Spore coming to consoles (Wii most likely)?

pipo

Veteran
http://news.spong.com/article/10495

Speaking exclusively to SPOnG, Sims creator and quiet legend Will Wright has pointed towards Nintendo's Wii console as a likely host for his upcoming mega-game Spore, with the unique controller giving the famed developer an inspirational shot in the arm.

"We’re looking at all the platforms for Spore, because we’re thinking about Spore as a franchise, not as a PC game. We’re going to do the PC game first, but really, what we’re trying to launch is an entire franchise that will be all across platforms," Wright told us when we caught up with him in San Francisco recently.

"It will probably take very different forms depending on the platforms. We might even pull out parts of the game – so you might be playing part of the game on a handheld platform, you might be playing the entire game but maybe more avatar-based on a console. The consoles are getting kind of different now – I think there’s a really interesting distinction between the Wii and the Xbox 360 and PS3. Something like the Wii offers a lot of interesting creative opportunities for the editors, with the controller."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds awesome, I'm looking forward to Spore.

If Will Wright takes a liking to the Wii then that's another great thing for Nintendo.

Will Wright makes some great games that have tons of depth but are easy to access and easy for your average person to get into. Wright also likes control, and the Wii offers him the best way to control a game (IMO) and one that is very close to the PC's mouse.

I could certainly see this working out. Afterall, Wright's games and the Wii are going for the same market........ everybody.

Except it's not likely to be Spore, in the same way GTA on mobile phones isn't GTA on the console - He's talking about franchising the IP, rather than porting the game and gameplay
"We’re looking at all the platforms for Spore, because we’re thinking about Spore as a franchise, not as a PC game. We’re going to do the PC game first, but really, what we’re trying to launch is an entire franchise that will be all across platforms," Wright told us when we caught up with him in San Francisco recently.

"It will probably take very different forms depending on the platforms.
If you want to play Spore as is, get the PC version. What appears on consoles might end up being quite different

I dont know. Maybe on the PS3 and Xbox 360, but the Wii would actually allow you the same exact control as the PC version. It'd be extremely easy to port from a controlls stand point.

Spong tend to post absolutely anything regardless. An interview with a named person is obviosuly more reliable than an unnamed rumour and occassionally you'll find such info amongst the other random spoutings.

Back