Sony's profit nosedived by 98%, yes, NINETY EIGHT PER CENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe because of the fact that you don't hear people running around saying "My Samsung TV has just died!" all of the time. In fact, it's more provable that there are more "nightmare stories" from owners of Sony televisions.

But hey, why don't you pick up a Samsung set for yourself and see if it dies. Come back with a detailed report when it does. I don't expect to see this report however.

That's not a good representation either, DK. Frankly, one needs to use some extensive market research, or at least let companies like Consumer Reports do in-depth testing over a long period of time with their usual comparative base... just to get out of "pure conjecture."

Well, Paul's little "stereotype" of Samsung sets is based only on his experience with it. He wants to immediately say that they make terrible TV's that crap out based solely on his experience. That's simply not the right thing to do. In fact, the majority of problems that people may run into with any kind of TV are just flukes and fall into the category of "shit happens". Unless it's a widely spread or talked about problem (for example: problems with Sony's WEGA CRT's like pink lines, uncorrectable geometry problems, or complete crap outs) then it's really not an issue.

Well, Paul's little "stereotype" of Samsung sets is based only on his experience with it. He wants to immediately say that they make terrible TV's that crap out based solely on his experience. That's simply not the right thing to do. In fact, the majority of problems that people may run into with any kind of TV are just flukes and fall into the category of "shit happens".

Stop trying to defend your EDTV. Fluke? My ass, when two tv's fail of a same problem in two years it's a little more than a fluke, it goes to show how good the company is at making TV's in general. Also goes to show you how much they actually tested the TV's for the market to begin with.

Two tv's shit out in two years and what do you want me to say? That they are incredible TV's? Hell no, they suck because I've had them. What would you want someone to think?

The average person saying their tv's rock and the average review is based off of the person having the TV for less than a year. No "flukes" happen in two years, flukes generally appear within a very short time of you owning the TV. None of the reviews you see are from people having a certain tv for 2+ years, more like a week.

Just don't be surprised when your edtv shits out in a few years.

ROFL!

Keep reaching Paul. Show me some more cases of Samsung sets crapping out in two years time and I'd be more inclined to believe you. The fact is is that you can't. It's YOUR EXPERIENCE. THAT'S IT!!! Nothing more. Your experience doesn't dictate the quality of the company nor the quality of the television line. Period.

What's even funnier is that you purchased relatively cheap television sets and then probably left them in torch mode (which severely reduces the lifespan of a TV). It most likely amplified whatever issue that your two sets happened to have.

Shit happens Paul. I think you need to come to terms with that. Instead you cop out and blame the company behind it and try to mar their reputation. It's a typical consumer reaction. You don't have much evidence to support your position other than your own experience. It's far from something like a past class-action suit against Sony for a certain DVD player that crapped out after the warranty had expired for every consumer who bought one.

In a few years time I'll be laughing at you along with the many others who are enjoying their TXM/TXN line TV's from Samsung. So you go run along and avoid Samsung sets all you like. Just don't run your mouth about how Samsung "sucks" because you (... just you) happened to have two cheaper sets die on you after a couple years time.

Keep reaching Paul. Show me some more cases of Samsung sets crapping out in two years time and I'd be more inclined to believe you. The fact is is that you can't. It's YOUR EXPERIENCE. THAT'S IT!!! Nothing more. Your experience doesn't dictate the quality of the company nor the quality of the television line. Period.

Oh and let me guess, your experience does matter and dictate the quality of the company? Get real, and grow up, realize that the company in which you invested in isn't perfect. And has some quality control problems they need to adress. I wonder how they can let such shitty parts go into TV's?

What's even funnier is that you purchased relatively cheap television sets and then probably left them in torch mode (which severely reduces the lifespan of a TV). It most likely amplified whatever issue that your two sets happened to have.

Oh so just because a company releases a cheaper television gives them the justification of not running it through quality control and making sure that the thing can last 5 years without breaking? How odd, because I have a 12 year old Mitsubishi set that works just fine.

And now your trying to blame the problem on me rather than the company which you are seemingly in bed with? I declare bullshit. I take great care of my electronics and no I didn't leave them in "torch mode". They just sometimes would not want to turn on, sometimes working for weeks at a time than not working. This cycle kept on until they finaly gave up and went to TV heaven.

