Speed limiters

Well at 160HP I wouldn't expect it to go faster than that, not much anyway. Like people mentioned before it's drag is not the smallest out there. Although your speedo is probaly lying a bit at those speeds, unless you used some other method to measure it.

160 hp...dynoed it and got 143 at the wheel with a 151 lb ft torque. Car is bone stock. I have a GPS sat nav in the car that has a Performance Vehicle Dynamics mode and can measure car speed. I will give that a try tho I am not gonna go 127 mph! I will see at 80 what the gps reports vs the speedo. Mind I did get the new non-stock 18 inch alloys with low profile tires...so that could throw things off the speedo a bit.

Off topic I am getting an intake, engine damper, full catback exhaust and header + s pipe. Expecting a min of 20 hp + boost to the car. I bet it would hit 127 quicker... :p

160 hp...dynoed it and got 143 at the wheel with a 151 lb ft torque. Car is bone stock. I have a GPS sat nav in the car that has a Performance Vehicle Dynamics mode and can measure car speed. I will give that a try tho I am not gonna go 127 mph! I will see at 80 what the gps reports vs the speedo. Mind I did get the new non-stock 18 inch alloys with low profile tires...so that could throw things off the speedo a bit.

Off topic I am getting an intake, engine damper, full catback exhaust and header + s pipe. Expecting a min of 20 hp + boost to the car. I bet it would hit 127 quicker... :p
I would be very interested in that experiment. Wat size are your tyres?

God I love Germany. You wouldn't want to be cought in exceeding the speed limit in Switzerland - with the new laws, you can even face jail time for exceeding it by as little as 45km/h! :rolleyes:

But hey, do you really need more speed than 215km/h? I find driving fast on the autobahn / highway to be one of the most boring things - unless you happen to be in an original Mini doing above 120kmh! Now THAT is adrenaline!! :devilish:

well, Original Minis could do much more than that... for example, Lousiest 1964 Cooper S with 1071ccm engine did as factory stock 144km/h with it's whopping 65hp engine.

1967 Rally / Track Spec'd Cooper S with 1275ccm (only owner knows how close his engine is overbored to 1300ccm to get it classified under 1300ccm.) had much more. The one I have seen and sit on it, was classified for Historic Rally under 1300ccm and had around 100kW from the wheels. With longest final gear you could actually get close to 210km/h.

Anyone interested about how the real Mini Cooper S really performed on it's golden days, should try one in GT Legends. Car is really faithful to real thing and you know that you are about fall in love in Minis when hanging on the Jaguar E-Type's tail after passing Austin Healey 3000 in Donnington Park's fast corners after main straight. (someone here might have seen the legendary Mini rear window sticker: "I eat Jags and Astons as breakfast!" which seems to be quite right especially in twisted tracks.)

aaanyways, Finland used to have roads without speed limits back in early 70's, but another big difference was that back then 4000 ppl lost their lifes in road accidents. Now the same number is under 300. (so, no way that would work here. if someone changes the law that way, I move somewhere mid lappland to cabin few hundred kilometers from nearest road.)

GT Legends and FIA GTR1/2 AWESOME games....nuff said. Cant get enough of that Lamborghini...looks like something Darth Vader would drive. OOh and the Saleen!

160 hp...dynoed it and got 143 at the wheel with a 151 lb ft torque. Car is bone stock.
It could be a happy dyno or 160hp stock is being conservative. For a nominal 160hp at the flywheel I'd expect ~20% driveline losses for a dynoed figure of a bit under 130hp at the driven wheels.

It could be a happy dyno or 160hp stock is being conservative. For a nominal 160hp at the flywheel I'd expect ~20% driveline losses for a dynoed figure of a bit under 130hp at the driven wheels.

Those are the numbers for an automatic. Besides all dynos cant be that wrong. Check out www.scionlife.com for dynos. Stock tC manual makes 142 at the wheel.

I just compared my speed gauge to a GPS, and according to the GPS it's exactly 10% high. So, 215 km/h on the gauge is actually 193 km/h. Hm.

Overclocking wouldn't work at all unfortunately, since it all the code runs in real-time (multitasking with predefined time-slots on OSEK OS). Thus overclocking would fwck up the timings.

I just compared my speed gauge to a GPS, and according to the GPS it's exactly 10% high. So, 215 km/h on the gauge is actually 193 km/h. Hm.
I believe that situation is fairly common. It is safer for the speedometer to report your speed as being higher.

well, Original Minis could do much more than that... for example, Lousiest 1964 Cooper S with 1071ccm engine did as factory stock 144km/h with it's whopping 65hp engine.

whoops, my 1124cc 50HP car does 140km/h. reaching top speed without doing much of a speeding is nice. you know you reach top speed when the steering wheel is shaking and the super efficient car turns into a gas guggler. which partly why I never take the highway.

I tried the gps experiment and weirdly enough it indicated my speedo was spot on! 65 mph on speedo was 65 mph in the gps unit. I am not convinced. Need to read more on that gps unit.

Back