Source Engine 2 - Dota2

I don't think so. We all know valve no longer releases new games, so what use would they have of a new engine? :p

I don't think so. We all know valve no longer releases new games, so what use would they have of a new engine? :p

I wouldn't be shocked at the possibility that all new iterations of the Source engine will only be used for updating the ever-popular DOTA2 graphics, just like the WoW engine updates.

Everything is pointing to Valve turning exclusively into Steam technical support and bean counters.
4 years ago, I would have said this as a joke. I don't say it now.

I wouldn't be shocked at the possibility that all new iterations of the Source engine will only be used for updating the ever-popular DOTA2 graphics, just like the WoW engine updates.

Everything is pointing to Valve turning exclusively into Steam technical support and bean counters.
4 years ago, I would have said this as a joke. I don't say it now.

That's a bit harsh, DOTA2 is a huge game.

That's a bit harsh, DOTA2 is a huge game.

The community made DOTA2 huge. Not Valve.
Valve licensed the name, paid IceFrog to keep doing what he had been doing for over 10 years and ported it to Source engine.
All the rest was tech support, marketing and distribution.

Don't count DOTA2 as a game developed by Valve.

The community made DOTA2 huge. Not Valve.
Valve licensed the name, paid IceFrog to keep doing what he had been doing for over 10 years and ported it to Source engine.
All the rest was tech support, marketing and distribution.

Don't count DOTA2 as a game developed by Valve.

Wtf are you taking about?

For someone who played both extensively, valve basically gave dota1 players their gaming wet dream and continue to evolve the product at a rapid rate.

For someone who played both extensively, valve basically gave dota1 players their gaming wet dream and continue to evolve the product at a rapid rate.

My statement was:
Where did I suggest that Valve doesn't contribute to DOTA2?
Just don't count DOTA2 as a release from Valve's development teams. After the release, its subsequent evolution comes from the DOTA community members they hired.

Unless you think that people like Joshua Weier are working on DOTA2 maps and items, my point is that they haven't launched anything meaningful in over 3 years. Global Offensive is but a glorified port of CS:S.

Back