No the set's didn't have an "issue", again your trying to blame the problem on a fluke other than a problem at the company. If it were a fluke the TV's would have had the problem within the first month and I would have returned them.

Shit happens Paul.

Yea, and shit wouldn't have had to happen if the company had a little better quality control and cared about their products more.

I think you need to come to terms with that. Instead you cop out and blame the company behind it and try to mar their reputation.

It IS the companies fault for releasing such a shitty television that couldn't have went through 30 minutes of quality control. And so your telling me I should keep quiet and not say anything about this company? What is the point in that, if someone is looking at Samsung tv's that I know, I am sure as hell going to tell them what happened to mine.

It's a typical consumer reaction.

Staying away from a company when two of their products fail on you in 2 years? Yea, everyone would do the same.

You don't have much evidence to support your position other than your own experience.

And let me guess.. you do? What's more, your probably going to gather up a bunch of reviews from people who had the TV for a month with them saying they are great. The TV's I had were great in picture and decent in sound, they just shit out in two years.

It's far from something like a past class-action suit against Sony for a certain DVD player that crapped out after the warranty had expired for every consumer who bought one.

Speaking of Xbox, why is it that I, and alot of friends are having the ever seemingly common DDE problem on brand new games? Should I break out that 3 year warranty?

So you go run along and avoid Samsung sets all you like. Just don't run your mouth about how Samsung "sucks" because you (... just you) happened to have two cheaper sets die on you after a couple years time.

Just me? LMAO, how about the thousands of others who bought the same set maybe in different sizes than I did around the world? Yes, the set was of such good price that it was sold out for a while that I had to wait two weeks for the store to get them in.

Oh and it was 2 years, not a couple. Again loving how you are trying to downplay the situation. Have fun with with your Samsung, Just don't expect it to make it past 5 years.

I even SAID in my experience, and you go along and make sure it's clarified and flip out about it. What's the matter? Scared your new tv might die?

