Sony to ship major PS3 firmware update next March + Update 1.3 talk*

No, not really.

I mean, I watch regular DVD's on my Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player. It already has close to the best upscaling available anywhere.

I can also watch Bluray as intended, but with this update I can't do that if I want the XMB displayed at 720p. This was not an issue before the update and it is another oversight (in a long series of them) by Sony.

I guess I feel a little bit sorry for those 1080i CRT folks that have been affected by the scaling issues. I didn't care so much before, but now that I have been affected by a similar but different issue, I think it bites.

And that just so happens to be what most of this thread is now about.

I'll agree to disagree.

The OP was about the March update. You making one post saying the 1.3 update (straying off topic) is out today does not change the subject matter.

Bah, I'll let it be...no matter how ridiculous I think it is....seeing that others started talking about 1.3 as well (even asking the subject to be changed...pretty ballsy)

EDIT: Btw, I apologize. I am still PMS'ing about this update and I guess I kind of projected that frustration into this thread. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no issues with the 1.3 update. It does seem like some poor people are in a Sony beta test though.

It's a bit like the launch of an online game or MMORPG. Because devs know they can patch after they ship, they ship with more bugs than with a normal product.

Anyway I did manage to get YDL installed on my PS3 this evening.

Odd thing is that I haven't been able to get 1080p working correctly yet. 720p and 1080i work perfectly fine. 1080p works fine in the GameOS. I just haven't been able to get it going under linux. Intentional limitation?

Bah, I'll let it be...no matter how ridiculous I think it is....seeing that others started talking about 1.3 as well (even asking the subject to be changed...pretty ballsy)

EDIT: Btw, I apologize. I am still PMS'ing about this update and I guess I kind of projected that frustration into this thread. Sorry.

Clockwork, did you file your complain to Sony ? (What's so ballsy about requesting subject change ? ^_^ ). It seems that if the next firmware scale Blu-ray to 720p, then you should be fine too (Just set your preferred output to 720p only) ? Or do you want another solution ? I'm so busy these few days that I have not even opened my PS3 box yet.

Clockwork, did you file your complain to Sony ? (What's so ballsy about requesting subject change ? ^_^ ). It seems that if the next firmware scale Blu-ray to 720p, then you should be fine too (Just set your preferred output to 720p only) ? Or do you want another solution ? I'm so busy these few days that I have not even opened my PS3 box yet.

I will be sending feedback regarding the update, yes.

For now I have set the PS3 to 1080i (with support for 480p/720p check as as well). For now I can live with the XMB being output at 1080i then downscaled via my tv (even though it doesn't look as good imho).

I better solution would be be how the system was set up before, where you could set the res for the XMB and then depending on the app (Bluray, game, etc) it would output at the max resolution your tv supported (as long as the game/movie supported it as well). That allowed my to run XMB at 720p, but watch Bluray movies at 1080i.

I better solution would be be how the system was set up before, where you could set the res for the XMB and then depending on the app (Bluray, game, etc) it would output at the max resolution your tv supported (as long as the game/movie supported it as well). That allowed my to run XMB at 720p, but watch Bluray movies at 1080i.

Isn't that what the Auto setting does?

Odd thing is that I haven't been able to get 1080p working correctly yet. 720p and 1080i work perfectly fine. 1080p works fine in the GameOS. I just haven't been able to get it going under linux. Intentional limitation?

That shouldn't be a problem though ... what have you tried so far? I suppose you are using those numbers (indexed video settings) in the config file as described in the FAQ?

I'm really looking forward to your impressions of YDL, though probably in another thread ...

Isn't that what the Auto setting does?

No.

Because the auto setting will now automatically set to the highest resolution your tv can accept input for. In my case my tv can accept a 1080i signal, but it's a 720p native display.

I explained it all in the post above.

I understand your assumption, and before this update it essentially worked that way. Now it does not.

... don't you just love technology these days... seriously, it was SO much better when we had a TV, no resolutions to worry about... or all the other things we have to worry about these days... It's unbelievable how consumer-unfriendly things have become in the last few years.

Seems a bit silly to set it to the highest resolution (if 1080p isn't available), they should do it in the order everyone prefers (or most people should I say)

720p --> 1080i --> 480p --> 480i

Seems a bit silly to set it to the highest resolution (if 1080p isn't available), they should do it in the order everyone prefers (or most people should I say)

720p --> 1080i --> 480p --> 480i

Mmmm where did you get the "most people" from?

A lot of people have reported that it's better to keep output to 1080i and let their TV downscale, than setting the output to 720p directly. If they are the minority or the majority, i don't know, but you shouldn't know either.

Confirming something which were neither indicated nor promised is rather pointless :???:

disagree

they were/are checklist items that people have been expecting/hoping for (here and elsewhere).

It was just a clear cut post to indicate yes/no on several questions in advance and allow users to see that no, those have not yet been addressed.

Mmmm where did you get the "most people" from?

A lot of people have reported that it's better to keep output to 1080i and let their TV downscale, than setting the output to 720p directly. If they are the minority or the majority, i don't know, but you shouldn't know either.

It sounds like people want a default order for the preferred resolution, and then override it with application specific order (e.g., Blu-ray viewing, Resistance:FoM, ...).

It sounds like people want a default order for the preferred resolution, and then override it with application specific order (e.g., Blu-ray viewing, Resistance:FoM, ...).

that would seem to solve the lack of an automatic scaler

having either/or settings would at least allow people to not have to manually select their output per application.

maybe that will finally be the work around for the resolution issue.

Back