Sony's possible answer to the NR controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
rabidrabbit said:
You must place the Eye Toy facing you, and also facing the very bright projector light beam that's coming from above/behind you. In addition the room must be quite dark for the picture.
Interesting point [considerations]. But if the projector is focussed onto the screen and the EyeToy is below the screen, will this actually matter? All that bright light is constrained to a localised area and anything outside that area shouldn't be hit by the bright light.[/considerations]

Guden Oden said:
As opposed to what, a standard controller? :LOL:

No silly, standard controller is already copied a long time ago :LOL: As opposed to something more cutting edge in technology that Nintendo could R&D with their stash of cash.

It's not as if every console maker on earth have been busy copying Nintendo's controllers since the early 80s, oh no... ;)

Yeah, definitely oh no... for Nintendo if this one is copied too.

Powderkeg said:
Limiting your arm and hand movements to only delibrate, intentional motions is about as unnatural as you can get though.
LOL :LOL: :LOL:
I get a picture of you, with your arms flailing wildly around you as you try to hit the keys.

gokickrocks said:
i dont know about you, but when i play snookers, sometimes there's an obstacle that is in front of the ball i want to hit so i dont always directly point the stick in the same direction as the ball

You can't hit the ball if you aren't pointing your stick at it, unless you are using some golf swing technique.

if someone speaks, why does it require you to turn your head?

Because it's instinctive. Virtually everyone in the world does it. Only the most anti-social of people don't respond when their name is called by turning to see who wants them.

if you are the kind of person that does that then wouldnt it have the same effect if you were using a regular controller?

Sure it does, but a normal gamepad doesn't give you game input just because you turned to look at something, does it? The Revolution controller does.

you would lose focus of the game with either controller...same point for the cough and sneeze, but with the revolution controller, you can cover your mouth with your free hand

Sure you lose your focus, but with the Revolution controller, moving the controller itself is a movement input to the game. I may sneeze so hard that I tosss the gamepad up in the air, but as long as I'm not pressing a stick or button, nothing happens in the game.

If you get an itch in your crotch and try to scratch it while holding the Revolution controller, every little wiggle of your hand is intepreted as a controller input in the game, causing you to walk, jump, look around, swing, etc... all unintentionally.

grabbing a drink while playing is worse off on the regular controller as it requires 2 hands, whereas the revolution's controller requires 1...or you can just PAUSE the damn game

I frequetly stop after a big battle, hold the controller with one hand, and take a quick sip off a Coke with the other. But that's not a problem since in the game, I'm just sitting there.

With the Revolution controller, you'll have to pause, unless you want to go walking off the edge of a cliff, or jump out from behind your cover on accident because you leaned over which made the controller move to the side which the game thinks is an intentional movement

now for the last point...the body has plenty of joints which will compensate...take a normal computer keyboard for example, your wrist compensates for the alignment of your arms

Which is what causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and why "Natural" keyboards are bent so that your wrists remain straight while typing, right?

Powderkeg said:
You can't hit the ball if you aren't pointing your stick at it, unless you are using some golf swing technique.

so lets say you have a situation like this..
Q O O (Q being the cue ball and the rightmost O being the ball you want to hit)
how are you going to hit the ball?

Because it's instinctive. Virtually everyone in the world does it. Only the most anti-social of people don't respond when their name is called by turning to see who wants them.

Sure it does, but a normal gamepad doesn't give you game input just because you turned to look at something, does it? The Revolution controller does.

there are plenty of people that are immersed into the game that wont respond by turning around, especially when it comes to kids

Sure you lose your focus, but with the Revolution controller, moving the controller itself is a movement input to the game. I may sneeze so hard that I tosss the gamepad up in the air, but as long as I'm not pressing a stick or button, nothing happens in the game.

If you get an itch in your crotch and try to scratch it while holding the Revolution controller, every little wiggle of your hand is intepreted as a controller input in the game, causing you to walk, jump, look around, swing, etc... all unintentionally.

so with a normal controller nothing happens because you are in a safe area in the game, but with a revolution controller, these little wiggles somehow bring you back on to the battefield once again...why would a little wiggle equate to walking back a hundred yards

I frequetly stop after a big battle, hold the controller with one hand, and take a quick sip off a Coke with the other. But that's not a problem since in the game, I'm just sitting there.

With the Revolution controller, you'll have to pause, unless you want to go walking off the edge of a cliff, or jump out from behind your cover on accident because you leaned over which made the controller move to the side which the game thinks is an intentional movement

large movements will probably effect your game, and this is where you should pause...you make it seem like the pause button is some kind of "who wants to be a millionare" lifeline where you are limited to using it

Which is what causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and why "Natural" keyboards are bent so that your wrists remain straight while typing, right?

i was just giving an example of how the body compensates on a "normal" keyboard...did i not mention that the body has plenty of joints, which does not only pertain to the wrist?