Oh and let me guess, your experience does matter and dictate the quality of the company? Get real, and grow up, realize that the company in which you invested in isn't perfect. And has some quality control problems they need to adress. I wonder how they can let such shitty parts go into TV's?
No, it's not my experience. It's the experience of need I say thousands of other individuals who have purchased Samsung sets and haven't had it crap out on them. I find it humorous that you can say that Samsung has quality control problems based solely on your experience with the two sets. Now, there would be a quality control problem if thousands upon thousands of sets they have produced decided to all go down the same path, yet you haven't proven that nor can you (because it simply hasn't happened).
Oh so just because a company releases a cheaper television gives them the justification of not running it through quality control and making sure that the thing can last 5 years without breaking? How odd, because I have a 12 year old Mitsubishi set that works just fine.
It's not justification. Have you ever heard of the phrase "You get what you pay for"? That tends to hold up in most situations. Guess what though... I had someone tell me they had a Samsung set that's lasted them over 5 years and it's still going. I guess that debunks your outlandish claims since you like to stereotype based solely on a single person's experience.
And now your trying to blame the problem on me rather than the company which you are seemingly in bed with? I declare bullshit. I take great care of my electronics and no I didn't leave them in "torch mode". They just sometimes would not want to turn on, sometimes working for weeks at a time than not working. This cycle kept on until they finaly gave up and went to TV heaven.
So you turned down the brightness, contrast, and sharpness to proper levels with a calibration disc? Good for you.
No the set's didn't have an "issue", again your trying to blame the problem on a fluke other than a problem at the company. If it were a fluke the TV's would have had the problem within the first month and I would have returned them.
So there's a problem at the company based on the fact that you happened to have two sets die on you... that's great. So how about coughing up some proof of others in your same situation.
Yea, and shit wouldn't have had to happen if the company had a little better quality control and cared about their products more.
They'd be getting flak from far more individuals if this was the case. Hey look, they aren't.
It IS the companies fault for releasing such a shitty television that couldn't have went through 30 minutes of quality control. And so your telling me I should keep quiet and not say anything about this company? What is the point in that, if someone is looking at Samsung tv's that I know, I am sure as hell going to tell them what happened to mine.
And if they're an educated consumer they'll listen to your advice and weigh it against the positives. Looks like your little tirade against Samsung isn't going to go far.
Staying away from a company when two of their products fail on you in 2 years? Yea, everyone would do the same.
Everyone meaning the small amount of people that actually run into these kinds of problems from any company. That's not what I'm blaming you for. I'm blaming you for your baseless accusations that Samsung sucks because two sets died on you, but you have no further evidence past your own situation.
And let me guess.. you do? What's more, your probably going to gather up a bunch of reviews from people who had the TV for a month with them saying they are great. The TV's I had were great in picture and decent in sound, they just shit out in two years.
I don't have to. I think the lack of criticism or lack of many "nightmare stories" similar to yours speaks loud enough.
Speaking of Xbox, why is it that I, and alot of friends are having the ever seemingly common DDE problem on brand new games? Should I break out that 3 year warranty?
Do you have a launch Xbox? Do you have the first Thomson DVD drives? There's a known problem with a large batch of them and M$ has acknowledged this problem both by having Thomson revise the drive (the newer ones work flawlessly) and by fixing Xbox's that were in this batch for free. Kind of contrasts quite a bit with Sony's DVD player situation where they didn't want to acknowledge there was a problem and they didn't want to do anything about it. That's why there was a class-action suit against them.
Just me? LMAO, how about the thousands of others who bought the same set maybe in different sizes than I did around the world? Yes, the set was of such good price that it was sold out for a while that I had to wait two weeks for the store to get them in.
What about them? Do you know their sets died as well? Did Samsung acknowledge or document these "problems" with the sets as a major issue? Probably not because there is no issue. I guarantee you there are people with similar situations such as yourself concerning products from whordes of other companies. I bet they feel the same way you do, but that doesn't give them jurisdiction to proclaim that the company sucks and have people actually believe them.
Oh and it was 2 years, not a couple. Again loving how you are trying to downplay the situation. Have fun with with your Samsung, Just don't expect it to make it past 5 years.
"Couple" is 2. I thoroughly expect my set to last that long, and even longer (having it properly calibrated also extends the life quite a bit). However, I doubt I'll have the set for 5 years since I will most likely have upgraded to something larger.
I even SAID in my experience, and you go along and make sure it's clarified and flip out about it. What's the matter? Scared your new tv might die?
It's fine and dandy to explain your situation and say that you're steering clear of Samsung because of it. What isn't fine is when you make false accusations. I've heard a lot of people proclaim that Sony sucks. I myself wouldn't go that far, but I do know they have a number of issues with the quality of their electronics in certain categories that happen to be widespread problems. I'm not scared at all about my investment. I think the problem here is you're trying a bit too hard with your uprising against Samsung when you don't have much of a base to start with.

I think that about wraps it up.

No, it's not my experience. It's the experience of need I say thousands of other individuals who have purchased Samsung sets and haven't had it crap out on them.

You talk about me not having proof?

It's not justification. Have you ever heard of the phrase "You get what you pay for"? That tends to hold up in most situations. Guess what though... I had someone tell me they had a Samsung set that's lasted them over 5 years and it's still going. I guess that debunks your outlandish claims since you like to stereotype based solely on a single person's experience.

Me having outlandish claims? This was outlandish?

They make good TV's, that fail after a short amount of time. Unless maybe, they got their act together.

So you turned down the brightness, contrast, and sharpness to proper levels with a calibration disc? Good for you.

This has nothing to do with a TV set not wanting to turn on.

So there's a problem at the company based on the fact that you happened to have two sets die on you... that's great. So how about coughing up some proof of others in your same situation.

There is a problem at the company if the same set dies of the same problem in two years, both of them lasted two years. I doubt it's "just me" as you seem to put it.

They'd be getting flak from far more individuals if this was the case. Hey look, they aren't.

How do you know they aren't? Just because it's not on the internet doesn't mean there is no problem.

And if they're an educated consumer they'll listen to your advice and weigh it against the positives. Looks like your little tirade against Samsung isn't going to go far.

