Special techniques possibles with 8GB of RAM

I have some serious questions for the more tech minded here. So Killzone Shadow Fall's campaign development is finished and between now and launch GG should have a good 6months time for the refinement. Now that they have 4gigs extra GDDR5 ram to play with, may I inquire the tech guys and devs here what kind of results can we expect from the new found resource? Would they have enough time to actually utilize the memory on higher texture res, bigger levels, more shaders etc or is that process too late now? Is it possible to see results instantly?

Carmack wanted lots of RAM for megatexturing and EPIC for Voxel rendering ( maybe they will go back to it now?). What other techniques and algorithms are possible with such huge amount of RAM?.
From the top of my head i would say deferred rendering engines will also be result favored. No question why DICE are also very happy with PS4.

Jon Olick showed a next-gen id Tech demo where just one character took up 1gig of ram.

well, 10 years ago, parsing a 2mb xml file with java took >1Gig. Just because it can be made so, it doesnt seems its worth it.
I cant imaginge wasting 1Gb on a character is worth it (for the supposed improvement), except if maybe 800MB of it goes to a fully interactive mustache where you can pick up indiviual hairs!

That's just pushing RAM for the sake of pushing RAM.. you'd never actually need anywhere near that much in-game, and you could easily optimize it to use a fraction of that and look exactly the same to the user.

...Hmm, when do these characters get time to shave...Maybe Drake will be sporting a full on beard by the end of the next game. Hell they can even let us use Move to shave him how we w....Yeah nevermind.

Back