Last edited by a moderator:
gokickrocks said:
so lets say you have a situation like this..
Q O O (Q being the cue ball and the rightmost O being the ball you want to hit)
how are you going to hit the ball?

Which ball are you actually going to hit with the stick? the one you are pointing the stick at, right?

there are plenty of people that are immersed into the game that wont respond by turning around, especially when it comes to kids

What about the phone? Doorbell? Cat? dog? Fire alarm? Does the whole world stop when you game?

I've got just a few more important priorities in my life. Wife, kids, those sorts of things. I can't afford to ignore the whole world when I start a game.

so with a normal controller nothing happens because you are in a safe area in the game, but with a revolution controller, these little wiggles somehow bring you back on to the battefield once again...why would a little wiggle equate to walking back a hundred yards

I didn't say safe area. I may be standing on a cliff edge, or next to a pit. In fact, more often then not, I'm standing right next to some game objective that I'm not wanting to touch until after I've had my drink, or grabbing a potato chip while I'm flying down a long straight in a racing game.

large movements will probably effect your game, and this is where you should pause...you make it seem like the pause button is some kind of "who wants to be a millionare" lifeline where you are limited to using it

What about small movements? It's going to pick those up too. It will have to be sensitive enough to pick up adjustments of less than an inche or you won't get very far in your snookers game.

i was just giving an example of how the body compensates on a "normal" keyboard...did i not mention that the body has plenty of joints, which does not only pertain to the wrist?

The primary way the body compensates is by using the hands and arms as counter-balances to the torso, but with this controller, you can't do that.

Try this. Hold a pencil in your hand pointing straight forward. Don't rest your arm on anything.

Now, lean the opposite direction, and stick your hand out like you are grabbing something, but keep the pencil perfectly still while you do.

It's not exactly a natural movement, is it?

Opps,

On that last example. Hold the pencil in your right hand. lean to the left, and stretch out your left arm, but don't allow your right hand to move even a fraction of an inch.

Honestly, I think a lot of people are overthinking this new controller. It's still a prototype, and there's still quite a while before the thing will actually be available.

Generally, the idea of controlling a game with a pointer and real-life motions such as swinging a bat should be intuitive for anyone. Many people have concerns about sneezing and sitting positions and all of this kind of stuff, but I'm sure Nintendo has though of those things as well. And at the same time, we all know certain types of games (I'm thinking Madden Football) might be better served by a traditional controller. I'm not sure how anyone can be against a controller that isn't even available yet. And I'm not sure how anyone could be completely sold on a prototype controller they've never used either.

I think we should be happy that they're at least trying something different, because we all know Nintendo would lose if they didn't do something to differentiate themselves from Sony and Microsoft. We can just hope it turns out well, and if it doesn't, buy a Playstation or an Xbox.

I think from all fronts (Sony eye - toy 1 &2 and the new Nintendo controller/ MS suggested eye-toy like device ) are NEEDED in the industry. I want to see gaming companies look outside the box especially when it comes to interaction with the games. We all look for a more immersive gaming experience with perhaps true VR (Star Trek Halo sp? Deck :))being the ultimate form. Now dont get me wrong what companys are attempting now is far from VR and each company probably has their own idea on what is a gamers immersive experience at this point. Then again I see the changes from what we have now (current controllers, eye-toy, Nintendos new controller) as small steps (or attempts) to advance the gamer to a more immersive experience.

Think about how the controller routes have gone so far. (very simple terms not including mouse & keyboard here) from D-pad 2-4 buttons (I know joysticks and paddles earlier but for simple example :)), combine to Analog sticks then triggers and rumble. Now we are beginning to see a more physical interaction (thus IMO more immersive if done correctly) from simple pointing to movement, gestures, full body movement, Physical capture or picture of a player, and even vibration, but again if done correctly it could bring more immersive state to gaming as a whole if and when the technology matures and talented developers take advantage of it.

I think we are basicly seeing each company trying to take gaming to the next lvl in the way of interaction and each one using a different path to get there. (One more Visual / one more physical) Sure some controllers dont work out for every game type and some are not meant to but they do serve as good testing points. As a whole I think we are at least trying to move towards "more" interactivity within games. Now when will we get full immersive interactivity in games is another story :)

You went completely off-topic...
CLOSED.

(BTW, Powderkeg stop downplaying a controller you've never tried everywhere on this boards derailing every thread with little if any arguments, that's annoying.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back