Speed limiters

Well at 160HP I wouldn't expect it to go faster than that, not much anyway. Like people mentioned before it's drag is not the smallest out there. Although your speedo is probaly lying a bit at those speeds, unless you used some other method to measure it.

Well at 160HP I wouldn't expect it to go faster than that, not much anyway. Like people mentioned before it's drag is not the smallest out there. Although your speedo is probaly lying a bit at those speeds, unless you used some other method to measure it.
I tried to do that as good as possible, with all the electronic signs that state your current speed. They are supposed to be accurate. And they agree with my speed gauge.

I doubt that would work. ;)

But it would be really interesting to hack into that program! I might just do that. :D

ECU tuning is quite common in Denmark.
A standard ECU takes into consideration that you don't keep your service, that you run on low grede fuel ect.
But if you keep your service and run on high grade fuel it won't damage the car.

And drag has got nothing to do with your locked speed, it's electronicallly locked, wich also can be unlocked.

And yes, digi, I agree: when I entered the German highway, I was wondering if there was some speed limit there, until I was overtaken by a Mercedes 530i at high speed. :D So, I planked and overtook it, and only had problems with slow cars overtaking while they really should have seen me coming in their mirror after that. ;)
What is the average "fast" cruising velocity on an unlimited speed road like that? I rarely really go over 100mph and then only just to pass, I usually hold about 85mph on the highways.

144mph was my personal fastest, and that wasn't in my car. The most I've had the balls to go up to in the Z so far was 135, but it felt AWFUL f-ing fast and I kept thinking what the cop would say and backed down in a hurry. :oops:

What is the average "fast" cruising velocity on an unlimited speed road like that? I rarely really go over 100mph and then only just to pass, I usually hold about 85mph on the highways.

144mph was my personal fastest, and that wasn't in my car. The most I've had the balls to go up to in the Z so far was 135, but it felt AWFUL f-ing fast and I kept thinking what the cop would say and backed down in a hurry. :oops:

I always go full throttle on the Autobahn.
3rd lane is for +120MHP, don't go in 3rd lane if you only do ~100MHP, you'll be casuing ques ;)

The wind resistance goes up with the square of the speed which means the power required goes up with the cube of the speed. I should think it'd have to be a really steep hill for it to make much difference (and then would you get grip from the tyres?)
True, but gravity adds a constant force, not a constant power. At 130 mph, a 5 degree slope (admittedly fairly steep, but not unreasonable) should give you the equivalent of 90hp at the wheels. Definately enough to notice a huge difference on a car with a 160hp engine, even when you take the cube root.

Either the car is electronically limited or Frank isn't driving on much of a hill. Even a 2 degree slope will have about 60% more force pushing the car downhill vs uphill under equal engine output.

(1350kg * 9.81N/kg * sin(5 deg) * 58 m/s = 67 kW)

It depends on where and when. Four or six lane roads in Germany have no limit unless otherwise specified. When there is heavy traffic, it will be just about the same as everywhere else. And when the traffic is light, most cars (the smaller ones and the trucks) on the right lane go along at that same speed as well. It's expected that people go to the right when a fast car approaches on the left lane. And those go pretty fast, on average.

Unlimted roads would never work in england, you'd never be able to get the old farts doing 60 out the "fast" lane.

Unlimited roads would never work in the UK, you'd never be able to get the twats in their Porsche 911s doing 60 out the "fast" lane regardless of it being rush-hour and they're really not going to be going anywhere because there's another Porsche stopped 300 yards up the road in a traffic jam (behind another Porsche, which is trundling alond in second gear, right behind a lot of other German metal, despite the other two lanes being deserted).

If we could maybe get over the obsession with wedging 60% of our population in to 10% of the land area maybe there'd be more room to move around?

911 drivers always get out of my way. :devilish:

Must be the shame of having a "family" sedan stuck to your exhausts :LOL:

True, but gravity adds a constant force, not a constant power. At 130 mph, a 5 degree slope (admittedly fairly steep, but not unreasonable) should give you the equivalent of 90hp at the wheels. Definately enough to notice a huge difference on a car with a 160hp engine, even when you take the cube root.
Bon Point. I should have thought about it a bit more especially when you factor in the mass of the car!

If we could maybe get over the obsession with wedging 60% of our population in to 10% of the land area maybe there'd be more room to move around?
No! You really don't want the hideous urban sprawl we are getting, say, in Australia.

Most people here drive 100-130 km/h on the freeway, while those who like to drive faster actually can drive 250 km/h or even more (provided there is no lame-ass in front of you driving in the left lane with 100 km/h).

Though places with no speed limits are getting rare as of late...

God I love Germany. You wouldn't want to be cought in exceeding the speed limit in Switzerland - with the new laws, you can even face jail time for exceeding it by as little as 45km/h! :rolleyes:

But hey, do you really need more speed than 215km/h? I find driving fast on the autobahn / highway to be one of the most boring things - unless you happen to be in an original Mini doing above 120kmh! Now THAT is adrenaline!! :devilish:

Yes, going 130 in an old army Jeep (no doors, roof or seatbelts) feels much faster.

Ateo said:
A standard ECU takes into consideration that you don't keep your service, that you run on low grede fuel ect.
But if you keep your service and run on high grade fuel it won't damage the car.

And drag has got nothing to do with your locked speed, it's electronicallly locked, wich also can be unlocked.
Yep, most newer passenger cars have speed/rev limit set in the ECU/ECM that usually retard spark/cut fuel supply. Also, not every engine is identical, so a LCD factory tune makes sense. You'll also find that for a particular generation of engine the manufacturer likes to improve the specs for every new year's model, so there is always some performance left in reserve. A custom dyno tune for high octane fuel can yield substantial power gains.

_xxx_ said:
Though places with no speed limits are getting rare as of late...
I had the opportunity to drive a 6.0l LS2 V8 powered car in a no speed limit zone late last year. I backed off at 155mph/250kph. I seemed to be running out of bitumen... Too bad I didn't have an exoticar...

A single ride with a pro on the real race track (Nürburgring) with one of our older prototype vehicles "healed" me from enjoying speed. Man, did I shit my pants there! :LOL:

I rarely drive above 140-150 km/h now.

Back