Your the one who turned it into a tirade, all I said was that they make terrible TV's in my experience and that their TV's fail. Which was exactly what I encountered so why would I say otherwise? But oh no, you had to take it as a personal insult and go buck.

I'm blaming you for your baseless accusations that Samsung sucks because two sets died on you, but you have no further evidence past your own situation.

I never said Samsung sucks, I said their tv's suck. I like samsung memory and their Cell phones.

I don't have to. I think the lack of criticism or lack of many "nightmare stories" similar to yours speaks loud enough.

Just because it isn't on the internet doesn't mean it didn't happen. I point to the thousands of others who bought the same I had who obviously had the same problem in 2-3 years.

Do you have a launch Xbox?

Nope, I bought it for x-mas came with jsrf and sega GT.

Yes, it has the shitty thomson drive in it. I want the Samsung drive(I do like samsungs optical drives) as it sounds like the best drive for the Xbox.

Oh and Sony has been fixing ps2's with DRE's free for a while now.

Probably not because there is no issue.

That set in general was screwed, no way in hell I just got un-lucky and recieved both sets both a year apart and they died of the same problem in two years and this was a coincidence.

Just no way, the lagistics of it are imposible. I know for a fact others with the same set had the same problem.

I'm not going on a uprising, I simply stated my opinion and you just took it a little too personal is all. If I think Samsung tv's suck based on my experience what business is that of you? Why do you even care? If someone doesn't buy that new samsung HDTV because of me why would you even give a damn?

You have your EDTV and from what it looks like your happy, so who cares?
[/i]

Wow, this bit exploded in just a short time. ;) And no, DK, I have absolutely no reservations saying Paul was MORE wrong, I just didn't want you going down wrong paths either. Hehe...

I've had this arguement SO MANY times with so many people. Frankly, personal experience means absolute crap on any large scale. There are is a combination of so any elements that COULD be going on, you'd have absolutely no way to tell anything whatsoever.

Was there a flaw in the product line? Was there improper shipping at any of the dozen or so stages? Was it messed with in the warhouse? Was a store repacking returned items, or selling display models that have been abused for months first? Was a store buying "new" sets that were turned around at the warehouse side, getting tricked themselves? ...is it just bad frickin' luck?

I said it before with my earlier statement: I've had problems with two nVidia cards in (both serious and crippling in some ways). Is nVidia a rotten company? A friend of mine swears off ATI because he had problems with a Rage 128 and a Radeon 32 DDR (both less critical than mine, though, an both from the age of more rotten drivers that they've gotten long past but he doesn't give a hoot about), so are they also releasing poor quality products and should be avoided as well? I guess after eliminating both of them... Matrox anybody? No friend of mine has ever had problems with them. Or perhaps we should go back to 3dfx, as we've had better luck overall...?

You get what I'm driving it.

While it's perfectly fine to be guarded or reserved after having trouble with particular products, the relevancy of one's personal experience to overall opinions about a company is basically nil. What it DOES tell you is to be more careful about what you purchase an where and how, and to look around for more reviews and opinions to get the most complete picture you can--or at least a clear enough picture to satisfy.

That, or buy extended warranties. ;)

Shit happens. Sometimes shit happens to us in more coincidental ways. But shit SELDOM reflects the overall picture in any realistic way.

Paul . I've had many sony car speakers fail on me. I had 2 12 inch subs of thiers fail on me. I've also had 2 set top dvd players fail on my father and 1 40 inch hdtv fail on me. So in my experiance sony sells crap products.

Add this to the fact that the first run of sony playstations were plagued with production problems and they needed to do a bug fixed version of it. I think i have enough "proof" that sony sells crap. Thats why i buy toshiba

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3055591.stm

Sony laptops in electric shock risk

The Vaio series of laptops are popular with consumers
About 18,000 Vaio laptops are being recalled by electronics giant Sony because of the risk of an electric shock to users.
The problem is with faulty modems, which means that people could receive a shock when making a phone call and using the Vaio at the same time.

http://wstonline.com/story/techwire/TWB20030418S0003

Sony Recalls More Vaio Desktops Due To Faulty Power Supplies

In a case of deja vu all over again, Sony said on Friday it is recalling 20,000 Vaio desktop PCs in Japan to replace defective power supplies.
In December, Sony recalled a similar number of Vaio computers from the U.S. and Canada for the same problem.

