Sony's Corporate liabilities exceed $100 Billion - much like other large companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect them to triple it by 2013. Especially if they can knock off another $100.

Hasn't the ps3 sold worse this year than any other year so far ? Also while the ps3 has gotten a boost the wii and 360 can also go through redesigns.

I just don't share your optimisim because I don't believe that any one of these companys has more moves than any other. MS has a slim design so does the wii (don't think it matters there though) they all have killer games coming down the pipeline and if any of them launch a new console earlier it can take sales away from the other consoles. Not only that but if they keep selling at a loss or near a loss its going to continue to make them further in the red and have to sell more and more software.

Hasn't the ps3 sold worse this year than any other year so far ?

That was before the price drop, slim design and release of some really amazing games though. Whether that's sufficient to do anything sustainable, we'll have to see. The economy seems to be recovering too. Hopefully people open up their wallets a bit more.

Hasn't the ps3 sold worse this year than any other year so far ? Also while the ps3 has gotten a boost the wii and 360 can also go through redesigns.
PS3 is selling more units at a far higher price. That is, there's more interest in the system but the higher price has been off-putting. As the price drops, demand should increase further. What Nintendo and MS do regards price is almost immaterial IMO. MS already has a significant price advantage, so a shrink won't net benefits, but they should get sales on aesthetic and upgraders. Wii isn't competing directly with PS3/XB360 dollars, so even if they were selling Wii's for 50 bucks, people who want the HD consoles would still get them.

Of course that's assuming nothing changes except price. The introduction of Natal, or cheap standalone BRD players, may shift interest away from PS3, or maybe Sony's marketing and things like EyePet and motion will increase interest. We can't prediuct the future with any certainty. What we can say though is all things being equal, decreasing the price of PS3 from $500 to $200 and lower is going to open it up to a lot of new buyers, and we should expect the majority of lifetime sales to happen at the lower pricepoints like it always has done with consoles. Thus if 20 million now, by generation end you'd anticipate >40 million, as only doubling sales would place halfway sales at a very high pricepoint. 60 million units would have some two thirds of sales at $300 and lower.

Hasn't the ps3 sold worse this year than any other year so far ?
2007 was way worse than 2009 so far. 28% lower than 2009 in the US.
eastmen said:
Also while the ps3 has gotten a boost the wii and 360 can also go through redesigns.
You need engineers for redesigns and you need excess size for size reductions.

I'm confused on this thread since most people seem to be sure that this doesn't really mean much their debt besides they have leveraged their capital already to a fair degree and of course will be harder to get more credit as their liabilities increase.

If I were you I wouldn't be worrying about Sony debt right now. By 2011 the USA will have a $10 trillion public debt, 67% of GDP- the highest in the world, that figure would halt US growth for a decade.

http://buttonwood.economist.com/content/gdc?source=hptextfeature

Yeah, I know 67% is so much higher than 205.8% and that 205.8% is Japan (currently at 186.6%). Few other countries with higher debt than 67% of their GDP in 2011; France 95.7%, Germany 88.1%, United Kingdom 94.3%, Canada 76.0%, Norway 67.8%, Spain 89.9%, and plenty more. If you had checked the excel sheet there you would see in 2010 there is 32 countries ahead of the US in 2010 (the excel sheet doesn't have the data for 2011 they are showing on the flash).

http://buttonwood.economist.com/sites/all/files/Debt clock_1-1.xls

The Western world revolves around the concept of debt...

2007 was way worse than 2009 so far. 28% lower than 2009 in the US.
You need engineers for redesigns and you need excess size for size reductions.

and in the case of the 360 you believe that htere isn't room for size reductions ?

MS should be able to combine the cpu and gpu with the edram onto one die so they should be able to shrink a 5 year old design at this point.

I'm not sure aobut the wii .

Why in the world is this turning into another versus thread? Sony financials have absolutely zero to do with the X360. If this is moving towards another VERSUS thread, I'd vote for the mods to just lock it.

And again, liabilities aren't anything to be overly concerned about. Liabilities are a normal part of doing business. Debt is important because that represents actual cash that is owed to other entities.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back