is he motion capturing mark hamil
It will definitely be an extreme change to other modern Ego-Shooters
wait, what! it's supposed to be a space sim

I should do a post entitled "A list of jupiters lies and gross over exaggerations about star citizen"

Last edited:
With the unpredictably prolonged development, I imagine they are also reworking older efforts to keep everything up to date and homogenous. Though it seems like they have thrown away early content to some degree anyway. With those abandoned modules from years ago.

I haven't been keeping up on it in the last year but yeah still no SQ42 on the radar.
Logically I think several aspects of SQ42 development pipeline must have stalled due to basic game systems and game mechanics needing to be finished 1st.
Eg AI and their procedural animation systems needed to be finished. Item 2.0 needed to be finished, their door system needed to be finished, various aspects of ship systems need to be finished, etc

Yeah, right we know how much Chris Roberts hates cimematics and why the hell is he motion capturing mark hamil

There wont be many cinematics 90% of 20 hours of performance capture will be in scenes were the player has the control over his character. Thats something just a few AAA games have done.

I should do a post entitled "A list of jupiters lies and gross over exaggerations about star citizen"

Its a first person game with space and ground combat.

Logically I think several aspects of SQ42 development pipeline must have stalled due to basic game systems and game mechanics needing to be finished 1st.
Eg AI and their procedural animation systems needed to be finished. Item 2.0 needed to be finished, their door system needed to be finished, various aspects of ship systems need to be finished, etc

Exactly these are all very important components. They could build a bad single player campaign like the one from BATTLEFRONT II easily.

Many others and me want a game like Prey 2 and Far Cry with space combat, epic moments and interaction possibilities with characters.

Hopefully they show a lot in the holiday live stream.

Last edited:
Back