Glitches in the power supplies make it impossible to turn on the computers.

The affected Vaio models include the upscale PCV-RZ50, RZ60, and RZ70P desktops.

Two different problems...same company. :LOL:

Be prepared for the PS3, I heard it provides Emotion Synthesis and beyond...gives a new meaning to Shock and Awe :p

jvd said:
Paul . I've had many sony car speakers fail on me. I had 2 12 inch subs of thiers fail on me. I've also had 2 set top dvd players fail on my father and 1 40 inch hdtv fail on me. So in my experiance sony sells crap products.

Add this to the fact that the first run of sony playstations were plagued with production problems and they needed to do a bug fixed version of it. I think i have enough "proof" that sony sells crap. Thats why i buy toshiba

But I cannot buy a Toshiba PS2 or Toshiba PS3 later on. Heh heh !

Recently, I have also replaced my failed Sony TV with a Toshiba TV after the Sony served me 10 years.

I have luck with Sony as the TV is my only failed Sony product. May be because I didn't selected the cheapest model.

I am indeed pretty lucky with consumer electronics, no appliance have failed me before I want to replace them, ha ha ! Except some crappy PC add in cards.

Heh, I had luck with just about every electronic device I ever purchased. Casio's wristwatches and Casiopeia have survived amazing amount of physical abuse. Sony's monitor and PS2 are being used non-stop for years now (I rarely even switch the monitor off now that I think about it) Toshiba TV works like charm. Years old IBM's harddrive has traveled for thousands of miles in my pocket in cars (on the worst east European roads imaginable), planes and trains... Even the most cheapass electronics, like Kamacrown, have never failed on me :)

I can hardly complain myself, with any of the products that I own actually. The PS2 runs fine, only once did I have to clean the dust a bit (it used to switch off due to overheating). PS2 runs practically everyday non-stop, so I am quite satisfied with the quality. That goes for all the other products which range from Sony, Philips, Amiga (heh, my monitor hehe), Denon etc...

Speaking of which, my friend has quite a few products of his own, but they all seem to fail after about a year of extensive usage. The Sony receiver he bought has problems.. the Sharp MDs and many more. He just seems to have a lot of bad luck, I can't explain it. And there's not even much dust in his room (less than what you'll find at my place..).

BTW, cthellis42 that was a wonderful post. :)

maskrider said:
jvd said:

But I cannot buy a Toshiba PS2 or Toshiba PS3 later on. Heh heh !

Recently, I have also replaced my failed Sony TV with a Toshiba TV after the Sony served me 10 years.

I have luck with Sony as the TV is my only failed Sony product. May be because I didn't selected the cheapest model.

I am indeed pretty lucky with consumer electronics, no appliance have failed me before I want to replace them, ha ha ! Except some crappy PC add in cards.

You miss my point. Every company has a certian amount of bad products . Its like everything else in the world. Every think has a certian amount of bad in them. Heck sometimes i get battires that don't work . Crap happens. Just need to deal with it .

And why are you telling me this jvd? Do you really think I care? IMO Samsung makes crap TV's, gonna try and change that opinion? Guess again.

You think Sony is crap? I don't care, your opinion and maybe based on your experience it's a very valid one.

Why are you letting this topic keep going? It already has took a 180 and went entirely off-topic.

Paul said:
And why are you telling me this jvd? Do you really think I care? IMO Samsung makes crap TV's, gonna try and change that opinion? Guess again.

You think Sony is crap? I don't care, your opinion and maybe based on your experience it's a very valid one.

Why are you letting this topic keep going? It already has took a 180 and went entirely off-topic.

Heh. Paul you need to learn that everyone has diffrent experiances. No one is trying to tell you that your views are not vaild and your experiances are not valid. But for ever experiance or belief that you have another person has one that completely goes against yours. So stating your opinion that samsung makes crap tvs as fact is no corret. That is what I'm trying to point out to you. Simple as that . As to why I let this topic continue when it went off topic is simply that it has a lot of good information that it should stay open. But now that I'm on lunch I'm actually going to lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back