*spin-off* Power issues and... New Zealand.

zed

Legend
After 5 powercuts (for a sec each) last night im thinking more seriously of a ps3. Since I have no tv thus watch all films through the PC, rebooting a pc is a hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zed,

Powercuts - you just need a cheap UPS - with a battery that keeps you up for a few minutes at most. I Have UPS's on all my stuff, Xbox 360, PC's etc. Now on my work PC I have a serious UPS that keeps me up for 4 hours but rest just to handle blips like you mentioned.

On a related note
After 5 powercuts (for a sec each) last night im thinking more seriously of a ps3. Since I have no tv thus watch all films through the PC, rebooting a pc is a hassle.
Is it possible to rip dvd's from the ps3 to the ps3 HD to watch later?

Do what I do, invest in a quality UPS. While not as frequent as you, I get those little brownouts about once every two months or so. Prior to getting a UPS, it would result in the computer either shutting down or rebooting (depending on how I had the BIOS setup). Since then, the only thing that happens now is my displays go off then back on (don't have them plugged into the UPS). But don't have to worry about rebooting the computer or losing data (/shudder).

Regards,
SB

cheers guys thats all very useful info

WRT a UPS would something like this be ok
from the spec sheet it seems to handle ~8mins without power, I assume it handles powersurges etc (though Ive never had an equipment destroyed cause of one of those but theres always a first)
http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4ba11d3d0ae3fc7a273fc0a87f3b0718/Product/View/M7692

I assume with the external HD Ive gotta rip from the PC to that HD?, part of the reason I want a ps3 is for the blu-ray (i.e. being able to rip from blu-ray to HD to watch later would be nice but I suppose I could live without it)

Zed, what part of New Zealand do you live that has such bad power?!
Name the top3 places everyone wants to live in nz (well its one of those ) continuation of residential supply aint something kiwis are renowned for. NZ is a strange country its like the last major land mass to be settled by humans oz next door has had ppl for 30,000 years nz only 800 years, in respects its like a 3rd world country but without the population density or history or infrastructure

The Shire?
:) well I 'm hoping to be in the hobbit film as an extra, I had the chance in LOTR but werent bothered at the time, this time though! hell why not

Name the top3 places everyone wants to live in nz (well its one of those ) continuation of residential supply aint something kiwis are renowned for. NZ is a strange country its like the last major land mass to be settled by humans oz next door has had ppl for 30,000 years nz only 800 years, in respects its like a 3rd world country but without the population density or history or infrastructure

Im a New Zealander too! I haven't had a power cut here for over 2 years. :p

Oh and we do like calling ourselves a 3rd world country. Its what motivates us to get off our collective butts.

Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane? :)
I cant see the attraction of melbourne, but yes there are half a million kiwis living in oz :), mainly due to the fact pay rates are ~30% better there for the same job. Blame roger douglas for this fact. Before he was in charge of the economy, wages were equal in the two countries, so what did they do with this incompetent, put him in jail perhaps? no they gave him a knighthood, hes now Sir Roger Douglas.
WRT film dvd's, the movies consist of multiple 1GB files so way under the limit

I cant see the attraction of melbourne, but yes there are half a million kiwis living in oz :), mainly due to the fact pay rates are ~30% better there for the same job. Blame roger douglas for this fact. Before he was in charge of the economy, wages were equal in the two countries, so what did they do with this incompetent, put him in jail perhaps? no they gave him a knighthood, hes now Sir Roger Douglas.
WRT film dvd's, the movies consist of multiple 1GB files so way under the limit

Hey I live in and love Adelaide, so I can't see the attraction of any of them :)

Seeing as we have a couple of New Zealanders in the office I couldn't resist the dig :)

Hey I live in and love Adelaide, so I can't see the attraction of any of them :)

Seeing as we have a couple of New Zealanders in the office I couldn't resist the dig :)
getting offtopic. from the oz vs nz cricket yesterday
bah the TAB wont pay up my bet yesterday, just refund it (top 3 oz batters score less than 260.5 runs)

anyways the reason I post is these excellant series of photos made me laugh
http://static.stuff.co.nz/1268960792/602/3476602.jpg
http://static.stuff.co.nz/1268960762/597/3476597.jpg
http://static.stuff.co.nz/1268960672/595/3476595.jpg
http://static.stuff.co.nz/1268960632/590/3476590.jpg
here he is running down the street, his clothes are back in the stadium what did he do next?
catch a bus home?

I havent streaked in public for nearly 2 years, I must be getting old! Hell even last week I went for a swim with pants on, mainly due to I was swimming out ~1km and sharks have recently been spotted nearby, (insert humorous line about sharks preying on moray eels)

Hard to discuss electricity in NZ without going to the banned topic of politics.
Its well past time to Bring Back [strike]Buck[/strike] ECNZ I say.

On the other hand, at least the 'competing' (to see who can raise prices quickest/spend most on executives/marketing?) companies seem to agree that Nuclear is no option for future generation here :)
I read a recent report by one of them suggesting options for the future of the market which quoted generation costs of different sources.
The cost of Nuclear generation was listed about 2* the cost of the next most expensive (Oil generation) -> dismissed as utterly uneconomic & that was without including plant decommissioning & waste storage costs.

* looks at zed's third pic *
I think that's the first time I've seen such a huge penis censored.
actually come to think of it, that might of been me

The cost of Nuclear generation was listed about 2* the cost of the next most expensive (Oil generation) -> dismissed as utterly uneconomic & that was without including plant decommissioning & waste storage costs.
yes the only way nuclear is economically viable is the have a government subsidy of ~10c per kilowatt hr or something

the ECNZ saga is a good example of deregulating a market and the lie that "the consumer will always win" with the capitalist way

there is a part of the oz constitution from 1905 where nz can join at any time (if they so wish)
Its not gonna happen though, Im for the opposite. NZ should split up into two parts NI / SI.

a merger of the two countries would be a joke, they were talking about this on the radio the other day, due to the large EEZ territorial area each country has, australia the 3rd biggest area in the world and nz the 5th biggest area in the world. yould have ~30million ppl economically controlling a huge chunk of the planet

yes the only way nuclear is economically viable is the have a government subsidy of ~10c per kilowatt hr or something
Why is it so damn expensive there? Regulations? I remember our discussions in another thread where the vast hydro storage resources in NZ make wind a lot cheaper and less dependent on backup power than elsewhere, but I don't see why the nuclear cost should be inflated.

If you offer to pay 10c per kWh guaranteed for 20 years like various gov'ts do for wind, nuclear power companies will be running to your country for construction. A 1000MW plant, at 80% capacity, will take in $14B in revenue during that time and still have another 20 years of life in the plant.

Its not inflated in NZ, its just that everywhere that has nuclear power has massive government subsidies &/or cost of construction, decommissioning & waste storage paid by Government.
Most also have a bunch of associated infrastructure cost hidden away in the military budget for making nukes.

Back